VeraMaria Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 Today me and my family (my parents and my two brothers) went to this Easter lunch thing at the house of one of my parent’s friends. There were like 5 families there. This one family was really Catholic. LoL, that may sound strange and weird, but my parents are so anti-religious ( ), and so are most of their friends. I couldn’t help noticing all the little things this family did . They had four children (2, 5, 7 and 8, I think). When the 5 year old girl and 7 year old boy saw how one of the other kids was crying because she hadn’t found any eggs, they immediately gave theirs to her with a smile. The seven year old whispered to his older sister “another sacrifice for jesus!”, to which the 8 year old responded “lent is over…but still, offer it up!” or something like that . Later on, one of them was talking exitedly about how Father Miguel was going to bless her new miraculous medal today at Mass, and another one was explaining the Easter story to other children who had asked why they were leaving early to go to Mass, with joy that was bubbling over . It was just so strange, you could see something different between them and the other kids. The way they treated each other too. And when my little brother commented on our great-uncle, who died last month, one of them said earnestly "I'll pray for him!" which m ade the other kids STARE (all raised in completely secular homes!). When the time to eat came and their parents saw how no one had the intention of saying grace, they went over to the table where the children were eating and quietly said a short prayer with their children. When they went to the adult’s table, where I was sitting too, they looked at each other as everyone started eating and talking loudly, and they bowed their heads for a moment, then started eating. Laughing, joking, etc, they were like others there. There was something different though...i dont know. When my parents and their friends started talking uncharitably (gossiping) about other friends, they were always quick to say nice things about those people. When homosexual marriages came up, and everyone on the table (I was just sitting there, ignored, lol ) was agreeing how it should be legal, they looked at each other when asked their opinion, and calmly explained why they were against it. There was something so warm between them. Those looks they exchanged, the way they talked to each other, the way their children were so willing to help... That’s what I want if I get married. I want a husband who will be my best friend, who will laugh, cry, joke, pray with me. Someone I can share EVERYTHING with, someone who loves Christ and his Church as much as I do, and wants to raise our children that way. Someone who understands me, because right now it seems like no one does. Someone who thinks it’s not weird to want to stop at a church in the middle of the day to pray. Someone who will fast with me during Lent. Someone who is stronger than peer pressure in High School, and is willing to wait and pray for his future wife. I’m sorry for this weird post, it’s just that I’ve given up hoping I’ll ever meet someone like that . Sigh, most guys I know are exactly the opposite of the above. Oh well, I pray for him everyday, and if God is calling me to religious life, here I am. That concludes the random ramblings of the day...just had to get that out of my system....
littleflower+JMJ Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 oh vera those are my thoughts exactly! thats how i feel also..... you are not alone...having a wonderful catholic family would be one of hte greatest blessings in the world... and its here at phatmass...where i meet other couples who have awesome relationships and families, and other catholic youth who give me hope that God's in control. i know how at times it can be "down" because all we have to look around at our society and culture to know darkness.. but its hope, trust and prayers that keep that fire burning........God's in control God bless. +JMJ
ilovechrist Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 i'm just gonna do a fast reply in here, and drag a small quote from your post-- "That’s what I want if I get married. I want a husband who will be my best friend, who will laugh, cry, joke, pray with me. Someone I can share EVERYTHING with, someone who loves Christ and his Church as much as I do, and wants to raise our children that way. Someone who understands me, because right now it seems like no one does. Someone who thinks it’s not weird to want to stop at a church in the middle of the day to pray. Someone who will fast with me during Lent. Someone who is stronger than peer pressure in High School, and is willing to wait and pray for his future wife." and i say- AWESOME. thats the attitude u need to have toward this with looking for a future husband! i'm still trying to discern my vocation, and right now, even though Father has really put me on the spot a couple times, i still feel that i'm called torwards a happy Catholic marriage... we'll see
VeraMaria Posted April 12, 2004 Author Posted April 12, 2004 [quote name='littleflower' date='JMJ+Apr 11 2004, 08:44 PM'] oh vera those are my thoughts exactly! thats how i feel also..... you are not alone...having a wonderful catholic family would be one of hte greatest blessings in the world... and its here at phatmass...where i meet other couples who have awesome relationships and families, and other catholic youth who give me hope that God's in control. i know how at times it can be "down" because all we have to look around at our society and culture to know darkness, but its hope, trust and prayers that keep that fire burning........ God bless. +JMJ [/quote] yay! I'm not alone! I wasn't raised in a Catholic family, and when I see Catholic couples and Catholic families who show their faith in little ways, it just sticks to me. And then I feel like I will never have that becasue the guys i know are rather....aaaa.....lol, ok, like you say: hope trust and prayers
littleflower+JMJ Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 [quote]And then I feel like I will never have that becasue the guys i know are rather....aaaa.....[/quote] yup i know what you mean.. believe me i do....
