Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

University Student Protests "our Lord" On Diplomas


Recommended Posts

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Slappo' date='31 March 2010 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1270066695' post='2084232']


Define some exceptions. That is extremely broad. Maybe the employer at the hair salon would have allowed religious jewelry or even a 10 minute break at 3pm for prayer time, but could not justify letting a hairdresser cover her hair the entire time she worked. My job has not prevented me from wearing any religious articles or putting up a couple religious pictures in my cubicle, but[b] I'm sure that if I brought in a 5ft crucifix and tried to put it in the corner of my cubicle that I'd be asked to remove it.[/b]
[/quote]
Stop giving me ideas. :annoyed: I'm going to have a hard enough time in the business world as it is.

Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='31 March 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1270065733' post='2084214']
Where's homeschoolmom!? I can't stop going off-topic. [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/banana_rawk.gif[/IMG]
[/quote]
Didn't this thread go off topic a long time ago. It is supposed to be on whether removing the words "Our Lord" from a diploma is necessary for multi-cultural reasons. :D

dominicansoul
Posted

the bottom line is this university has a Christian foundation, and so, those words should never come off the diploma, regardless of what religion the student is...

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='29 March 2010 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1269911280' post='2083011']"A diploma is a very personal item, and people want to proudly display it in their offices and homes,” Sidra Qureshi, president of Trinity Diversity Connection, told the Chronicle. “By having the phrase ‘In the Year of Our Lord,' it is directly referencing Jesus Christ, and not everyone believes in Jesus Christ."[/quote]
I believe in Christ, but I don't believe in a diploma. Is there any way that I can keep Our Lord's name but get rid of the diploma?

Edited by Era Might
Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Slappo' date='31 March 2010 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1270066889' post='2084236']
unfortunately the veils of nuns nor muslims are not limited to covering one's hair. Many veils include covering a large portion of one's cheeks which includes covering their ears. I have been asked to move my hair aside (as a guy with shaggy hair) so that my ears are showing in passport pictures...

Sure someone could just make sure that his ears were covered when trying to look like me... but the point is a veil or head covering can remove a significant number of things that can be used to help identify someone.
[/quote]
You're correct here, I suppose, in that the regulations extend past veils (I, too, had to tuck my hair behind my ears for my passport photo (which I think is ridiculous, because that's clearly not how I actually look)). I still think that this is an unnecessary measure. I mean, really, not wearing a burqa, yes, that is logical. But a veil, or hair covering the ears!?
Please.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='31 March 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1270064176' post='2084190']
For your safety and security - a woman could steal your license and put on a veil to match the photo
As well as for your identification - for the safety of the police officer, should you get pulled over

you had to take off the veil.

The same applies to a passport. Safety and security comes first.
[/quote]

Anyone could steal anyone's license, die their hair, get glasses and/or color contacts, etc.

We didn't have to take off our veil, even the ACLU wanted to fight for us. But it didn't need to get that far, since the Dept. of Transportation revised their "new rule" to allow for nuns and muslims to wear their head coverings, provided their eyes, nose, and mouth are showing.

We also didn't have to take it off for our passport photos, either. But I know other religious communities who were asked to simply show their ear - not take their veil off, just pull it back for a second to show their ear. That seems reasonable to me. But for us, we didn't even have to do THAT for our passport photos.

It would have been unsafe for us to have had our pictures taken WITHOUT the veil. It would be a lot harder to recognize the Sisters without one.

Edited by CherieMadame

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...