An Old School Catholic Message Board

Domincan Nuns' Habit

Luigi

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='17 March 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1268847723' post='2074644']
I think being concerned about religious decorum is a good idea because:

1. The laity are easily scandalized
2. there's that painful clash that happens when someone dignified (a religious) is juxtaposed doing something undignified (the Macarena)

on the other hand, some Communities have a charism of being "with" the laity in a different way. So they might not have that emphasis on a special "religious" kind of decorum ... but more on proper Christian decorum ...

Hmmm its interesting ...
[/quote]

:yes: I agree...I think the main thing to consider is that their intentions are good... :saint:

DevotedtoHim

I really liked the old habits for the Dominicans. Actually, I guess I like ANY habit that has a wimple! I have some really pretty holy cards of Dominican saints, and I guess I just love the old fashioned habit. I heard that the Menlo Park Dominicans are returning to the original habit.

Has anybody seen the rap video on youtube.com called "The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail" ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBVjzWoxKg

I bring it up because of all the talk about the Pope's zucchetto (I never knew what that was called until this whole thread). Anyway, I watched it again yesterday because this thread reminded me of it. I don't really like rap, but I like this song. And of course, for sure, I LOVE the pictures (video).

I think that video says something about the Pope's garments!

Katherine

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='17 March 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1268857325' post='2074786']
The thing is, you never know what will set people off. Like if shrimp was on sale, and she bought shrimp, and somebody was scandalized by how "well" they were eating ... rash judgment is a widespread problem nowadays; which is why religious are so careful ...
[/quote]

I know what you mean! [size="2"]People would assume that everything we had our cart was for us[font="Segoe UI"][font="Segoe UI"]. [/font][/font][/size]I used to do the shopping for our children's home, and if I was buying ice cream or popsicles in summer it would never fail -- someone would look in my cart and make a remark such as "Boy, the sisters are having a party tonight aren't they?" Or if we were having some priests over for dinner and I was buying steaks, someone would say "Well Well! You gals are living pretty high on the hog, aren't you? That must be some vow of poverty you all have."

Wasn't anyone bothered by the picture with the nun holding up the garters? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img]

DevotedtoHim

Yes, Sister, I thought the garter thing was also sort of strange and disrespectful. Like someone else said I thought stuff that the foundresses had are relics. But I also thought the photos of the dead nun that they had on their blog was really gross!!!!
Katherine

i feel sorry for the moniales op for the comments they receive here :mellow: . i know they don't have the intention to desecrate things. by the way they have the comments section at their blogsite.

Saint Therese

This thread may be the low point of this phorum.

From the Catechism:

2478 T[b]o avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor's thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:
Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another's statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love.[/b] If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved.[279]

2479 Detraction and calumny destroy the reputation and honor of one's neighbor. Honor is the social witness given to human dignity, and everyone enjoys a natural right to the honor of his name and reputation and to respect. Thus, detraction and calumny offend against the virtues of justice and charity.

<a name="AGAINST">

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='DevotedtoHim' date='19 March 2010 - 02:19 AM' timestamp='1268983160' post='2075576']
Yes, Sister, I thought the garter thing was also sort of strange and disrespectful. Like someone else said I thought stuff that the foundresses had are relics. But I also thought the photos of the dead nun that they had on their blog was really gross!!!!
Katherine
[/quote]

Katherine how old are you? You sound like you're 14: "A dead nun! How gross!"

I guess those pictures of Therese of Lisiuex, and Bernadette Soubirous and Mother Teresa, and Sister Lucia really "gross you out," too?

"That's different. They were SAINTS."

Well...they weren't saints when the photos of their corpses were taken and sold for profit.

Monasteries have friends and supporters who may know their members. Since not all can travel everywhere, all the time, it is not unusual at all for deceased nuns to be laid out in choir and photographed thusly. Then supporters can "pay their respects," as it was, via the photograph. These sisters did nothing unusual, it was the equivalent of sending out the death notice-with-photo.

Really, you guys. Do you realize how you sound like gossiping biddies at the hair dressers?

"Did anyone else think: psst psst psst?"

"Wasn't anyone else bothered by psst psst psst?"

I imagine the serpent in the garden sounded like that: pssst, pssst, psssst.

"Oh, yes, That was SO disrespectful, psst, psst, psssst!"

Was it?

How about: NO ONE WEARS GARTERS LIKE THAT ANYMORE; THEY ARE A REAL HISTORICAL CURIOSITY. SISTER, HOLD THEM UP SO I CAN TAKE A CLEAR PICTURE OF THEM. Oh. Look. THEY'RE LONG. SO YOU'LL HAVE TO HOLD THEM HIGH UP.

As I said earlier. You can choose to interpret things in a charitable way (and in this particular instant the common sensical way) or a judgmental way. It seems to me this thread is choosing the judgmental way. The sisters of this community seem to me to be enthusiastic, loving and respectful of their history and all who came before them. But I suspect some like the spiteful little thrill of being able to cry "scandal! scandal!"

You say more about yourselves with this thread than you do about these sisters. And frankly you GIVE SCANDAL by your nasty little "oh so charitable" whispers.

It is true that the Monialesop site has a comments section, just like the Passionist Nuns blog, which didn't manage to scandalize you when it showed nuns in silly Christmas hats, or postulants and novices playing croquet and acting like they were attacking each other with mallets. But with the Summit nuns there seems to be a particular animus. No matter what they do, some here sniff, "real nuns, respectable nuns, nuns like "I" would be would never do that." And "they're not SERIOUS enough for me!"

I wonder what you will think of the post they have put up there, today? Doubtless it won't be "serious enough" for some. It will be too joyful, and it will lack the breast-beating, floor-kissing, climbing-stairs-on-knees example of "holiness," for some.

