An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Franciscan Community For Men

MithLuin

TraditionalCatholic5

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326653352' post='2369565']
I was reading Father's letter on age discrimination, and after reading it all I could think was "My people!" I have [i]always [/i]thought these things, especially when it comes to schooling! I have been somewhat disregarded because of my age, and I'm so happy that a good Franciscan Priest is willing to fight for us! My argument has always been Saint Therese of Lisiuex and Saint Padre Pio, who both entered Religious life at the age of fifteen. People always say "But those were different times". Hogwash! Saint Therese had to fight to get into the Carmelites with all she had, even going to the Pope and asking him permission! She fought her way into Mount Carmel, and I will stand up for both young and late Vocations. I've been told that I should "live life first", before considering it as much as I am. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! This "life" in which they speak of is that of sin, temptation, and the Devil constantly telling you to forget about Religious life. The Religious life is the way everyone should live. I don't mean everyone should go and enter Mount Carmel today, but that the life of prayer, of receiving the Sacraments, of being humble and generous, and of depending on God (Not the Government) is what Jesus calls for all of us.

The age discrimination for me has been terrible at times. I even had one person tell me that the person doesn't want an inexperienced twenty-five year old Priest taking care of a Parish, and that they rather have a thirty-year old Priest. I've been told to calm down with my zeal for this for so long that I began to think this was way of thinking was right! I'm so glad that Father gave me back my senses!

Whew... I've been wanting to say that without risk of being yelled at for a long time. :P

But I do have one question: It says they don't have any academic requirements to join. What if you want to be a Priest? Do they take Priests into their Community? I assume they do, since they hold the Rule and the life of Francis so dear.
[/quote]

Hello friend, I'm also discerning a vocation but not with the Brother Minors. I'm pretty sure they have some brothers studying for the priesthood, or at least will shortly, I read it in an article. Also I don't know about the Brother Minors but most communities require at least a high school diploma if you want to study to become a priest. I don't know about the Brothers though..... God bless you, I'll pray for you.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='TraditionalCatholic5' timestamp='1326654374' post='2369586']
Hello friend, I'm also discerning a vocation but not with the Brother Minors. I'm pretty sure they have some brothers studying for the priesthood, or at least will shortly, I read it in an article. Also I don't know about the Brother Minors but most communities require at least a high school diploma if you want to study to become a priest. I don't know about the Brothers though..... God bless you, I'll pray for you.
[/quote]

That would be most Communities, yes, but this is not your average Community. They will take you even if you're seventy and have no diploma of any sort. I would assume this means you may study for the Priesthood without one, but I am not sure. Like I said, I do plan on getting my high school diploma. This is just an important question because if the economy goes terribly, I won't be able to finish, as you unfortunately need to pay money to do the G.E.D. test.

I agree that age discrimination is not right. But those who enter young, enter because they have the emotional and spiritual strength, and[b] stability[/b], to not just cope but flourish.

It is imprudent to say that what you are escaping by entering is the life of sin, temptation, and the Devil - no. The Lord creates everything in glorious goodness and beauty, and to deny that is blasphemy. We know we have made a good decision in entering a house or brotherhood when we have taken a good look at what this wonderful world has to offer and choose what we believe is something better. Riches are enjoyable, but being poor can be more so. Sex is great, but celibacy can be better. Freedom of will is our crowning glory, but it can be more glorious to give the crown back for its maker to keep.

If you are going to be a friar or a priest in the world, you are going to have given up all those good things, and in your work be nose-to-nose with sin, temptation and the Devil every day of your life. A decision based on a sense of escape isn't going to last.

The only priest right now is Fr. David Mary, but last I talked to them, a few friars were looking forward to beginning study for the priesthood once they reach that part in their religious formation.
I'm going to guess that the fine prints says one needs a high school diploma if he wants to be a priest, but maybe they will work with him on getting a GED if he doesn't have one. Yes, they gladly take a 70 year old man without a diploma as a brother, but there would have to be some serious discernment if he felt called to the priesthood--if he could live it out, get through the studies, etc. If you want to know for sure, ask the brothers!

somethingfishy

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326652397' post='2369555']
when Jesus chose his Disciples, they were not well educated, and this did not stop him. The only one that was educated was a tax collector
[/quote]

I just want to caution you slightly. Not to dampen your zeal, which is a good and holy thing, but to introduce another perspective for you to consider.

God wants us to develop and use the gifts he has given us, and the properly ordered development of those natural talents brings him glory. Of course it's not great to pursue a university education to bring praise upon yourself, or to do so in knowing opposition to the will of God. Not all are meant to go to university, but some are. And for those who are, it would be an obstacle to their vocation if they did not go.

