An Old School Catholic Message Board

Photo Of Nuns Used In Article Against The Bishops

Sister Rose Therese

brandelynmarie

[quote name='osapientia' date='21 March 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1269178524' post='2076821']
I believe that using the photo of the Benedictines was unjust and downright awful. I further stand with the Bishops on the healthcare bill and do not condone the signing of that letter urging Congress to pass the Senate bill.

But in fairness, I also believe that we should note that the Sisters of Social Service were founded without a traditional habit. They simply adopted the clothing worn by "women of the day" and were approved by the Church to do so.

The following excerpt is not from the sisters' web site (which some might consider to have a biased interpretation of their history) but rather from an encyclopedic article about their congregation.

[b] ...established in 1923 under the name of the Sisters of Social Service.
...the Sisters saw their commitment as being out on the street, involved in the daily struggles of the poor, and they structured their way of life to serve this ministry. To this end, in place of the traditional religious habit of floor-length robes and veils, they adopted simple gray suits as worn by other women of the day.[/b]

I know that many communities refuse to wear a habit and have an interpretation of obedience that just doesn't make sense to me...but I don't think that applies here concerning the clothing of The Sisters of Social Service.

Only days ago we had a thread deleted that was considered to be unjust and unkind because posters were seen to be making judgments about a particular community. Opinions and admonishments went back and forth and finally we were asked by the moderators to refrain from comments that made judgments about religious and their communities.

Although this post does not specifically say anything derogatory about the sisters clothing and it may not be the intention of the poster to defame them for their dress, I do believe that in the large majority of cases, when an "un-habited" community (esp of women) is mentioned in VS, that community is automatically seen in a bad light. I thought it would be good to know the history of these sisters regarding their clothing. In my opinion it would be nice to see them all in the same clothing - if only for the purpose of a unified witness - but clothing worn by "women of the day" is what they wear and while it may be a broad interpretation of that phrase it was how they were founded and approved.

Please let me be clear...I do not agree with their stand on the healthcare bill and I believe the right thing for them to do is come back in line with Church teaching on this issue.

Pax,
Osap
[/quote]

I'm confused... :blink: I wasn't looking to defame anyone, I made the second comment to only state that I knew the SSS wore secular clothing & that Andy apparently did not know that... :idontknow: