Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Changing Dynamic Of Phatmass


Recommended Posts

CatherineM
Posted

I agree the blue should go.

Posted

Maybe phatmass is different things to different people? It may have evolved, but then so have I over the past three years. I joined when I was first discerning religious life and spent most of my time in the Vocation Station. I found a lot of loving support when things didn't work out for me in one religious community after another, and very little negative judgment (there are always one or two in any group), so I was able to heal and move on again.

As an older member, I was never into a lot of the things that younger members enjoy, so perhaps I am not aware of any change in vibrancy or charism. I enjoy reading posts but don't really enjoy a lot of debate because it often leads to personal attacks or conflict (also usual in any group) and it takes too much time and energy. I am not sure that posting one's opinion ever really changes anyone else's opinion, but it can stimulate thought and provoke interest, so that's fine with me. I read more than I post these days.


I think phatmass is great, but perhaps the demographics have changed a little as some people leave and others arrive. I think this in itself can be a type of "open window" because with new people come new perspectives. As for missing some people who don't post here anymore - well, that's natural to miss old friends that one doesn't see or hear from any more. But people do change and grow apart in some ways, and those who choose not to come here anymore might have other things to do these days.


Sure, there are times when some threads seem to go on forever and around in circles, but the mods are pretty great about keeping an eye on things and making sure they don't get out of control. I think phatmass is one of the best moderated forums I have ever been on. And as I have cut back on online reading and posting prior to entering a convent again, I have to say that phatmass is so good that it is one of the few sites that I will continue to visit until I go offline. And if I am ever allowed online access in the convent, then I will certainly come back here again. I am grateful that this site exists.

Ephrem Augustine
Posted

The past two weeks, I admit, I just don't like it. I do not think anybody is willing to engage me in conversation, unless it means to "correct" me, or "knock down" my opinion. I have thought of leaving permanently for the last month.
Sorry to be straightforward, but thats just the way it is. Maybe I have never spent so much time on phatmass in my entire life as I have in the past year, and I realize it just isn't working for me anymore.
I did sign up for the Catholic rap, but there just isn't much going on there anymore.
Except for the threads on Lost, I suppose when that finishes I might not even be inclined to come here anymore.

Jesus_lol
Posted

to OP, i never thought i would hear a catholic arguing against a young growing population. :mellow:

we could keep the forum the way it was in 2005.


by population control
:mellow:



:P

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='07 May 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1273294537' post='2106733']
to OP, i never thought i would hear a catholic arguing against a young growing population. :mellow:

we could keep the forum the way it was in 2005.


by population control
:mellow:



:P
[/quote]
I think we should start with forced sterilization.

I have randomly selected a sample of young men from our members list whom I shall sterilize with my golf club. Nick, you randomly and completely by coincidence happen to be at the top of my list, so please step forward.

dominicansoul
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Ephrem Augustine' date='08 May 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1273294437' post='2106730']
The past two weeks, I admit, I just don't like it. I do not think anybody is willing to engage me in conversation, unless it means to "correct" me, or "knock down" my opinion. I have thought of leaving permanently for the last month.
Sorry to be straightforward, but thats just the way it is. Maybe I have never spent so much time on phatmass in my entire life as I have in the past year, and I realize it just isn't working for me anymore.
I did sign up for the Catholic rap, but there just isn't much going on there anymore.
Except for the threads on Lost, I suppose when that finishes I might not even be inclined to come here anymore.
[/quote]
don't let some of the immature members get you down...

...just say 'meh' and move on...

[size="1"]edit for spelling[/size]

Edited by dominicansoul
sacredheartandbloodofjesus
Posted

[b][u][i]Most[/i][/u][/b] the topics started here nowadays have been vain, boring or just plain stupid. I dont mean to offend anybody, Im just stating my observations. I usually check in to see the most recent threads and this is what I see. Once in a while I stumble upon some interesting or instructional threads but that is rarely the case. I would like it if theological discussions went on more often.

