An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Time To Lower The Drinking Age?

Lil Red

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='havok579257' date='17 April 2010 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1271482959' post='2095042']
alcohol, except in places of worship should be illegal for everyone, for everyone.
[/quote]

good thing it wasn't illegal in 1st century palestine.

I'm really really really really really really tempted to post an entire essay from chesterton

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='15 April 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1271367284' post='2094246']
In my ideal world, we would have better public transporation here in the US so that teens would not "need" to be driving. I'd raise the driving age to 18 (you could learn earlier, but you couldn't drive alone until 18). I would make the drinking age lower, probably-- but it needs to be national, rather than on a state by state basis like it used to be. When MN and IL were 19 and WI was 18, there was a lot of drinking and driving across state lines. I would say, probably 19. (I was 18 most of my senior year of HS, so that would not be ideal, imho.)

And I realize this is unconstitional... but this is [i]my[/i] ideal world, right? You would have to pass a basic civics test to vote... no age minimum. ;)
[/quote]

:) I don't have a problem with thinking about how to improve upon our constitution.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' date='17 April 2010 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1271482959' post='2095042']
alcohol, except in places of worship should be illegal for everyone, for everyone.
[/quote]
How Puritan. :mellow:

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='17 April 2010 - 02:21 AM' timestamp='1271485275' post='2095050']
How Puritan. :mellow:
[/quote]

not puritan. alcohol is a deadly drug. by having it legal, the laws concerning it are way more leanient. perfect example is drunk driving. you can get numerous dui's and still have a liscense. by making it illegal, then the laws become way more strict. anyone caught drunk driving goes to jail, end of story. drunk driving is the number one killer amoung younger people. making alcohol illegal drastically reduces the death rates of younger people. will peopleto still drink and drive? es. will it happen at the rate it happens at today? absolutly not.

i am all for making alcohol illegal if it means it can save millions of life. call me puritan if you want, i perfer to be called pro-life. this is an easy way to save millions of people, millions of them being completely innocent people hit by drunk drivers. its completely selfish not want to make alcohol illegal when it could and would and is guarentted to save millions of lives. i am more than willing to sacrifice the ability to use a drug so that millions of people can be saved.

[quote name='havok579257' date='17 April 2010 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1271520100' post='2095116']
[b] alcohol is a deadly drug. [/b]
[/quote]

:lol_roll:

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 April 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1271360434' post='2094170']

i would have serious problems sending young men off to fight for a government they have no say in.

[/quote]
That was brought up. Same military service could provide voting rights prior to age 25.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='havok579257' date='17 April 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1271520100' post='2095116']
not puritan. alcohol is a deadly drug. by having it legal, the laws concerning it are way more leanient. perfect example is drunk driving. you can get numerous dui's and still have a liscense. by making it illegal, then the laws become way more strict. anyone caught drunk driving goes to jail, end of story. drunk driving is the number one killer amoung younger people. making alcohol illegal drastically reduces the death rates of younger people. will peopleto still drink and drive? es. will it happen at the rate it happens at today? absolutly not.

i am all for making alcohol illegal if it means it can save millions of life. call me puritan if you want, i perfer to be called pro-life. this is an easy way to save millions of people, millions of them being completely innocent people hit by drunk drivers. its completely selfish not want to make alcohol illegal when it could and would and is guarentted to save millions of lives. i am more than willing to sacrifice the ability to use a drug so that millions of people can be saved.
[/quote]
Shall we make cell phones and cd changers illegal as well? They're fine most of the time, but are killers when it comes to distracted driving. Ban them entirely and it should solve distracted driving, right?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='17 April 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1271525735' post='2095137']
Shall we make cell phones and cd changers illegal as well? They're fine most of the time, but are killers when it comes to distracted driving. Ban them entirely and it should solve distracted driving, right?
[/quote]

better idea: Ban driving :mellow:

Think about it... saves billions of dollars on the costs of cars, no car accidents, no drunk driving, no speeding tickets, go green and not use up all our natural resources ( :unsure: ).....

the list continues. Obviously anyone who doesn't want to ban driving is selfish. :mellow:

You guys are missing out on the real villain. Sugar is the real evil of today's world. That sweet sugary goodness causes countless deaths due to diabetes and obesity. It is a deadly drug that should be banned immediately.

I think we should ban Dihydrogen monoxide. it is fatal if inhaled, and people who drink it are dying a slow death that can take up to80-90 years to finish, slowly withering away.

ban it immediately.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='17 April 2010 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1271527761' post='2095165']
I think we should ban Dihydrogen monoxide. it is fatal if inhaled, and people who drink it are dying a slow death that can take up to80-90 years to finish, slowly withering away.

ban it immediately.
[/quote]
Sadly, despite numerous signed petitions calling for the ban of this substance Congress has failed to act.

God Conquers

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='17 April 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1271527761' post='2095165']

ban it immediately.
[/quote]

It is truly a scourge upon this planet. It has devoured much of our Sodium Chloride. We must rid ourselves of it at any cost.

SaintOfVirtue

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='17 April 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1271527761' post='2095165']

ban it immediately.
[/quote]

For those of you who are not scientifically minded dihydrogen monoxide is known as H2O or water. I also believe there is a group of climate change fanatics purposing it be outlawed as well; on the grounds that dihydrogen monoxide vapor causes global warming. (no sarcasm, true statement) :mellow:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Slappo' date='17 April 2010 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1271526179' post='2095143']
better idea: Ban driving :mellow:

Think about it... saves billions of dollars on the costs of cars, no car accidents, no drunk driving, no speeding tickets, go green and not use up all our natural resources ( :unsure: ).....

the list continues. Obviously anyone who doesn't want to ban driving is selfish. :mellow:
[/quote]

[quote name='Formosus' date='17 April 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1271527531' post='2095161']
You guys are missing out on the real villain. Sugar is the real evil of today's world. That sweet sugary goodness causes countless deaths due to diabetes and obesity. It is a deadly drug that should be banned immediately.
[/quote]

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='17 April 2010 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1271527761' post='2095165']

ban it immediately.
[/quote]
I'm ashamed I didn't think of these myself. :weep: