An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Time To Lower The Drinking Age?

Lil Red

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='havok579257' date='21 April 2010 - 01:56 AM' timestamp='1271829368' post='2097229']
yes, but making guns illegal greatly reduces the number of guns and limits the number of times someone would need them.[/quote]

Yes, I live in the paradise known as Chicago where guns are illegal.

Except for the fact that our gun-free paradise has multiple shootings in a day - like the one a few weeks ago where there were seven shootings/murders by these non-existant guns in a 24 or 48 hour period.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='havok579257' date='24 April 2010 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1272129036' post='2099233']
i am not even going to bother responding when your still trying to ignore evertything i posted and use my first post, a generalized post to try and make yourself look like your winning the debate. you obviously did not read any of my previous posts because you fail to recognize what i said in those posts. you completely ignore it so to make your arguement seem like its right. when you take the time to actually read my posts after my first one, then get back to me and i will answer your posts. until then, i am not going to bother responding to a person who ignores what i wrote in numerous posts.
[/quote]

Ok, fine. You are more than free to ignore whatever I say. However, to continue to prove what I have already written more than applies to all your points in this thread, I will, later today when time permits, quote and answer every single post you have made in this thread. My conclusion and assessment of your argument will be precisely the same. Fair enough?

Be blessed.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='24 April 2010 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1272154871' post='2099437']
Ok, fine. You are more than free to ignore whatever I say. However, to continue to prove what I have already written more than applies to all your points in this thread, I will, later today when time permits, quote and answer every single post you have made in this thread. My conclusion and assessment of your argument will be precisely the same. Fair enough?

Be blessed.
[/quote]
:shock: :notworthy:
Be sure to take lots of breaks! You might stroke out otherwise.

havok579257

[quote name='Norseman82' date='24 April 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1272154450' post='2099433']

Except for the fact that our gun-free paradise has multiple shootings in a day - like the one a few weeks ago where there were seven shootings/murders by these non-existant guns in a 24 or 48 hour period.
[/quote]

the concept does not work here, since in america guns are legal and you can easily cross state lines with said guns. the only way for it to work would be to make a country completely illegal to have guns. a single state with guns being illegal because of the other states.

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 April 2010 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1272143672' post='2099365']
Yes, this. To say the consumption of alcohol recreationally is immoral is to say that Christ himself acted immorally. Since it is not immoral, it would be tyrannical to outlaw it. Just like how the government in Singapore outlawed chewing gum except for medical purposes. There is no moral authority to that law either.
If you want to reverse two millennia of Catholic teaching, then give me sources that prove alcohol to be immoral and irresponsible to consume. Otherwise, be a teetotaler. I don't honestly care. Just don't arrogate yourself to tell any single other person that your way is more responsible, because the Catholic Church does not agree.
[/quote]

still waiting on those scriputes where the catholic church says i have to support legalized alcohol consumption and it is wrong if i think alcohol should be illegal except for those certain circumstances. you said you have the evidence. so i await the information that specifically says this.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' date='24 April 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1272158682' post='2099463']
still waiting on those scriputes where the catholic church says i have to support legalized alcohol consumption and it is wrong if i think alcohol should be illegal except for those certain circumstances. you said you have the evidence. so i await the information that specifically says this.
[/quote]
You're not even trying anymore, are you?

[quote name='havok579257' date='24 April 2010 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1272158526' post='2099460']
the concept does not work here, since in america guns are legal and you can easily cross state lines with said guns. the only way for it to work would be to make a country completely illegal to have guns. a single state with guns being illegal because of the other states.
[/quote]

And how do you propose to implement this?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Norseman82' date='24 April 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1272159565' post='2099472']
[/quote]
[img]http://astroguyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/130-126big-brother-is-watching-you-posters.jpg[/img]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Norseman82' date='24 April 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1272154450' post='2099433']

[/quote]
Wow Norse, you must feel very safe living in a city where there are no guns... you know... because they're illegal. :saint:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='24 April 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1272159654' post='2099475']
Wow Norse, you must feel very safe living in a city where there are no guns... you know... because they're illegal. :saint:
[/quote]
In Canada nobody is allowed to carry guns. That means that when I walk around outside, I know for sure that those shady looking guys across the street are definitely not carrying guns. No way. :yes:
The system works so well that [s]nobody[/s] [size="1"]lots of gang-bangers and sometimes innocent people caught in the crossfire, as well as murder victims[/size] dies from guns in Canada

Edited by Nihil Obstat

havok579257

[quote name='Norseman82' date='24 April 2010 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1272159565' post='2099472']
[/quote]

the entire country must make guns illegal. also the penalties for having guns need to be majorily upgraded. if you make the penlties for having a gun severe enough, it will reduce the number of people who carry illegal guns. without both of these, its not possible.

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 April 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1272159975' post='2099478']
In Canada nobody is allowed to carry guns. That means that when I walk around outside, I know for sure that those shady looking guys across the street are definitely not carrying guns. No way. :yes:
The system works so well that [s]nobody[/s] [size="1"]lots of gang-bangers and sometimes innocent people caught in the crossfire, as well as murder victims[/size] dies from guns in Canada
[/quote]

just making guns illegal does not work. strict penalties need to be added to deter illegal gun use. throwing someone in jail for illegally having a gun for say 5 years would be a great deterant.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 April 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1272159645' post='2099474']
[img]http://astroguyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/130-126big-brother-is-watching-you-posters.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Don't laugh - Chicago is considered the most "watched" city in America, with all the surveillance cameras.

Edited by Norseman82

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Norseman82' date='24 April 2010 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1272161870' post='2099493']
Don't laugh - Chicago is considered the most "watched" city in America, with all the surveillance cameras.
[/quote]
Oh, I'm not laughing. Havok's nanny state idea is profoundly frightening.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' date='24 April 2010 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1272160143' post='2099482']
just making guns illegal does not work. strict penalties need to be added to deter illegal gun use. throwing someone in jail for illegally having a gun for say 5 years would be a great deterant.
[/quote]
Do you even know what the penalties are in Canada? How can you say that they're too lenient if you don't have the faintest idea what they actually are?