EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 FYI, the Pontifical John Paul II Institute is graduate only. Is CUA on the list?
Vincent Vega Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='Semper Catholic' date='27 April 2010 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1272422776' post='2101351'] University of Notre Dame Boston College [/quote] [quote][size="5"][font="Arial Black"][u][i][b]Solid[/b][/i][/u][/font][/size] Catholic Colleges And Universities[/quote]
Thy Geekdom Come Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='Semper Catholic' date='27 April 2010 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1272422776' post='2101351'] Boston College [/quote] Faculty including: [quote]Thomas H. Groome M.Div. (equiv.), M.A., Ed.D. (Union Theological Seminary/Columbia University Teachers College) Professor of Theology and Religious Education[/quote] NOT ORTHODOX!!!
CatherineM Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='27 April 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1272422120' post='2101340'] A long-time PMer is a theology prof at Newman University. [/quote] It would be nice if you could say that about me someday.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='CatherineM' date='27 April 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1272424100' post='2101364'] It would be nice if you could say that about me someday. [/quote] Okay. A (different) long-time PMer is a theology prof at Newman University. The above is a lie.
tinytherese Posted April 28, 2010 Author Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='thedude' date='27 April 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1272422447' post='2101350'] FYI, the Pontifical John Paul II Institute is graduate only. Is CUA on the list? [/quote] Yes, it's on the list.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='27 April 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1272423277' post='2101357'] Faculty including: NOT ORTHODOX!!! [/quote] I've actually heard that the BC theology grad school is good. They have a Pontifical faculty that grants ecclesiastical degrees. I think it's somewhat autonomous from the rest of the school, which I don't know anything about.
N/A Gone Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='Raphael' date='27 April 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1272423277' post='2101357'] Faculty including: NOT ORTHODOX!!! [/quote] Do you know the man or what makes you assume he is not Orthodox? Does he have a rep? Is it his educational background? Is it his topics of interest? (Catholic Identity, Praxis of Religious Education, Sharing, Faith and Religious Education, Education of Christians: Past, Present and, Future, Seminar in Pastoral Theology) I am just wondering why you think this.
tinytherese Posted April 28, 2010 Author Posted April 28, 2010 (edited) I've heard that Notre Dame can be a good place to study undergraduate theology if you take the right professors. I'm not sure about their graduate programs though. Fordham University might be orthodox. Edited April 28, 2010 by tinytherese
Totus Tuus Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='LivingStone' date='27 April 2010 - 09:45 PM' timestamp='1272419139' post='2101281'] Coming from Chicago, I'd be careful w/ Loyola. I know there are some solid pockets there, but for theology, ... [/quote] Yeah, I have heard the same; there's probably a reason it's not in the Newman Guide.
SaintOfVirtue Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='CherieMadame' date='27 April 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1272414398' post='2101190'] Do you go there? I remember seeing their website a couple of years ago and being fascinated. I'd love to talk with someone who goes there and see what it's like - I know a college student who is very interested in film ... it's actually his major. [/quote] Not yet, but their website is [url="http://www.jpcatholic.com/"]here[/url]. It looks to me to be a solid Catholic school, they actually work the academic schedule around the one for the chapel and the priest. I've visited it twice now and I am fairly sure that I will be attending this fall.
mcts Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='tinytherese' date='28 April 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1272429153' post='2101421'] I've heard that Notre Dame can be a good place to study undergraduate theology if you take the right professors. I'm not sure about their graduate programs though. Fordham University might be orthodox. [/quote] This is very true. You definitely have to look out, but there are more professors that are orthodox than not. I've heard conflicting things about the graduate programs.
TeresaBenedicta Posted April 28, 2010 Posted April 28, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='27 April 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1272421493' post='2101322'] Seton Hall University, look at our newly renovated chapel! [URL=http://img18.imageshack.us/i/img0490sg9.jpg/][IMG]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2278/img0490sg9.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [/quote] Beautiful!!! I know one of the perspective candidates for presidency pretty well... and if he gets the job, you can guarantee that Seton Hall will be heading very quickly to the Newman Guide list.
