Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saturday Afternoon And Evening Masses A No-No


Recommended Posts

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='20 May 2010 - 09:15 AM' timestamp='1274361330' post='2114116']
I could see where that would be a problem. :hehe: I mean, if it is a practice to not do certain things before Mass, then what is one supposed to do if one doesn't go to Mass?

I take it upon myself to practice the fast the Church had before Vatican II, no food before Mass, from midnite, (not just the one hour abstinence.) If I go to the Vigil, and for some reason, don't make it to Mass on Sunday, just out of habit, I find myself fasting...and more than once I didn't eat most of my Sunday, until I realized, "Geez, I forgot to eat!" :lol:
[/quote]
I frequently forget to eat just cuz I lose track of time on a regular basis. :hehe: That's why I had to get married --so James would be around to tell me to eat. lol!

It's also weird to go on Sunday evening, if I have to, because then I don't feel right about turning on the computer, but if I have homework or something, I need to, so it's just weird. Moral of the story: I like going on Sunday morning or it just doesn't feel right!

Miss Hepburn
Posted

Wednesday morning is when I go and that's all there is to it.
I avoid distracting crowds. What can I say.
Everyday is blessed to me.
It's between me and God and we're both fine with it.
I should have been a hermit.
I practice His Presence constantly.
My alone time at Wed. morning Mass
with the other 9-15 people is very special.
You all may think less of me, I'm sorry.

[size="2"][size="1"](A very astute reader would notice every sentence I used had either, "I, me or my " in it.
Go ahead and analyze me - I don't have the money for therapy. Any free insight is welcomed.)
[/size]
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] Miss Hepburn[/size]

Posted

I may be missing something here.

But if my parish had Mass at 9 am and 11 am -- I would tend to gravitate more towards the one that fit in with how I chose to spend the rest of my day. Do I like to get up and get going? Do I like to sleep in? Do I like to flip through the Sunday paper before church or afterwards? There is no right answer here. One of my very devout Catholic grandmothers is an early bird would go to the earliest Mass in the morning. 7 am sounds great. Up and at em! Well begun is half done. My other very devout Catholic grandmother would go to the latest one offered. Noon will do if there is no later option -- and this was in the pre-Vatican II days when the communion fast started at midnight! It is not the case that one way is better than the other, they're just different.

I would not worry in the slightest about which one I "ought" to go to, or if I had a "good enough reason" for picking 9 over 11 or vice versa. Of course I'll pick one that I find convenient. What else ought I to do, deliberately pick the one that mucks up my life? That would be odd.

If a Saturday evening Mass is licit, which we have established it is, now in my hypothetical parish I have three options. 5 pm on Saturday, 9 am and 11 am on Sunday.

In my head, the same thought process would apply. "Do I really really need the Saturday evening option?" seems to be the wrong sort of question to ask.

Much of this discussion is seeming overly legalistic to me -- and legalistic in ways that are at odds with canon law! Which does not make tons of sense in my confused little head.

EcceNovaFacioOmni
Posted (edited)

I understand that, theologically, it seems to make more sense to attend Mass on the sabbath, however, given that the Church allows for the obligation to be satisfied at a Saturday vigil, I don't see any reason to make this an issue. It's the kind of thing that's more likely to drive people away, and it's more restrictive than what the Church requires.

Edited by thedude
fides quarens intellectum
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Miss Hepburn' date='21 May 2010 - 08:15 AM' timestamp='1274447758' post='2114645']
You all may think less of me, I'm sorry.
[/quote]

Why would we think less of you? I know of other people who have gotten permission from their pastor to move their weekly obligation from Saturday vigil/Sunday to a weekday Mass because they had to work long hours on the weekend making it impossible for them to go. Pastors do have that right.

Edited by fides quarens intellectum
abrideofChrist
Posted

[quote name='krissylou' date='25 May 2010 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1274843539' post='2117970']
I may be missing something here.

But if my parish had Mass at 9 am and 11 am -- I would tend to gravitate more towards the one that fit in with how I chose to spend the rest of my day. Do I like to get up and get going? Do I like to sleep in? Do I like to flip through the Sunday paper before church or afterwards? There is no right answer here. One of my very devout Catholic grandmothers is an early bird would go to the earliest Mass in the morning. 7 am sounds great. Up and at em! Well begun is half done. My other very devout Catholic grandmother would go to the latest one offered. Noon will do if there is no later option -- and this was in the pre-Vatican II days when the communion fast started at midnight! It is not the case that one way is better than the other, they're just different.

I would not worry in the slightest about which one I "ought" to go to, or if I had a "good enough reason" for picking 9 over 11 or vice versa. Of course I'll pick one that I find convenient. What else ought I to do, deliberately pick the one that mucks up my life? That would be odd.

If a Saturday evening Mass is licit, which we have established it is, now in my hypothetical parish I have three options. 5 pm on Saturday, 9 am and 11 am on Sunday.

In my head, the same thought process would apply. "Do I really really need the Saturday evening option?" seems to be the wrong sort of question to ask.

Much of this discussion is seeming overly legalistic to me -- and legalistic in ways that are at odds with canon law! Which does not make tons of sense in my confused little head.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. It is the Church that requires us to go to Mass on Sundays/Holydays or their vigils. This is Church law, not Divine law. If the Church allows vigils to be counted as fulfilling the obligation without adding loopholes such as "if necessity requires", then we should not be more Catholic than the Pope.

tinytherese
Posted

I wasn't trying to be legalistic. I was just told by some other Catholics that you had to have a sufficient reason for attending on a saturday.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Personally I like to go to mass during the week at the 5:45 mass in Montreal at my favorite church. There are only 2-3 other people there with me. I really enjoy the simple masses, the ones on the weekend and on holidays are too elaborate for me sometimes. I have been to certain holiday/special services, and they were great, but I feel closer to God during the simple weekday masses.

Posted

[quote name='kljoyce' date='14 June 2010 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1276534761' post='2128561']
Personally I like to go to mass during the week at the 5:45 mass in Montreal at my favorite church. There are only 2-3 other people there with me. I really enjoy the simple masses, the ones on the weekend and on holidays are too elaborate for me sometimes. I have been to certain holiday/special services, and they were great, but I feel closer to God during the simple weekday masses.
[/quote]
2-3 others? Wow. That's crazy. I would like a liturgy like that because it would be quiet. Unfortunately though, your situation seems to remark about the situation Quebec seems to have concerning the faith. (despite all the beautiful churches and history of faith there! I miss seeing it =/ :weep:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...