St. Teresa of Avila, who asked God to save her from "pious saints" and would urge her nuns to dance with castanets, pray for us and teach us about holiness that is free of romantic trappings.

I agree with Saint Therese, that this is a low point on this forum. As to the notice that "they have comments section" on the site -well, I really hope this uncharitable lot can refrain themselves from bringing their gossipy criticism to the moniales site, so they can expose themselves to a broader readership and further scandalize us.

"See how these Christians love one another."

I think I will send a small donation to the Summit Dominicans, in reparation for the slander, gossip and meanness they have endured, here. And I will know better than to post anything about them in the future, in these threads.

I am ashamed of this thread. I hope the moderator will close it before it degenerates further

Edited by DameAgnes

Lilllabettt

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='19 March 2010 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1269012126' post='2075674']
I hope the moderator will close it before it degenerates further
[/quote]

me too

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='19 March 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1269006627' post='2075632']
This thread may be the low point of this phorum.

From the Catechism:

2478 T[b]o avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor's thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way:
Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another's statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love.[/b] If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved.[279]

2479 Detraction and calumny destroy the reputation and honor of one's neighbor. Honor is the social witness given to human dignity, and everyone enjoys a natural right to the honor of his name and reputation and to respect. Thus, detraction and calumny offend against the virtues of justice and charity.

<a name="AGAINST">
[/quote]

I have not posted on this thread for a number of reasons...but now it dawns on me that we could go round and round about this for a very long time. Those in agreement with each other judging that the "other side" is judging. In my opinion (and who doesn't have one?) those who don't like the particular blog being discussed were not judging nor detracting persons...but rather were stating their opinions about a particular action that they found distasteful. Perhaps it got too close to judging "persons" because we all knew the "persons taking the actions". When anyone posts personal things on the Iternet, they ought to be aware that they open themselves for public scrutiny. A good piece of advise, I think, is "if you don't want it judged/seen/talked about" don't put it out there, if you choose to put it out there just know that you will get comments...negative and positive.

Perhaps all posters deserve the same kind of "judgment" spoken of here in the Catechism. In other words...isn't it also wrong to judge harshly the thoughts/actions/intentions of those whom you perceive to be judging harshly in the first place? As I say we could go round and round.

As for this being the low point of this phorum, I personally wouldn't go that far. I have seen worse. In fact (somewhere around a year ago or so) there were posts in which a good and faithful community was reported to be something other than that. The fact that the information was given by a religious woman meant that no amount of defense of this community would suffice - despite the fact that the original information was at best "old" and at worst, untrue.

Wise counsel might say let's not take ourselves "over-seriously" recognize that we are sharing opinions and so anyone with an interest in a community ought not to judge it by what they read here (or anywhere really) but rather, should "go and see" for themselves.

We are, all of us in these corrupt bodies, merely tangled, knarled branches on The One Vine, Jesus....we get caught up and entangled with each other all the time...let's not berate each other for being who we are...but as the catechism and Scriptures say, correct one another with love.

Just my .02

I, too no longer post on this site. I am horrified by responses. I only come on from time to time to check out any new orders or people entering. This is supposed to be a site that inspires us to holiness, but sadly it is down right nasty most times. Summit is a beautiful order who has been around for years. They dont have a revolving door of postulants like some orders. Thank you for the sanity of the last few people who responded. It is truly sad that people with maturity and openness are in the minority here. Mods close this topic, and leave good communities out of your bickering, small minded lives.

brightsadness

[b]Prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian[/b]
O Lord and Master of my life, cast away from me the spirit of laziness, idle curiosity, love of power and vain talk.

But grant me, Your servant, the spirit of moderation, humility, patience and love.

Yes, Lord and King, grant me to see my own faults and not to judge my brothers and sisters.

For You are blessed forever. Amen.

cmotherofpirl

Ok, here is the bottom line.

If you have an opinion that is in any way lacking in charity, don't post it here. This board is to foster vocations, not criticize the men and women who give their lives to Christ Jesus. You are not walking in their shoes.
If you are just bursting to discuss something that is not in perfect charity, discuss it with a member of the order in question, do it privately among yourselves, contact the local bishop but again, NOT HERE.

In necessariis, unitas; in dubiis, libertas; in omnibus, caritas

dominicansoul

i happen to know this community very well, and they are solid, orthodox, Brides of Jesus Christ in every way, shape and form...

i find it absolutely ridiculous, that people will criticize them over pictures they see on their blog! I also find it very sad that traddies can be hyper-critical over the way certain religious behave, or wear their habits, or treat their relics....I even know some traddies who are hyper critical just because a person doesn't seem to be holding their heads up a certain height or angle, or walk a certain way, or use the proper posture in Church!

...all of that sounds very much the same type of criticism the saducees and pharisees had over the behavior of Jesus and His Apostles!

I say, to all my Dominican Nuns in Summit...thanks for being HUMAN! I couldn't imagine if you all were ultra-traditional! You all would be suffocating robots! Keep up the beauty and the Love and the splendor of religious life! You are living as Jesus lived, and being criticized just as He was....you are doing everything well!

Very glad to see the moderators weigh in on this issue which indeed seems to reflect the wider Church as a whole. It makes me very happy to see that unlike prior threads which had differing "opinions" this one was not shut down; communication is good. I am very happy to know that ALL communities (no matter their appearance) will be treated with respect and charity, which is so often not the case. As one leaving one place to go to another, I am dealing with all kinds of issues and I appreciate support on all levels.

This has been a good reminder of how we behave, what we do, what we "put out there" - especially if we chose to be a public witness - reflects on the whole and leads others to think more deeply. A very deepening experience on all levels.

Also glad to see St. Augustine's quote. In Latin.