An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Time To Lower The Drinking Age?

Lil Red

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find quite ridiculous any society in which it is illicit for a minor to drink alcohol but legal for her to murder her child.

Edited by Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='17 April 2010 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1271547024' post='2095269']
I find quite ridiculous any society in which it is illicit for a minor to drink alcohol but legal for her to murder her child.
[/quote]
In my Japan thread I was informed that bringing up abortion is a logical fallacy. :mellow:

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='17 April 2010 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1271525735' post='2095137']
Shall we make cell phones and cd changers illegal as well? They're fine most of the time, but are killers when it comes to distracted driving. Ban them entirely and it should solve distracted driving, right?
[/quote]

are you honestly trying to compare the death rate from drunk driving to cell phones and cd player. i bring up a legit point and you turn your argument into a joke. drunk driving is the number one killer amoung your adults and like the number 3 or 4 killer amoung everyone else. the deaths from drunk driving have been in the millions. although yet according to your logic, cd players and cell phones have killed millions of people. next time, come up with a legit argument.

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='17 April 2010 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1271562053' post='2095354']
In my Japan thread I was informed that bringing up abortion is a logical fallacy. :mellow:
[/quote]

comparing abortion to death in war are two different things. death is war is some times permissable, abortion is never.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' date='17 April 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1271564007' post='2095386']
are you honestly trying to compare the death rate from drunk driving to cell phones and cd player. i bring up a legit point and you turn your argument into a joke. drunk driving is the number one killer amoung your adults and like the number 3 or 4 killer amoung everyone else. the deaths from drunk driving have been in the millions. although yet according to your logic, cd players and cell phones have killed millions of people. next time, come up with a legit argument.
[/quote]
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
How many people get into accidents because they're distracted by..... eating, talking on the phone, changing CDs, putting on makeup? Lots. It's been shown that driving with those distractions is quite comparable to driving drunk. They probably don't keep stats on that, although I may be wrong. I'd look it up if I cared to back up my point, but to be honest, I think it stands on common sense alone.
Besides all that, billions of people in the world drink responsibly, and a small minority do not. Like Slappo said, ban driving fullstop. That'll save lots of people. Except that's a ridiculous thing to consider, because the vast majority of people are responsible and (marginally) capable drivers.
Perfectly comparable. Don't get mad at me because I like the concept of alcoholic beverages and you don't.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' date='17 April 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1271564118' post='2095387']
comparing abortion to death in war are two different things. death is war is some times permissable, abortion is never.
[/quote]
Directly targeting innocents, however, is also never permissible.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='17 April 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1271564470' post='2095391']
*thread merge*
[/quote]
Oops. :saint:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='18 April 2010 - 05:19 AM' timestamp='1271564374' post='2095389']
How many people get into accidents because they're distracted by..... eating, talking on the phone, changing CDs, putting on makeup? Lots. It's been shown that driving with those distractions is quite comparable to driving drunk. They probably don't keep stats on that, although I may be wrong. I'd look it up if I cared to back up my point, but to be honest, I think it stands on common sense alone.
Besides all that, billions of people in the world drink responsibly, and a small minority do not. Like Slappo said, ban driving fullstop. That'll save lots of people. Except that's a ridiculous thing to consider, because the vast majority of people are responsible and (marginally) capable drivers.
Perfectly comparable. Don't get mad at me because I like the concept of alcoholic beverages and you don't.
[/quote]
I don't know about how it is there, but I'm fairly certain it's illegal to talk on a mobile phone whilst driving here, because of the level of distraction. It might be OK if you have a hands-free thing, but I don't know.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='17 April 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1271565467' post='2095420']
I don't know about how it is there, but I'm fairly certain it's illegal to talk on a mobile phone whilst driving here, because of the level of distraction. It might be OK if you have a hands-free thing, but I don't know.
[/quote]
Many areas are working on banning that for exactly that reason. Not sure I agree with the legislation, but that's what the general trend is.

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='18 April 2010 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1271564374' post='2095389']
[/quote]

driving with distractions does not kill at the rate the same as drunk driving does. also, maybe people in other countries who don't drink and drive are the vast majority, but not in america. america has the higest drunk driving rates in the world, i think. i am also not talking abou the rest of the world since i have no clue what they do with drinking and driving. i am just talking about america and in america it is one of the biggest problems we face.

by making alcohol illegal in the states would greatly reduce the deaths by drunk driving. not just some, but greatly. also it would reduce the number of innocent people killed by drunk drivers. i would easily give up alcohol and make it illegal if it meant not another innocent child, mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, wiife or husband died at the hands of a drunk driver. why wouldn't you?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' date='17 April 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1271566567' post='2095435']
driving with distractions does not kill at the rate the same as drunk driving does. also, maybe people in other countries who don't drink and drive are the vast majority, but not in america. america has the higest drunk driving rates in the world, i think. i am also not talking abou the rest of the world since i have no clue what they do with drinking and driving. i am just talking about america and in america it is one of the biggest problems we face.

by making alcohol illegal in the states would greatly reduce the deaths by drunk driving. not just some, but greatly. also it would reduce the number of innocent people killed by drunk drivers. i would easily give up alcohol and make it illegal if it meant not another innocent child, mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, wiife or husband died at the hands of a drunk driver. why wouldn't you?
[/quote]
The enormous majority of American drivers do not drive drunk. That's simple mathematics. Look at the number of vehicles on the road.

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='18 April 2010 - 12:57 AM' timestamp='1271566665' post='2095437']
The enormous majority of American drivers do not drive drunk. That's simple mathematics. Look at the number of vehicles on the road.
[/quote]

it comes to this. how many innocent people would still be alive today if alcohol was illegal even 10 years ago. how many innocent people have died at the hands of a drunk driver in the past year. can you honestly tell me, keeping alcohol legal is more important that all the innocent people who died at the drunk drivers hands? drunk driving is the number one killer amoung young adults. eliminating alcohol drastically reduces the mortality of young adults. the benefits of alcohol do not outway the lives it costs.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' date='18 April 2010 - 12:01 AM' timestamp='1271566912' post='2095442']
it comes to this. how many innocent people would still be alive today if alcohol was illegal even 10 years ago. how many innocent people have died at the hands of a drunk driver in the past year. can you honestly tell me, keeping alcohol legal is more important that all the innocent people who died at the drunk drivers hands? drunk driving is the number one killer amoung young adults. eliminating alcohol drastically reduces the mortality of young adults. the benefits of alcohol do not outway the lives it costs.
[/quote]
How many innocent people would be alive today if cars, fast food, and cigarettes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and high fructose corn syrup were illegal? I don't want to ban any of those either.