cmotherofpirl Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 Vera you also described my best friends family. I practically moved in with them when I was thirteen. I was an only child and my parents didn't bother with Church. I lived at there house, and went to Church with them. Everything I learned about a Catholic family I learned from them. Its been 40+ years and they are still a Catholic family, there's just a lot more of them. And I still consider them family.
VeraMaria Posted April 12, 2004 Author Posted April 12, 2004 Strong Catholic families are one of the coolest things....*hums to the tune of "My Favorite things"* You and immaculata are an example of how those families affect the world around them....
hopeful1 Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 i think that's a beautiful dream vera, and one i hope will someday happen to me. your post made me smile. i totally understand where you're coming from too, my dad's a pew warmer when he feels like coming (which has been rare since my jr yr of hs) catholic and my mom was raised baptist but was never baptised (although she's a little more religious than my dad). in fact the only reason i am catholic at all is because i got baptised when i started going to catholic schools in kindergarden- so i wasn't really raised with a strong catholic family either. Thankfully i had my teachers to look up too. sometimes i have doubts about ever having that dream too, i even have someone in mind that i beleieved that God was showing to me in my ideal husband, but even then i have doubt if i can ever meet another person like him or if what i saw in him was stuff i could only dream of seeing. I even have doubts if such a relationship/marriage is even possible in a world like today. But then i look at those couples in church, the same ones that you were talking about that get to you, especially those that have been married 10, 25, 50 years and are there with there families, and then i think to myself "maybe it is still possible". if you feel that you are called to marriage, please do not give up on this dream. remember, with God all things are possible. remember that, and remember to pray for your future husband.
Paladin D Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 I don't know if I'm called to the priesthood or not, we'll just have to wait and see. But if I am to start a family... (75% chance, my estimate) they will definately be raised Catholic.
Paladin D Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 [quote name='Ashley' date='Apr 12 2004, 07:20 PM'] I am sorry, but that is kind of pathetic. -_- [/quote] Pathetic to have a nice, moral family? I feel sorry for you.
Ashley Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 Patheitc to be sighing and pining about this "perfect" family and husband who is also, of course, a perfect model Catholic . Honey, open your eyes, it ain't going to happen.
Paladin D Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 [quote name='Ashley' date='Apr 12 2004, 07:44 PM'] Patheitc to be sighing and pining about this "perfect" family and husband who is also, of course, a perfect model Catholic . Honey, open your eyes, it ain't going to happen. [/quote] People can dream. If dreams didn't exist, humanity would most likely be dead. Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream, and it came true. Grow up.
Iacobus Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 I dream about what my family will be. I dream we all dream. Different dreams. You don't dream or think the same as a Catholic does. You see the world differently than us. We see it in the "sacrmental" glasses. The Catholic Myth (by Fr. Greerly (sp?)) is all about it.
Ashley Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 If you want to keep dreaming about your perfect Catholic knight coming to rescue you, VeraMaria, immaculata and others, go ahead. I was just being realistic. Go ahead and be optimistic then, you are young. Don't come crying to me when you find reality.
littleflower+JMJ Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 [quote name='Ashley' date='Apr 12 2004, 06:53 PM'] If you want to keep dreaming about your perfect Catholic knight coming to rescue you, VeraMaria, immaculata and others, go ahead. I was just being realistic. Go ahead and be optimistic then, you are young. Don't come crying to me when you find reality. [/quote] ashley, why would having a good catholic family NOT be reality? in fact, here at phatmass, we have a booming number of Catholic Families and couples fulfilling what many of us dream of one day having....anything is possible with God. may i ask...how old are you? that you already know the future? to not have hope, is so sad. God bless you Ashley. +JMJ
Paladin D Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 [quote name='Ashley' date='Apr 12 2004, 07:53 PM'] If you want to keep dreaming about your perfect Catholic knight coming to rescue you, VeraMaria, immaculata and others, go ahead. I was just being realistic. Go ahead and be optimistic then, you are young. Don't come crying to me when you find reality. [/quote] Uh, they exist right here on Phatmass, [b]Ashley[/b]. [b]You[/b] need to be realistic.