HisChildForever
Posted

The "solution" to many of the complaints here is simple. Stay out of the threads you don't like, and start threads you do like.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='07 May 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1273293042' post='2106704']
If anyone wants to restart the Fuzzy Bunny Crusade, I'll be the first in line to help out. :)
[/quote]
Bump just so that nobody misses this. :D I'd love to do some 'net evangelizing.

aalpha1989
Posted

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='08 May 2010 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1273295484' post='2106742']
[b][u][i]Most[/i][/u][/b] the topics started here nowadays have been vain, boring or just plain stupid. I dont mean to offend anybody, Im just stating my observations. I usually check in to see the most recent threads and this is what I see. Once in a while I stumble upon some interesting or instructional threads but that is rarely the case. I would like it if theological discussions went on more often.
[/quote]

Actually I think you have a point. I keep analyzing whether the internet is truly helpful... it may aid in my pride. *sigh*... Maybe I should meditate more seriously on it.

Maximilianus
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 May 2010 - 02:13 AM' timestamp='1273295600' post='2106744']
Bump just so that nobody misses this. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img] I'd love to do some 'net evangelizing.
[/quote]
There are a few FB still around, but it seems like they need a leader to raise the banner and rally the troops. That's all you.

Jesus_lol
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='07 May 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1273294651' post='2106735']
I think we should start with forced sterilization.

I have randomly selected a sample of young men from our members list whom I shall sterilize with my golf club. Nick, you randomly and completely by coincidence happen to be at the top of my list, so please step forward.
[/quote]

awww


i suppose we must set a good example...
:sadwalk:

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='07 May 2010 - 10:13 PM' timestamp='1273295584' post='2106743']
The "solution" to many of the complaints here is simple. Stay out of the threads you don't like, and start threads you do like.
[/quote]

How novel! :)

dominicansoul
Posted

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='08 May 2010 - 01:14 AM' timestamp='1273295676' post='2106745']
Actually I think you have a point. I keep analyzing whether the internet is truly helpful... it may aid in my pride. *sigh*... Maybe I should meditate more seriously on it.
[/quote]
so...maybe you should pray to St. Dominic to help you, because he would surely use the internet as an evangelization tool, and not one that would make us self-absorbed and self-grandizing... :))

CatherineM
Posted

I believe the Pope has said we should evangelize with the internet.

aalpha1989
Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='08 May 2010 - 01:23 AM' timestamp='1273296213' post='2106751']
so...maybe you should pray to St. Dominic to help you, because he would surely use the internet as an evangelization tool, and not one that would make us self-absorbed and self-grandizing... :))
[/quote]

:P Or I could follow my Father Juan de la Cruz and increasingly deny my worldly desires (i.e. show everyone the awesomeness of Wyoming) and actions, and sequester myself more and more in order to attain that intimate Union with the Divine...

aalpha1989
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' date='08 May 2010 - 01:27 AM' timestamp='1273296421' post='2106753']
I believe the Pope has said we should evangelize with the internet.
[/quote]

God does not call everyone to use the internet to evangelize... I actually see that many goods could come from abandoning it altogether.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Maximilianus' date='08 May 2010 - 12:22 AM' timestamp='1273296158' post='2106748']
There are a few FB still around, but it seems like they need a leader to raise the banner and rally the troops. That's all you.
[/quote]
Done. Except I don't know how it was run in the olden days. That locked subphorum disappeared a couple months after I joined.

I'll start a thread, whoever is interested hopefully will help out.

CatherineM
Posted

I promise to try to start at least one thread everyday.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus
Posted (edited)

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='08 May 2010 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1273296597' post='2106759']
God does not call everyone to use the internet to evangelize... I actually see that many goods could come from abandoning it altogether.
[/quote]

True that. I recently have had to subject myself to the detachment of watching the NBA and drinking coffee due to the teachings of St. John of the Cross. It has produced much fruit. When we kill [b]our[/b] will we can do the will of [b]God[/b]. Or when we cut off all [b]our[/b] attachments all we have left to attach to is [b]God[/b] Himself.

Edited by sacredheartandbloodofjesus
Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' date='08 May 2010 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1273296675' post='2106761']
I promise to try to start at least one thread everyday.
[/quote]
:lol:
Maybe one or two a week might be more realistic? :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...