An Old School Catholic Message Board

Facebook Prayer

Lilllabettt

Lilllabettt

Maybe some of youse have seen this on FB. It's one of those fan/group pages:

[quote]Dear Lord, this year you took my favorite actor, Patrick Swayzie. You took m yfavorite actress, Farah Fawcett. You took my favorite singer, Michael Jackson. I just wanted to let you know, my favorite president is Barack Obama. Amen.[/quote]

A lot of people on my friend list signed up. Obviously its meant to be funny, but I don't know. It strikes me as crass.

I must admit, the first time I saw it I laughed. :( I'm ashamed of that.

The more I read it and think about it, the more I don't think it's appropriate. I don't like it when people make fun of death or people who have died. God have mercy on their souls - we should pray for those who have died, no matter who they are. It's something that will happen to all of us one day.

Edited by CherieMadame

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='MissyP89' date='23 April 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1272065906' post='2098867']
And Swayze is spelled wrong.[/quote]
I was hoping someone would point this out. :sweat: I'm unofficially bound by a rule against pointing out such things.

Patrick Swayze is not my favorite actor, Farrah Fawcett is not my favorite actress, and Michael Jackson is not my favorite singer. This does not compute.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='23 April 2010 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1272064263' post='2098852']
Maybe some of youse have seen this on FB. It's one of those fan/group pages:

A lot of people on my friend list signed up. Obviously its meant to be funny, but I don't know. It strikes me as crass.
[/quote]

It's one thing to disagree with, or not support President Obama. It's quite another to wish the President dead. Tasteless, at best.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='23 April 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1272066472' post='2098873']
don't blame me i cutted and pasted
[/quote]
I wasn't thinking that at all. :notworthy:

Lilllabettt

isn't wishing the President dead, publicly like that ... a good way to get the Secret Service in your business?

When I first saw it a couple of weeks ago, I had a good laugh. But I didn't join because I don't agree with it. (even though it's hilarious)

dominicansoul

i didn't find it funny...it's one of those jokes you hear and wish to never hear it again...

I've heard it with various other names (not just barrack obama.) It's actually wishing the person dead, and so, I don't think it's funny...