Iacobus Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 [quote name='Ashley' date='Apr 12 2004, 07:53 PM'] If you want to keep dreaming about your perfect Catholic knight coming to rescue you, VeraMaria, immaculata and others, go ahead. I was just being realistic. Go ahead and be optimistic then, you are young. Don't come crying to me when you find reality. [/quote] Ashley, you have something against Catholics. Or so it seems, why? Ashley et al: Catholic families ARE REAL. I see them everyday. I live next to one. I love the family the life. I wish I was blessed with that. I am not sure how it is inpossible. I know MANY good Catholic men who dream the same dreams.
mom25angels Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 [quote name='Ashley' date='Apr 12 2004, 06:53 PM'] If you want to keep dreaming about your perfect Catholic knight coming to rescue you, VeraMaria, immaculata and others, go ahead. I was just being realistic. Go ahead and be optimistic then, you are young. Don't come crying to me when you find reality. [/quote] Oh, Ashley. Why so jaded? There are Catholic Knights out there.....I'm hopefully producing one myself. As long as there are Catholic families, family life will survive! I'm praying for you, for the hurt I "hear" in your posts. In Christ, Sarah
BLAZEr Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 Looks like Ashley needs a dose of the old CL threads . . . to help her be awake to her desires!
immaculata Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 [quote name='Ashley' date='Apr 12 2004, 06:53 PM'] If you want to keep dreaming about your perfect Catholic knight coming to rescue you, VeraMaria, immaculata and others, go ahead. [/quote] umm, honey. I've FOUND mine, thank you so much.
Norseman82 Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 The problem is not that people are unrealistic for wanting a good virtuous Catholic spouse; the problem is that too many Catholics don't put faith and morals at the top of their list when seeking a spouse but instead persecute us with the same words that Ashley used. One sad story: last year I was helping my aunt with her new computer. During the course of conversation, she mentioned something to the effect that in today's world marrying divorced people is acceptable whereas previously it wasn't (she is a practicing Catholic). My response was - in a calm yet frustrated voice - was along the lines of "you know, we're dragged off to church and taught all this stuff (I may have used the word "brainwashed" for all I know) and now all of a sudden you're pulling the rug out from all that we've been taught". (Not that I feel that Catholic teaching is brainwashing, but sometimes you need to shock people into realizing how they are reneging on their Catholic faith and values and the hurt it causes us). The sad part is that that visit was the last time I saw my uncle (and godfather) alive.
PedroX Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 I agree (as is so often the case) with Norseman. In so many ways we have been sold counterfeit goods. The people who should be our examples in holiness sometimes can seem to be on vacation, spiritually. That is part of why Phatmass is so great. We know that we are not alone. We see shining examples of the Christian life both older (Cmom, JasJis, Anna etc) our peers (Norseman, Princess Bling, The Adam's etc) and the younger ones (Flowery, Vera, Pal, Al, etc). Vera, and others, keep dreaming and praying and most of all keep being faithful. You are an inspiration and a great help to us, and to those who come after you. peace...
marielapin Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 Vera, Immaculata, Flowery, and all, don't give up on your dream. I feel so blessed to have a husband that is my best friend, one that truly understands me, one that will slap my hand away from the cookie jar during Lent, one that will fast and abstain with me, one that will confide in me, one that I can go to Confession with. ...and THAT is reality. His family is also like the one you described. I hope one day to be able to be like them. Don't give up faith, there are nice Catholic boys out there that are waiting for the right girl. You have the proof right here on this phorum.
immaculata Posted April 13, 2004 Posted April 13, 2004 [quote name='marielapin' date='Apr 13 2004, 09:59 AM'] Vera, Immaculata, Flowery, and all, don't give up on your dream. I feel so blessed to have a husband that is my best friend, one that truly understands me, one that will slap my hand away from the cookie jar during Lent, one that will fast and abstain with me, one that will confide in me, one that I can go to Confession with. ...and THAT is reality. His family is also like the one you described. I hope one day to be able to be like them. Don't give up faith, there are nice Catholic boys out there that are waiting for the right girl. You have the proof right here on this phorum. [/quote] :wub: :wub: :wub: I LOVE YOU MARIELAPIN!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now