An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Important Is Theology?

Justified Saint

Does theology matter among different Christians?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You've gotta know who you're worshipping, so the study of God is of course vital to an active Christian faith.

I think you may want to clarify your question. What do you mean by "Does it matter"? Yes, it is important. Yes, errors should be corrected, and there can be only one correct answer. Does it matter to the extent that it changes the state of salvation? Well, it depends on what is being disagreed on, but I would say, under most inter-denominational disagreements, no.

Mary's Knight, La

i chose the top one because theology is by definition the study of God and/or knowledge of God therefore since there is One God there is similarly only one set of correct knowledge and in that light increasing theology and living that theology is the main goal of a christian (e.g. to know and love God)

I agree with the 2nd one, but theology alone doesn't make a Christian - like I believed Jesus of Nazareth was the Savior (the Christ) long before I understood the Immaculate Conception, Blessed Sacrament, etc...

Also, theology is meant to define the Truth, or just discuss it?

This sort of stems from my first answer, but doesn't the Truth stand totally alone, like it wouldn't matter if a Christian was ignorant about something? - like for example wasn't the Church made up of total Christians long before specific Dogmas were realized and defined - can't the same can be applied to a child?

I chose the first one b/c only one theology can be [i]fully[/i] correct. Other Christian denominations contain some Truth, but not the fullness of the Truth that is contained in Catholicism alone. Other non-Christian religions, for the most part, contain varying degrees of truth.

Among some Protestant denominations, I've noticed a trend in which some Protestants, typically Evangelicals, will say that it doesn't matter which denomination you belong to so long as you love, worship, and follow Jesus. This, of course, is not the Catholic view, since we Catholics believe that God is Truth, so to be in the fullness of the Truth is to have the potential to know and love God more fully. Not only that, but division among Christians is unbiblical -- and historically, Catholicism is the true Church that the gates of Hell cannot prevail against, that is, the one Church that has remained unchanged and undivided for 2,000 years.

A nondenominational Christian friend of mine argues that since Jesus healed with mud sometimes and at other times used nothing, it therefore doesn't matter what someone uses (or which denomination one belongs to) so long as they love and follow Jesus. What would you say to refute this?

God bless,

Jen

Theologian in Training

I think your question may be a bit limiting. Theology is important, provided that Theology is ordered towards its right end. In other words, that it truly becomes a Theos Logos, study of the Word of God. The Word of God, in this sense, not stricly limited to the Bible alone.

Granted, the vast majority don't even know what theology is, but for those that do, they can definitely help in what seems to be a very great need for catechetics among all. Theology must always remember that it seeks to understand and speak about God, and that, try as one might, it can never become prayer, in the strictest sense of to word, since prayer is more than just trying to understand God.

Just my .02

God Bless Alelluia!!!

dairygirl4u2c

This doesn't give a good answer for me to click so:

Yes, there is only one theology that is correct
I would agree.

Yes, theology defines the Christian faith and its followers
I would agree.

Yes, but not at the expense of Christian unity
I disagree. Should be, "yes, and.." Theology should create christian unity. I suppose someone somewhere is going to be dividers no matter how you look at it. The Catholic Church teaches prots are the dividers, but I believe the Catholic Church is one of the biggest. "Decieveth thyself not, for in excommunicating them, thou hast excommunicated thyself from all."

Theology should focus only on what unites not what divides
No. It should *stress* what it unites, but it should also relay what it divides.

Fellowship, not theology, defines who we are as Christians
Fellowship is my theology.

Justified Saint

Interesting responses.

I had trouble phrasing the questions so I expected some confusion. I think most of you understood what I was trying to ask though.

I did phrase the question as theology among different Christians. Basically, what kind of ramifications and complications are created by the nature of having differing theologies among Christians? How important are these differences?

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='Apr 13 2004, 02:47 PM'] This doesn't give a good answer for me to click so:

Yes, there is only one theology that is correct
I would agree.

Yes, theology defines the Christian faith and its followers
I would agree.

Yes, but not at the expense of Christian unity
I disagree. Should be, "yes, and.." Theology should create christian unity. I suppose someone somewhere is going to be dividers no matter how you look at it. The Catholic Church teaches prots are the dividers, but I believe the Catholic Church is one of the biggest. "Decieveth thyself not, for in excommunicating them, thou hast excommunicated thyself from all."

Theology should focus only on what unites not what divides
No. It should *stress* what it unites, but it should also relay what it divides.

Fellowship, not theology, defines who we are as Christians
Fellowship is my theology. [/quote]
Excommunication does NOT divide.

Those who are excommunicated, choose to do what they do. They are NOT kicked out of the Church, the excommunicated are still required to go to Mass.

What defines who we are as Christians is following Christ's Way.

What I think the major issue that you fail to realize is that God is real. Things that are real have real answers; not philosophical ones.

Where has your theology been for the last 2000 years? Is it Christ's Way or is it your way?

Please stop assuming and start studying. Before you comment on something like excommunication, why not look it up from a Catholic source? - That would be the smart thing to do.

[url="http://www.NewAdvent.org"]http://www.NewAdvent.org[/url]
[url="http://www.Catholic-Pages.com"]http://www.Catholic-Pages.com[/url]
[url="http://www.Catholic.com"]http://www.Catholic.com[/url]

-ironmonk

[quote]Those who are excommunicated, choose to do what they do. They are NOT kicked out of the Church, the excommunicated are still required to go to Mass.[/quote]

Very good point, and often misunderstood.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='M.SIGGA' date='Apr 12 2004, 10:51 PM'] I agree with the 2nd one, but theology alone doesn't make a Christian - like I believed Jesus of Nazareth was the Savior (the Christ) long before I understood the Immaculate Conception, Blessed Sacrament, etc...

Also, theology is meant to define the Truth, or just discuss it?

This sort of stems from my first answer, but doesn't the Truth stand totally alone, like it wouldn't matter if a Christian was ignorant about something? - like for example wasn't the Church made up of total Christians long before specific Dogmas were realized and defined - can't the same can be applied to a child? [/quote]
I agree with you M.SIGGA. :)

Jesus even said that there'd be division among some who couldn't accept some of His teachings. The Bible condemns division (Phil. 2:2), but the Protestants broke away from us on their own accord and were wrong for doing so. I mean, I don't mean that offensively to Protestants, but that's the deal. The Church, as the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Tim. 3:15), must speak the Truth even if some don't like it. The Truth is more important than trying to please others. I don't believe it's ever necessary to compromise the Truth for the sake of "unity." After all, unity not based in the Truth isn't true unity at all.