Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Solid Catholic Colleges And Universities


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

If you know someone who is interested in psychology or counseling, you'll probably want to have them look up the:

[b][url="http://ipsciences.edu/"][b]Institute for the Psychological Sciences
[/b][/url][/b]
They aren't a pontifical university as such, but the whole project is committed to connect psychology with the faith and sound philosophy. Fr. Frank Pavone was recently there, a bunch of good folks support their work even though they're a small, but incredibly specialized school. For example, I know Cardinal Ratzinger supported them early in their formation (they got established in 1999). They're associated with the Legion of Christ and have persevered though the recent turmoils.

I've been discussing some of their work and the activities of Catholics in psychology in general on [b][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=65956"][b]this thread[/b][/url][/b].

Edited by ExCorde
Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1272842375' post='2103807']
I have a question for people wanting to attend "sold" and "orthodox" schools.

I understand, from a parents perspective. You don't want to pay big $$$ to have your kid taught junk.

But from the person attending's perspective ...

... why is it that big a deal?

Is it a social/spiritual thing? You want to be with people you feel comfortable with?

Is it an intellectual thing? You're not sure your brain would be able to resist in a captive, hostile situation for 4 years?

do you think you won't learn as much if the environment is not orthodox?

I ask because I have always thought the point of college was to rub against the grain. Sharpen the intellect and the will knife-style.

I think of high school as a time to "sponge" up stuff, and college as a time to contradict, debate, and test your own independent understanding .. and its way more effective to do that in an environment where authority figures disagree with you ...

so .. . those are my thoughts. maybe this is a hijack and it needs its own thread.
[/quote]
I will try to explain why I wanted to go to a Catholic college, and why I appreciate being here...
I wanted to go because I found education elsewhere frustrating and relatively unproductive... I studied Social Sciences in CEGEP (institutions unique to Quebec, = grade 12 + 1st year of university in a roughly university type of format, but smaller), and I found it very difficult/impossible to integrate the various philosophies behind the various disciplines. I don't like feeling internally fragmented, so the other option would have been to simply acquire facts &c. and spill them out on the exam -- to keep it superficial. The problem with that is that then my education wouldn't have been as productive as I wanted it to be. I noticed that most of my school-mates seemed to be taking the superficial route, where what was taught in one class belonged to that class and was unrelated both to other classes and to reality as a whole. I didn't want my education to be divorced from the consideration of truth -- developing critical thinking skills (meaning being able to spot inconsistencies?) is valuable, but I think education should have the aim of increasing one's understanding of and appreciation for truth, and that the ability to reason should be a means to this end, not an end in itself. And besides, I didn't find myself using as strict reason as I would have liked to, partly because of time considerations, and partly because I knew that the teachers would have to give me a good grade for something that was reasonably well-argued, even if I could think of objections to my argument.

Now that I'm at Thomas Aquinas College, I definitely do appreciate the social/spiritual aspect. I like being in an environment where everyone (well, mostly, or at least to some extent) is striving to come to an understanding of truth and is trying to grow in wisdom and holiness. I love the sacramental like and the reverence and love for God that is displayed. I especially like the integrated aspect of the program, where things discussed in one class can be brought up to illuminate the material for another class, where we remain in the same section of students for all classes, and where the curriculum is designed to help the student acquire an understanding of reality.

And, in fact, since our classes are discussions, there is more opportunity to contradict, debate, and test our own independent understanding than I had in CEGEP.

Posted

Reading through this thread makes me happy ([u].[/u]) [s]that[/s] [b][color="#006400"]censored for charity[/color][/b].

Posted

I find I like going to an orthodox school simply because I don't have to fight with professors about what the church teaches.

Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1297399574' post='2211258']
I find I like going to an orthodox school simply because I don't have to fight with professors about what the church teaches.
[/quote]

Yes, it certainly is less exhausting/draining.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...