An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Important Is Theology?

Justified Saint

Does theology matter among different Christians?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Note: Phil. 2:2 says belief must be the same, rather, when it comes to Christianity.

Edited by BeenaBobba

• 4 years later...

I think the first 2 are correct: There is only one Truth and that Truth defines all Christians, whether or not they choose to believe it or not.

JesusIsMySuperHero

Jesus said it wasn't our theology that will let people see we follow him, but our love for one another.

More importantly, the fulfillment of the law and the prophets isn't lecturing one to another, but our love for one another that fulfills.

People see God differently, and as long as they accept God's sacrifice of sending his son for our sins, we are saved!

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1533369' date='May 19 2008, 10:12 AM']Jesus said it wasn't our theology that will let people see we follow him, but our love for one another.

More importantly, the fulfillment of the law and the prophets isn't lecturing one to another, but our love for one another that fulfills.

People see God differently, and as long as they accept God's sacrifice of sending his son for our sins, we are saved![/quote]

Jesus used the word theology?

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1533374' date='May 19 2008, 09:28 AM']Jesus used the word theology?[/quote]

Jamie, try to think about the scriptures I am referring too.

And the fact Jesus never said you have to understand everything is case in point that you don't need correct theology!

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1533375' date='May 19 2008, 11:31 AM']Jamie, try to think about the scriptures I am referring too.

And the fact Jesus never said you have to understand everything is case in point that you don't need correct theology![/quote]

I don't think Jesus would say "theology." If anything, he'd say "Me-ology"

When you go out on a date, you learn as much as you can about the person you are dating. When you start making friends, you try to learn as much as you can about them. Learning about each other is what helps relationships grow.

The same is for God. By learning as much as we can about God, our relationship grows. Of course you can always love God but that love can deepen through the study of Theology.

One thing I want to add which is kinda off topic: one thing I love about icons is the symbolisim behind the objects in the picture. I learned that there is a half circle sometimes seen at the top of icons. This denotes God and how much we know of Him. We can also learn and grow in our knowledge of God yet we we never completely know all of Him. Thus the half circle...we will never be able to complete that circle. I thought that the symbolism is beautiful.

CatherineM

JIMSH-Do you really think that Jesus doesn't care if our theology is correct? I'm sure he understands those who have not be exposed to the word, but for those who have heard the truth, but choose to twist it, I think he'd want to overturn their tables.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1533451' date='May 19 2008, 10:42 AM']JIMSH-Do you really think that Jesus doesn't care if our theology is correct? I'm sure he understands those who have not be exposed to the word, but for those who have heard the truth, but choose to twist it, I think he'd want to overturn their tables.[/quote]

It depends on what you mean Catherine.

There are plenty of people here who use a day could be a thousand years scripture to mean God could have taken billions of years to create life, who trust Jesus with all their hearts, and believe in his salvation who will rejoice in glory. I would say they are twisting scripture and they're not right in their assumptions and they are leaning on their understanding of things, instead of leaning only on the word of God and what it says, and leaning on the holy spirit!

So, I don't think theology has to be 100 per cent correct for us to live in unity with each other, and love each other, and make it to heaven!

BTW, lets not turn this into the boondoggle debate over evolution!

CatherineM

I didn't say anything about evolution. I'm just concerned for you the same way that I would be if you were one of my sons.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1534177' date='May 19 2008, 09:11 PM']I didn't say anything about evolution. I'm just concerned for you the same way that I would be if you were one of my sons.[/quote]

Catherine, I'm just giving an example of how theologies can be different, but really don't mean much when it comes to be filled with the holy spirit and going to heaven.