Brother Adam Posted April 30, 2010 Posted April 30, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='27 April 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1272421493' post='2101322'] Seton Hall University, look at our newly renovated chapel! [URL=http://img18.imageshack.us/i/img0490sg9.jpg/][IMG]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2278/img0490sg9.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [/quote] One of the reasons Newman rejects Seton Hall: Bishop Criticizes Planned Same-Sex 'Marriage' Course Thank you, Archbishop John Myers! Today the Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey, issued a powerful statement critical of Seton Hall University’s plans to offer a class on same-sex “marriage” in the Fall 2010 semester. The proposed class would be taught by an openly homosexual associate professor who was demoted in 2005 after complaining about the Catholic Church’s stance on homosexuality. Archbishop Myers wrote, “This proposed course seeks to promote as legitimate a train of thought that is contrary to what the Church teaches. As a result, the course is not in synch with Catholic teaching.” Read the rest of the Archbishop’s excellent statement.
CatherineM Posted April 30, 2010 Posted April 30, 2010 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='30 April 2010 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1272663379' post='2102817'] One of the reasons Newman rejects Seton Hall: Bishop Criticizes Planned Same-Sex 'Marriage' Course Thank you, Archbishop John Myers! Today the Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey, issued a powerful statement critical of Seton Hall University’s plans to offer a class on same-sex “marriage” in the Fall 2010 semester. The proposed class would be taught by an openly homosexual associate professor who was demoted in 2005 after complaining about the Catholic Church’s stance on homosexuality. Archbishop Myers wrote, “This proposed course seeks to promote as legitimate a train of thought that is contrary to what the Church teaches. As a result, the course is not in synch with Catholic teaching.” Read the rest of the Archbishop’s excellent statement. [/quote] Really saddened when I read this.
tinytherese Posted April 30, 2010 Author Posted April 30, 2010 (edited) Somehow Providence College made it to The Newman Giude, yet it has a gay pride club and their theology program is supposed to be very poor. Edited April 30, 2010 by tinytherese
missio_redemptoris Posted May 1, 2010 Posted May 1, 2010 [quote name='mcts' date='28 April 2010 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1272464222' post='2101513'] This is very true. You definitely have to look out, but there are more professors that are orthodox than not. I've heard conflicting things about the graduate programs. [/quote] Agreed. Having been a student at Notre Dame, it gets a worse rep than it deserves - many of the professors are very orthodox. That said, it's also definitely not the same in terms of pure orthodoxy as going to some of the smaller Catholic schools, but it's a trade-off. And liturgical life at ND is very vibrant and very available, btw.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted May 1, 2010 Posted May 1, 2010 [quote name='Revprodeji' date='28 April 2010 - 12:22 AM' timestamp='1272428573' post='2101412'] Do you know the man or what makes you assume he is not Orthodox? Does he have a rep? Is it his educational background? Is it his topics of interest? (Catholic Identity, Praxis of Religious Education, Sharing, Faith and Religious Education, Education of Christians: Past, Present and, Future, Seminar in Pastoral Theology) I am just wondering why you think this. [/quote] Write Sr. M. Johanna at FUS an email telling her you think Groome is a great scholar. You'll probably get kicked out of the program. Groome is the guy who ruined catechetical methods following the Second Vatican Council. Gabriel Moran imported atheistic philosophy (Nietzsche et al.) into catechetical content and Groome, his student, brought in atheistic psychology (Freud et al.). Groome led to the school of catechetical thought that said methods should focus on making collages and singing Kumbaya. My understanding is that the thought behind this (presented in a VERY basic way) was that associating happy thoughts and such with "Jesus-time" would make people like God. Of course, in such a scenario, they're not actually having a relationship with God at all, just themselves.
N/A Gone Posted May 2, 2010 Posted May 2, 2010 I never said Groome was a great scholar Micah. I simply asked why you had such strong emotions. I have never heard of the guy. I just learned today that Catholic University of America has a distance PhD program, but it might not be the most orthodox. Does anyone know about this? I am seriously debating a PhD program, but I do not like the options yet.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now