Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Colloquialisms And Sayings


Recommended Posts

Marie-Therese
Posted

[quote name='WillT' date='11 May 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1273602143' post='2108745']
Actually, "Creek" should be capitalized as it's a propper name.

"Hotter than a 2 dollar pistol" was one I remember from growing up in Mississippi. My mom always used to say "I didn't fall off the turnip truck!" meaning "I wasn't born yesterday." etc.
[/quote]

Actually, creek is a small stream and is not proper unless you are referring to a specific creek. And proper is spelled with one 'p'. Just fyi. ;)

Vincent Vega
Posted

The etymology of the phrase, though, refers to the Creek Indian tribe.

:teach:

Marie-Therese
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='11 May 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1273609782' post='2108856']
The etymology of the phrase, though, refers to the Creek Indian tribe.

:teach:
[/quote]

:lol: Around here when they use that phrase they are referring to the actual body of water. As in, as long as God is willing and there is no physical impediment (i.e., flooding). Maybe we're all dolts. All of us are Cherokee around here. :)

laetitia crucis
Posted

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='11 May 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1273609980' post='2108861']
:lol: Around here when they use that phrase they are referring to the actual body of water. As in, as long as God is willing and there is no physical impediment (i.e., flooding). Maybe we're all dolts. All of us are Cherokee around here. :)
[/quote]

I've always heard of "creek" as an actual body of water. :lol: And I think a lot of us around her are also Cherokee. (Including myself -- even though I'm not a "native". :ninja: )

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='11 May 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1273609980' post='2108861']
:lol: Around here when they use that phrase they are referring to the actual body of water. As in, as long as God is willing and there is no physical impediment (i.e., flooding). Maybe we're all dolts. All of us are Cherokee around here. :)
[/quote]
Perhaps.
The phrase originated in north Georgia, by a man named Benjamin Hawkins, the liaison between the US Government and the Indian tribes of the South.
[quote]...the phrase would be correctly written as 'God willing and the Creek don't rise'. Hawkins, college-educated and a well-written man would never have made a grammatical error, so the capitalization of Creek is the only way the phrase could make sense. He wrote it in response to a request from the President to return to our Nation's Capital and the reference is not to a creek, but The Creek Indian Nation. If the Creek "rose", Hawkins would have to be present to quell the rebellion.[/quote]

Marie-Therese
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='11 May 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1273610893' post='2108879']
Perhaps.
The phrase originated in north Georgia, by a man named Benjamin Hawkins, the liaison between the US Government and the Indian tribes of the South.
[/quote]

Well thank you, good sir. I have learned something today. :yes:

Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='11 May 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1273610893' post='2108879']
Perhaps.
The phrase originated in north Georgia, by a man named Benjamin Hawkins, the liaison between the US Government and the Indian tribes of the South.
[/quote]
This is what I was talking about. The Indian tribe has always been what I've heard that the saying was about. And I'm part Cherokee too :huh:?

Posted

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='11 May 2010 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1273595330' post='2108680']
Another one would say, "Man alive!"
[/quote]
Our priest does that!
[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='11 May 2010 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1273595330' post='2108680']
"Cool beans" used to work for me, but now that feels foreign, too. So sad.
[/quote]
I use "chilled legumes." B)

From my grandfather: "Well, that ain't worth a fluffy air extraction in a sack."

I seem to recall something from him about skin on a grape, but only vaguely.

Terry Pratchett has caused me to use "Crivens!" as an exclamation, which is undoubtedly a colloquialism [i]somewhere[/i].

Maximilianus
Posted (edited)

Ah, NM

Edited by Maximilianus
Posted

"That's a lot of stew from one oyster." When someone is making conclusions that are unlikely in view of the evidence.

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='WillT' date='11 May 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1273602143' post='2108745']
Actually, "Creek" should be capitalized as it's a propper name.
[/quote]
I thought about that, but then wasn't sure if my uncle had been correct in telling me it was a reference to the Creek tribe.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='11 May 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1273609782' post='2108856']
The etymology of the phrase, though, refers to the Creek Indian tribe.