To put it in more personal terms... I recently graduated from university, and I continue to study theology and literature (as well as write) in my free time. My study goes hand-in-hand with my prayer life -- they each enrich and strengthen the other. They seem to rise and fall together -- if I neglect one, the other suffers. So for me, study is not an option but a requirement. This is one of the many ways I know I'm not called to Franciscan life! But beyond that, think about the variety of the Franciscan charism. Think about Archbishop Chaput, who's probably one of the more high-profile Franciscans in the States -- he has an opportunity to influence so many souls, and to help a very troubled diocese. He would not have had these opportunities if he'd never finished school. Not everyone's called to be a bishop, but then I bet he didn't think at age 18 that he'd better get his diploma because he might be a bishop someday.

It would be a very good thing if you could start seeing a spiritual director who could work at forming you, while you are young, to become a good and generous religious. I enjoy reading your posts, because you have a great desire to give yourself away. You are blessed!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='somethingfishy' timestamp='1326663418' post='2369645']
I just want to caution you slightly. Not to dampen your zeal, which is a good and holy thing, but to introduce another perspective for you to consider.

God wants us to develop and use the gifts he has given us, and the properly ordered development of those natural talents brings him glory. Of course it's not great to pursue a university education to bring praise upon yourself, or to do so in knowing opposition to the will of God. Not all are meant to go to university, but some are. And for those who are, it would be an obstacle to their vocation if they did not go.

To put it in more personal terms... I recently graduated from university, and I continue to study theology and literature (as well as write) in my free time. My study goes hand-in-hand with my prayer life -- they each enrich and strengthen the other. They seem to rise and fall together -- if I neglect one, the other suffers. So for me, study is not an option but a requirement. This is one of the many ways I know I'm not called to Franciscan life! But beyond that, think about the variety of the Franciscan charism. Think about Archbishop Chaput, who's probably one of the more high-profile Franciscans in the States -- he has an opportunity to influence so many souls, and to help a very troubled diocese. He would not have had these opportunities if he'd never finished school. Not everyone's called to be a bishop, but then I bet he didn't think at age 18 that he'd better get his diploma because he might be a bishop someday.

It would be a very good thing if you could start seeing a spiritual director who could work at forming you, while you are young, to become a good and generous religious. I enjoy reading your posts, because you have a great desire to give yourself away. You are blessed!
[/quote]

I'm not saying education is a bad thing. Far from it. Father David Mary himself said that education was a good thing for those that feel they are called to higher education (Such as a college). However, I don't think an extremely intelligent person should be denied from the Priesthood because he couldn't grasp algebra enough to pass.

I do have a Priest I'm seeing. I laugh now, because my mother told him when we were going to speak with each other for a while that she wanted him to explain to me why college is great, and he said something like "I don't blame him for not wanting to go to college." She obviously left me with the wrong Priest. :hehe2:

Blessed? I don't think so. I think I'm simply dealing with the reality of what God wants me to do. At first I pushed it away at all costs, but now I couldn't think of anything else except running for President, and seeing as how there's so much importance on whether or not you went to Harvard when running for president (Even though you don't even have to complete high school to run for president) I don't think I'm going to go that route.

Queen'sDaughter

These brothers are truly amazing men. I live close enough to see them often, and Father David Mary frequently says Mass at my college for the Catholic students. I truly believe that Father is a saint, and the community has been growing be leaps and bounds. Did any of you know that Father was at 9/11? [url="http://www.fortwayne.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110911/NEWS09/320106836"]http://www.fortwayne...EWS09/320106836[/url] Incredible!

Edited by Queen'sDaughter

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1326728463' post='2369966']
These brothers are truly amazing men. I live close enough to see them often, and Father David Mary frequently says Mass at my college for the Catholic students. I truly believe that Father is a saint, and the community has been growing be leaps and bounds. Did any of you know that Father was at 9/11? [url="http://www.fortwayne.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110911/NEWS09/320106836"]http://www.fortwayne...EWS09/320106836[/url] Incredible!
[/quote]

I did, but that's simply because I'm a loser and I've read a lot of their site. :P

Haha, no, you read most of their site because you are fascinated and interested in what they are doing!

They aren't using the original rule of St. Francis, of course. That would never get approved! They're using the constitutions of the original Capuchin reform, IIRC. So, still dates back to the 1500s and is remarkable...and of course is itself meant as a commentary on the original rule. But as a new community, they will have to continue the process to be approved as a religious order. They are currently a Pious Association of the Faithful, since they were only founded in Nov. 2009. As such...they're not 'officially' a religious order yet (though that is what they intend to grow into, of course!) I don't know if that will have any impact on whether or not men joining the community will be able to study for the priesthood.

I would be...VERY surprised...if they accepted a candidate for the priesthood who had not finished high school. I would expect him to be welcomed into the community as a brother. Studying for the priesthood involves academics; there's really no way around that. But of course, a particular situation can be discussed with the community; they seem very willing to be flexible and allow people to visit.

• 4 weeks later...

I just realized that it's been one year yesterday, February 11, since they and the Sisters were made public associations of the faithful! :dance: :bravo: