An Old School Catholic Message Board

Domincan Nuns' Habit

Luigi

None of you really know what you are talking about. These nuns make a mockery out of holiness and truth and they went the wrong way after VAT II everybody knows that. Also, you CAN'T leave a message on their stupid website because they will delete anything that doesn't say how great they are.

Also, for those of you who think that ALL nuns are great, you are wrong. THE ONES IN THE HABITS that are FULL AND COVER UP are the real ones. I'm sick and tired of the fake ones.

thank God I wasn't alone in my thoughts.

respect. respect. respect (just like what Aretha Franklin sang.)

Like what the MonialesOP posted in their blog,

"They shall judge no one. If they see anyone doing something, even though it appear evil, they shall suppose that it is good or done with a good intention, for human judgment is often deceived."

-Primitive Constitutions of the Order of Friars Preachers, XII

Edited by tnavarro61

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='20 March 2010 - 05:41 AM' timestamp='1269031292' post='2075892']
I say, to all my Dominican Nuns in Summit...thanks for being HUMAN! I couldn't imagine if you all were ultra-traditional! You all would be suffocating robots! Keep up the beauty and the Love and the splendor of religious life! You are living as Jesus lived, and being criticized just as He was....you are doing everything well!
[/quote]

you're the best dominicansoul!

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='20 March 2010 - 05:41 AM' timestamp='1269031292' post='2075892']
I say, to all my Dominican Nuns in Summit...thanks for being HUMAN! I couldn't imagine if you all were ultra-traditional! You all would be suffocating robots! Keep up the beauty and the Love and the splendor of religious life! You are living as Jesus lived, and being criticized just as He was....you are doing everything well!
[/quote]

you're the best dominicansoul!

• 3 weeks later...
homeschoolmom

[quote name='Beatus' date='19 March 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1269035482' post='2075938']
None of you really know what you are talking about. These nuns make a mockery out of holiness and truth and they went the wrong way after VAT II everybody knows that. Also, you CAN'T leave a message on their stupid website because they will delete anything that doesn't say how great they are.

Also, for those of you who think that ALL nuns are great, you are wrong. THE ONES IN THE HABITS that are FULL AND COVER UP are the real ones. I'm sick and tired of the fake ones.
[/quote]

[quote name='Beatus' date='19 March 2010 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1269035522' post='2075940']
Also if you quote a MAN SAINT you should give him CREDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

This poster is troubled. The best course of action-- the one that the other moderators, the webmaster and the poster's mother have agreed upon is to IGNORE his posts. Just carry on. If you feel moved to do so, pray for Beatus' family. If you see him post in the future, please report it. Thanks.

sistersintigo

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='08 April 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1270750648' post='2089334']
This poster is troubled. The best course of action-- the one that the other moderators, the webmaster and the poster's mother have agreed upon is to IGNORE his posts. Just carry on. If you feel moved to do so, pray for Beatus' family. If you see him post in the future, please report it. Thanks.
[/quote]
Maybe the bunchies would be useful....

IgnatiusofLoyola

It's funny, this afternoon I spotted the thread about Dominican habits, so I clicked on the link. I found myself fascinated by the Web site and by all the pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed them, and wasn't "scandalized" in the least. In fact, I came away with a very positive feeling about the nuns of Summit NJ, and was thinking I would buy some of their soaps from their Web site.

I liked the openness. As someone who knows virtually NOTHING about nuns, I was grateful for the details of their daily life. To me, the pictures of the nuns made them seem HUMAN. For some, this might have seemed a disrespectful image, but for me, it was exactly the image that I needed to see. These nuns are real people, living a holy life, and they seemed HAPPY!

As a non-Catholic, the images of nuns I was given as a child, were of stern, dour, women with rulers. I couldn't imagine how a "normal" person could ever choose to be a nun.

But, the Summit nuns seem both holy AND normal. They seem to like being nuns and like each other, and the life suits them.

I can understand the negative reactions to the pictures of the relics. I was interested, not scandalized. But, I was also pleased to see that the young sisters in formation were allowed to have human reactions and emotions. The convent was helping them become closer to Christ, but wasn't trying to "wipe out" their personality in the process.

As for the picture of the nun who had died, I liked that they showed that, too. I thought the picture was respectful--it was taken from a distance and didn't show her face. The picture illustrated that, for these nuns, death is a natural part of life. This nun had apparently been living in a nursing home, but after her death, she was brought back to the place where she had likely lived most of her life and will be laid to rest in the garden where she walked every day. If I remember correctly, the site said that the nuns took turns keeping vigil with her all day. She remained part of the community, even in death.

I was trying to study the dates on the site, but it seemed possible that the nun who had died was lying in the chapel at the same time that the young novice was taking her simple vows. To me, the idea of a new life in Christ alongside another Sister who had passed to the next life was a fascinating juxtaposition.

One last thought--The novice mistress looked very young to me, and I was impressed. There are obviously much older Sisters than she in the community, but the Prioress apparently chose the one she felt was best qualified, not simply on the basis of seniority. The novice mistress must be very gifted if she was given such responsibility at such a young age. (To me, she didn't look more than 25, but she is likely older than that--but in her early thirties at the oldest.)

