An Old School Catholic Message Board

Birth Control And Poverty

N/A Gone

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='06 May 2010 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1273173029' post='2105950']
Werd. I was only talking about the video, at face value, I have no intention of dissing their organization or efforts as a whole. I'm sure they've got good stuff. Maybe this is just their attempt to jump on the cheap youtube propaganda bandwagon. :idontknow:
[/quote]
probably :idontknow:

tinytherese

How about this page? http://overpopulationisamyth.com/overpopulation-the-making-of-a-myth

Sister Marie

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='05 May 2010 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1273085199' post='2105459']
How would you recommend answering this?
[/quote]

My first response would be that the pill actually causes abortions. The biology of how it works explains that women on the pill will always have "breakthrough" ovulation and can become pregnant when that happens. They never even know it though because the pill keeps them regular and their cycle continues.

The next thing I would point out is how offensive it is to the dignity human beings to say they can't control themselves. We have both intellect and free will so that we make decisions; we aren't reduced to acting on impulse. Further, those with less access to good education and community resources, namely the poor, need to be loved into knowing their goodness and dignity so that they feel empowered to make good decisions for themselves. They need to know their worth. It is a fact that planned parenthood targets the poor and minorities as their largest segment of "patients" or "customers"... I don't know what to call them. Maybe instead of giving into that we need to stand up and say it is unacceptable for the poor to be treated in that way.

I don't know if that helped but I get so riled up over these things! I took a college course on the Theology of the Body and had a wonderful teacher really explain a lot of things about the pill that many people don't know. For instance, the pill was originally an experimental drug for men... it failed because of some unattractive side effects. However, when it was given to women and they had strokes and died... it passed with flying colors. The pill is a women's rights issue but not in the way many people think.

Please let us know where this goes if you feel comfortable sharing it.