VeraMaria Posted April 12, 2004 Author Posted April 12, 2004 hmmm....guys that fit the description...do they exist....lol j/k.... i'm such a hopeless dreamer...lol
Iacobus Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 I am a good Catholic guy according to most people, lol. So they do exist but most of them are isolated or looking at Holy Orders, lol. I don't have time to read the full post but I think I know what you are talking about. If I am called to married life (60% chance, lol) I will raise my family in the Church. I rember my freshmen year looking out the bus window into one of my friends living rooms every morning during Christmas prep (advent) and wishing that my family was like that. It seems so prefect. Of course it isn't but we can all dream.
ilovechrist Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 <waves> HI! i fit the description (friends can yell at me if i'm wrong, but i'm working on it!!) we all do dream a lot.. for those who get 7+ hrs sleep that night that is.
Iacobus Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 At least you havn't had a dream that a PMer kicked you out of their house for agreeing with them... LOL I need help!
luciana Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 Thank you VeraMaria for your post. I needed a good cry You're not alone in your thinking, guys. I want that 'perfect" faith-filled family, too. Sometimes. I think God is sending me the message that religious life is for me, because it is hard to meet the right guy. You have the right attitude. Keep praying and leaving it up to God's will. Happy Easter and God bless! :wub:
littleflower+JMJ Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 listening to "set me as a seal on your heart" by matt maher... [i]i looked for you, the one my heart loves, i looked for you, but did not find you, searched thru the nite till i rested in your sight, now i will never let you go [/i] lyrics are absolutely amazing. :wub: all from scripture!
luciana Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 (edited) Yeah, I know, isn't that weird that if we sleep too little we don't remember our dreams? Doctors say we still do dream on those short nights. So I only remember my dreams on the weekends and vacation time. I guess I still dream during the week, probably about my future husband,lol Edited April 12, 2004 by labrego
VeraMaria Posted April 12, 2004 Author Posted April 12, 2004 [quote name='Iacobus' date='Apr 11 2004, 09:55 PM'] At least you havn't had a dream that a PMer kicked you out of their house for agreeing with them... LOL I need help! [/quote] not yet but i'm sure i'm eventually getting to it!!!
VeraMaria Posted April 12, 2004 Author Posted April 12, 2004 [quote name='labrego' date='Apr 11 2004, 10:02 PM'] Yeah, I know, isn't that weird that if we sleep too little we don't remember our dreams? Doctors say we still do dream on those short nights. So I only remember my dreams on the weekends and vacation time. I guess I still dream during the week, probably about my future husband,lol [/quote] hmmm...i seriously have the weirdest dreams.... recently PMers and Catholics have been in them way too often.... with finals, acting 2 showcase, and the spanish AP coming up, i guess i wont be remembering my dreams for a while
luciana Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 (edited) Just thinking about one part of your writing: [quote]....This one family was really Catholic. LoL, that may sound strange and weird, but my parents are s....[/quote] What's sad is that that isn't weird;most families aren't so strong in their faith like that one appears according to your description. My family isn't anti-religious like you said yours is, but i guess they would be the typical immigrant cradle Catholic family. not to say that some family members aren't strong in their Faith, but some are you know, blah<_<--faith is something for Sunday. Unfortunately, because of the laissez-faire attitude towards religion some family members have left the Church Wait, I shouldn't end on such a sad note on this great day, lol! Reading that description gave me hope and also I have a good storyto tell: Today, at Easter lunc/dinner at my aunt's I brough as Easter gifts a couple of extra copies(6) I had of that 100 quest. on the passion book and some of my non-denominational and fallen-away family members and one of my cuz.'s friend took them. May God work mightily through them! I didn't think any of them would take it. God is awesome! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: The coincidence was that my cuz had brought a bootleg copy of the Passion( I know, I know it's wrong) and so that helped them want to take it. Edited April 12, 2004 by labrego
VeraMaria Posted April 12, 2004 Author Posted April 12, 2004 My parents aren't even lukewarm "faith = sundays" They have something against religion in general. I did my first communion when I was 9, but we never went to church, and i had to fight my way to confirmation. Getting to Sunday Mass is a battle every week. My mom throws out my books about saints etc and sighs she wishes i was a "normal girl" I am the only religious member of my family, and the sad part is watching my brothers (9 and 12) growing up without any type of religious education...it's beginning to show in the 12 year old. I'm worried the way he's going he's going to end up w/o morals at all
luciana Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 (edited) I'l l pray for them tonight Pray for my pham,too. Communion of Saints power! I have a variety --lukewarm, agnostic and anti-Catholic all within my immediate and extended family! God conquers all! I'm sure you're agood ex. for your little brothers VeraMaria! Check out my updated post above for a little smile! Edited April 12, 2004 by labrego
immaculata Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 Vera, You just described my best friend's family!! They are the ones who really inspired me to become stronger in my faith. When I first met him, I was kinda so-so about religion.. it wasn't really that big of deal to me. Then I met his family and saw what a powerful force their faith is in their life, and I really wanted to feel that sort of peace in my own house. Thank God for Holy Families!
VeraMaria Posted April 12, 2004 Author Posted April 12, 2004 [quote name='immaculata' date='Apr 11 2004, 10:38 PM'] Thank God for Holy Families! [/quote] We need a whole bunch of holy families growing in love and working AMDG!!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now