After looking at all the pictures, and wishing there were more, I came back to this thread to find that some posters had had negative reactions to the same pictures that had charmed me so much. And, the negative reactions were thoughtful ones--I could understand why some might have reacted differently to the pictures than I did.

This post has no point except to illustrate how all of us are very different. The Summit NJ Dominicans are doing their best, and for some people their Web site works, and for others it doesn't. I guess that is one reason why there are so many different communities of religious women. Women who are called to the religious life all have very different gifts, and have different needs in terms of the best community for them to join to best serve the Lord. But, after looking at the Dominican nuns' Web site, I came away feeling like I "knew" these women, and none of them fit my old sterotype of a dour, cranky Sister with a ruler, so for me, the Web site "worked" and this non-Catholic was not only not "scandalized" but came away with a very positive feeling about the these nuns.

BTW--I thought the "Mafia bunny" was funny.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 April 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1270762828' post='2089518']
It's funny, this afternoon I spotted the thread about Dominican habits, so I clicked on the link. I found myself fascinated by the Web site and by all the pictures. I thoroughly enjoyed them, and wasn't "scandalized" in the least. In fact, I came away with a very positive feeling about the nuns of Summit NJ, and was thinking I would buy some of their soaps from their Web site.

I liked the openness. As someone who knows virtually NOTHING about nuns, I was grateful for the details of their daily life. To me, the pictures of the nuns made them seem HUMAN. For some, this might have seemed a disrespectful image, but for me, it was exactly the image that I needed to see. These nuns are real people, living a holy life, and they seemed HAPPY!

As a non-Catholic, the images of nuns I was given as a child, were of stern, dour, women with rulers. I couldn't imagine how a "normal" person could ever choose to be a nun.

But, the Summit nuns seem both holy AND normal. They seem to like being nuns and like each other, and the life suits them.

I can understand the negative reactions to the pictures of the relics. I was interested, not scandalized. But, I was also pleased to see that the young sisters in formation were allowed to have human reactions and emotions. The convent was helping them become closer to Christ, but wasn't trying to "wipe out" their personality in the process.

As for the picture of the nun who had died, I liked that they showed that, too. I thought the picture was respectful--it was taken from a distance and didn't show her face. The picture illustrated that, for these nuns, death is a natural part of life. This nun had apparently been living in a nursing home, but after her death, she was brought back to the place where she had likely lived most of her life and will be laid to rest in the garden where she walked every day. If I remember correctly, the site said that the nuns took turns keeping vigil with her all day. She remained part of the community, even in death.

I was trying to study the dates on the site, but it seemed possible that the nun who had died was lying in the chapel at the same time that the young novice was taking her simple vows. To me, the idea of a new life in Christ alongside another Sister who had passed to the next life was a fascinating juxtaposition.

One last thought--The novice mistress looked very young to me, and I was impressed. There are obviously much older Sisters than she in the community, but the Prioress apparently chose the one she felt was best qualified, not simply on the basis of seniority. The novice mistress must be very gifted if she was given such responsibility at such a young age. (To me, she didn't look more than 25, but she is likely older than that--but in her early thirties at the oldest.)

After looking at all the pictures, and wishing there were more, I came back to this thread to find that some posters had had negative reactions to the same pictures that had charmed me so much. And, the negative reactions were thoughtful ones--I could understand why some might have reacted differently to the pictures than I did.

This post has no point except to illustrate how all of us are very different. The Summit NJ Dominicans are doing their best, and for some people their Web site works, and for others it doesn't. I guess that is one reason why there are so many different communities of religious women. Women who are called to the religious life all have very different gifts, and have different needs in terms of the best community for them to join to best serve the Lord. But, after looking at the Dominican nuns' Web site, I came away feeling like I "knew" these women, and none of them fit my old sterotype of a dour, cranky Sister with a ruler, so for me, the Web site "worked" and this non-Catholic was not only not "scandalized" but came away with a very positive feeling about the these nuns.

BTW--I thought the "Mafia bunny" was funny.
[/quote]

JMJ
Amen. That was like a breath of fresh air. It really was getting to the point of crazy...as in no one can state their opinions without someone screaming "don't sit in judgement!!!!" There are really two sides to each coin, and sad as it is, you have to look at both :-)
How is the Queen doing? The royal bunchie appears ro be doing well.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='08 April 2010 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1270767635' post='2089567']
there's an echo in here
[/quote]

LOL Well, I guess, if it's worth saying once, it's worth saying twice.

I was just glad to see that I'm not the only one who sometimes has trouble using the site. I've double-posted, and I've lost posts. Oh well.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 April 2010 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1270768394' post='2089573']
LOL Well, I guess, if it's worth saying once, it's worth saying twice.

I was just glad to see that I'm not the only one who sometimes has trouble using the site. I've double-posted, and I've lost posts. Oh well.
[/quote]

I think those lost posts are wherever my missing socks are. :guitar:

:sadwalk:

I recently lost one of my favorite neon green socks.

:weep: