An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Least Inspiring Vocation Quote Ever

vee

I was reading a bulletin online for my hometown parish and they had this little quote that I guess is supposed to help inspire vocations. It didnt inspire me though it just made me laugh.
[quote]
When Jesus comes into your life grab something and wave it. Show your joy, your happiness; your dream is fulfilled. Tell others: Jesus is here! [/quote]

Grab something and wave it :blink:

Anyone else come across a vocation quote that wasnt exactly inspirational?

AccountDeleted

Wow - that is a rather strange way to inspire, isn't it? Take something and wave it? Ok.

I will have to start looking now because I never thought about trying to remember something that was uninspiring! Interesting idea.

[quote name='vee8' date='01 April 2010 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1270173502' post='2085282']
I was reading a bulletin online for my hometown parish and they had this little quote that I guess is supposed to help inspire vocations. It didnt inspire me though it just made me laugh.

Grab something and wave it :blink:

Anyone else come across a vocation quote that wasnt exactly inspirational?
[/quote]
Perhaps this was supposed to relate to Palm Sunday....and the waving of palm branches. Jesus came into Jerusalem to a throng waving branches..perhaps the person was just trying to say don't let Jesus go unrecognized when He comes into your life.

I think it's rather inspiring in some ways, perhaps a "don't hide the light under a bushel" kind of way or don't be ashamed of Jesus kind of way...you know...wave something saying Jesus is HERE.

One MIGHT relate it to religious life/vocation in the sense of "sign"....many people might consider the wearing of a habit to be a kind of "flag raising/waving" thing....something that "gives witness".

I believe it was St. Teresa of Avila who likened nuns in cloisters to ensigns in armies on the battlefield whose job it was to literally wave the flag (insignia) "marking" the place where the battle raged on so that his soldiers could know where to go.

Pax,
osap

Edited by osapientia

The only reason it caught my attention was that it reminded me of St Mary Magdalene de Pazzi. :mellow:

[quote]Perhaps this was supposed to relate to Palm Sunday....and the waving of palm branches. Jesus came into Jerusalem to a throng waving branches..perhaps the person was just trying to say don't let Jesus go unrecognized when He comes into your life.[/quote]

Good point. You would make a fine vocation quote writer :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='01 April 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1270177610' post='2085321']
The only reason it caught my attention was that it reminded me of St Mary Magdalene de Pazzi. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif[/img]

[/quote]

Wasn't she the one who kept having ecstacies during the night and ringing the main bell so that all her Sisters could share in them? I'd have to ask for a soundproof cell and permission to wear earplugs or they'd have to cart me away. Lack of enough sleep to meet your body's needs can have very bad effects on your emotional and physical health. (Obviously, the amount of sleep needed varies by person.)

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='02 April 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1270179692' post='2085332']
Wasn't she the one who kept having ecstacies during the night and ringing the main bell so that all her Sisters could share in them? I'd have to ask for a soundproof cell and permission to wear earplugs or they'd have to cart me away. Lack of enough sleep to meet your body's needs can have very bad effects on your emotional and physical health. (Obviously, the amount of sleep needed varies by person.)
[/quote]

Yes thats her. You might want to add a no bell ringing policy to your fictitious order :lol: If someone has joy about Jesus they must express it between 9am 9pm all other hours joy must be expressed by a more quiet means such as flag waving.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='02 April 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1270223632' post='2085555']
Yes thats her. You might want to add a no bell ringing policy to your fictitious order :lol: If someone has joy about Jesus they must express it between 9am 9pm all other hours joy must be expressed by a more quiet means such as flag waving.
[/quote]

:rolling:

Sometimes I had found myself overwhelmed by joy -- usually associated to something I had just read or learned about that struck me as profound -- and to "subdue" that joy and not verbalize it, I would use sign language. "Applause" was my first go-to sign.. after taking ASL in university I had kind of accustomed myself to signing my emotions (while verbalizing them). :lol:

I guess I like to "wave" my hands.

:paperbag: :hehehe:

Or it could be inspired by the conversion of Constantine who then in turn had his entire army of soldiers "wave the sign" - mass conversion (!!!) and no doubt many vocations came forth!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='SNJM' date='02 April 2010 - 11:31 AM' timestamp='1270225916' post='2085568']
Or it could be inspired by the conversion of Constantine who then in turn had his entire army of soldiers "wave the sign" - mass conversion (!!!) and no doubt many vocations came forth!

[/quote]

Sorry, "Grab something and wave it" sounds like what my 4-year old nephew did when I bought him his first pair of "big boy" underpants and he discovered they have an opening in the front. He's a wonderful 17-year old now, and I fully plan to tell that story to his fiancee when he eventually gets married. (That came out funny--he doesn't have a fiancee now, but we hope that some day he will when he's older.)

How about--- "Get up at 5:00 am for the rest of your life and give up boys. Sound fun? Become a nun!"
Now THAT slogan will appeal to an ordinary 17-year old girl. Not!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='02 April 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1270225088' post='2085560']

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/paperbag.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hehehe.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I see Salty is wearing her new habit. Just having Salty take off her bag might test whether an aspirant was REALLY serious about an Order or not. Having to call Salty "Sister" would be an excellent test of obedience and charity.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='brandelynmarie' date='02 April 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1270252115' post='2085760']
I think I would grab a Bunchie & wave it... :lol_roll:
[/quote]

[quote name='brandelynmarie' date='03 April 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1270252115' post='2085760']
I think I would grab a Bunchie & wave it... :lol_roll:
[/quote]

:lol_pound:
Well the quote did say to grab [i]something [/i]... they just didnt realize when you leave it open to interpretation you get bunchies being flung around :lol:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 April 2010 - 02:18 AM' timestamp='1270225088' post='2085560']

Sometimes I had found myself overwhelmed by joy -- usually associated to something I had just read or learned about that struck me as profound -- and to "subdue" that joy and not verbalize it, I would use sign language. "Applause" was my first go-to sign.. after taking ASL in university I had kind of accustomed myself to signing my emotions (while verbalizing them). :lol:

:paperbag: :hehehe:
[/quote]

You sound Italian. :topsy: Actually I dont think Im any part Italian but when I went to Italy I was so happy Id finally found a country full of people who act just like me!