:teach:
[/quote]
Thanks. I now know my uncle was correct. :)

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='11 May 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1273600145' post='2108723']
"God willing and the creek don't rise"
[/quote]

Love it! I had forgotten about this one but now I intend to use it regularly!

Interesting, though, about "creek" referring to the Creek Indians. Anyone I've ever known to say it thought it was referring to a body of water. It's strange now, knowing that it really means something completely different than what you always thought it did! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif[/img]

Edited by CherieMadame
Paddington
Posted

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='10 May 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1273536774' post='2108365']I'm an avid "soda" promoter.
[/quote]

Word. :cool:

Posted

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='12 May 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1273662745' post='2109269']
I thought about that, but then wasn't sure if my uncle had been correct in telling me it was a reference to the Creek tribe.


Thanks. I now know my uncle was correct. :)
[/quote]
He sure was. I learned it in one of my Jr. High history classes when we were learning about various Indian tribes.


"A dime a dozen" is another one I remember groing up with.

Ed Normile
Posted

Well I will try to come up with a few, but be warned ,[b] I aint the sharpest tool in the shed[/b]. I guess it does not really matter if they are good ones or not, [b]kind of like sixes[/b], or [b]six of one and half a dozen of another[/b], it will not make much difference. I guess I should get started as you know when [b]You are feeling froggy, you better leap, you know, don't just sit on the fence.[/b]. This past winter it was [b]Colder than a mother-in-laws heart[/b]! I need to clean my work truck, I would like it to be [b]all Spic and Span[/b]. I guess that goes back to my chilhood when my mom used to kid me by saying, I needed a bath because[b] my ears were so dirty they have potato's growing in them[/b]. I would usually make a face as I did not want to bathe, so she would say [b]Stop making that face, or it may freeze that way[/b]. My dad always used them too, I wanted to call him and ask him a few but he is probably [b]fast asleep[/b], as[b] he is older than dirt[/b]. Then again there are the ones used to describe a wild young lady, like [b]she knows a little more than her prayers[/b]. That last one was meant to be a polite way to insult someone, you should always[b] kill them with kindness[/b]. Man [b]I am so hungry I could eat a horse ![/b] I seen this little girl today she was [b]cuter than a button[/b], she [b]had the map of Ireland on her face[/b]. Well afterall[b] its only human nature[/b]. When I was a kid I won a spelling bee, I was [b]as proud as punch[/b]. If you are well groomed you are as[b] neat as a pin[/b]. When somebody dies we say,[b] he is sleeping with the angels, or singing with them,[/b] another way to say it is[b] taking the eternal dirt nap,[/b] and when talking about a dead person always say[b] May heaven be his bed.[/b]. Always remember to [b]look before you leap[/b]! and remember [b]you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear[/b].


ed

laetitia crucis
Posted
:clapping:

Thanks, Ed!! Very well said! :lol:
Posted

To be sixes and sevens about something (i think that is English)

Something/someone is the bees knees.

laetitia crucis
Posted

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='13 May 2010 - 08:29 AM' timestamp='1273753782' post='2109844']
To be sixes and sevens about something (i think that is English)

[b]Something/someone is the bees knees.
[/b][/quote]

"Bees knees" is one I've wanted to add to my vocabulary for quite some time. :lol: However, I always connect it with Eddie Izzard.

Still might add it though.

I've never heard of being "sixes and sevens" about something. Is this along the same lines of being "dressed up to the nines"? :think:

rhetoricfemme
Posted

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='13 May 2010 - 08:39 AM' timestamp='1273754398' post='2109848']
"Bees knees" is one I've wanted to add to my vocabulary for quite some time. :lol: However, I always connect it with Eddie Izzard.

Still might add it though.

I've never heard of being "sixes and sevens" about something. Is this along the same lines of being "dressed up to the nines"? :think:
[/quote]
I'm covered in[i] bees[/i]!!! I love Eddie Izzard. :)

Rebecca2009
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' date='10 May 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1273534714' post='2108348']
Done throw'd his bit-(Went nuts)

Need to loosen your drawers -(relax, lighten up)
[/quote]

Another version of that is don't get your drawers in a bunch.
:lol:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...