Rebecca2009 Posted May 13, 2010 Posted May 13, 2010 [quote name='Ed Normile' date='12 May 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1273726520' post='2109768'] When somebody dies we say,[b] he is sleeping with the angels, or singing with them,[/b] another way to say it is[b] taking the eternal dirt nap,[/b] and when talking about a dead person always say[b] May heaven be his bed.[/b]. Always remember to [b]look before you leap[/b]! and remember [b]you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear[/b]. ed [/quote] or they could be sleeping with the fishes..... Bada bing, bada boom!
Rebecca2009 Posted May 13, 2010 Posted May 13, 2010 Around here, "wicked" is very popular. That's wicked cool, etc.
laetitia crucis Posted May 13, 2010 Author Posted May 13, 2010 [quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='13 May 2010 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1273768295' post='2109944'] I'm covered in[i] bees[/i]!!! I love Eddie Izzard. [/quote] Yeeeessss! Cake or death? Guns don't kill people -- people kill people! No! MONKEYS WITH GUNS KILL PEOPLE!
laetitia crucis Posted May 13, 2010 Author Posted May 13, 2010 [quote name='Rebecca2009' date='13 May 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1273769587' post='2109957'] Around here, "wicked" is very popular. That's wicked cool, etc. [/quote] When I lived in Brooklyn, I heard "wicked" and "mad" a lot. "Mad props!" "Wicked cool."
rhetoricfemme Posted May 13, 2010 Posted May 13, 2010 [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='13 May 2010 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1273772429' post='2110015'] Yeeeessss! Cake or death? Guns don't kill people -- people kill people! No! MONKEYS WITH GUNS KILL PEOPLE! [/quote] ::pause:: Do you have a flag???
laetitia crucis Posted May 13, 2010 Author Posted May 13, 2010 [quote name='rhetoricfemme' date='13 May 2010 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1273774376' post='2110033'] ::pause:: Do you have a flag??? [/quote] No flag, no country!
Rebecca2009 Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='13 May 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1273772580' post='2110019'] When I lived in Brooklyn, I heard "wicked" and "mad" a lot. "Mad props!" "Wicked cool." [/quote] Yeah, my son says "mad skills" a lot.
Didymus Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 Something that is near impossible to do is "like stretching a gnat's a-- over a barrel.." I love when someone confuses two colloquialisms, like "That fella ain't the brightest tool in the shed"
Jesus_lol Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 [quote name='Didymus' date='14 May 2010 - 06:20 AM' timestamp='1273843227' post='2110533'] Something that is near impossible to do is "like stretching a gnat's a-- over a barrel.." I love when someone confuses two colloquialisms, like "That fella ain't the brightest tool in the shed" [/quote] "Why dont you make like a tree, and get outta here!" "you are about as useful as a screendoor on a battleship"
Marie-Therese Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 [quote name='Rebecca2009' date='13 May 2010 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1273769074' post='2109951'] Another version of that is don't get your drawers in a bunch. [/quote] We say "don't get your knickers in a twist." [quote name='Jesus_lol' date='14 May 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1273855778' post='2110601'] "Why dont you make like a tree, and get outta here!" "you are about as useful as a screendoor on a battleship" [/quote] I've also heard "useful as a screen door on a submarine." My grandmother uses the word "dasted" as in like "darn" or "dang." In the summertime one of the things you hear her say most often is "that dasted fly," because of the houseflies that come in when the windows or door screens are up. She also likes to say "fiddlesticks." Another of her favorite expressions is "I'm gon' taper off." That means dipping just a little bite extra of food to finish off what's on your plate.
The Thurifer Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 My great aunt from southern Illinois had many unusual expressions of surprise, such as "[b]good granny grunt[/b]," "[b]good night nurse[/b]," and "[b]well all-beee![/b]" Some I've sometimes used include: [b]"Dumber than a sack of hammers,""He's not the brightest bulb on the tree,""Gotta bolt"[/b] (I have to leave quickly now), [b]"Colder than Hillary in Antarctica"[/b] (and not Sir Edmund), other colder-than expressions involving witches or well-diggers, [b]"That's the thing"[/b] (that's my point), [b]"He has the intellect of a fern,"[/b] and a few choice German expressions not fit for this forum.
Jesus_lol Posted May 15, 2010 Posted May 15, 2010 [quote name='Marie-Therese' date='14 May 2010 - 01:45 PM' timestamp='1273869936' post='2110731'] I've also heard "useful as a screen door on a submarine." [/quote] have you seen back to the future? the submarine is the correct one, the battleship one is the mangled version by this guy [img]http://neswsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/biff.jpg[/img]
Rebecca2009 Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 (edited) Hey McFly!!! "Gimme a Pepsi Free." "You want a Pepsi you're gonna have to pay for it!" I'm your density...I mean, your destiny. :-) Edited May 19, 2010 by Rebecca2009
Lilllabettt Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 "what's the sticky wicket?" (i.e, whats the hold up, what's the problem etc.) "Cool beans!" (i.e, i approve, okay, etc.) "He's all that and a bag of chips!" "He's happy as Larry."
Archaeology cat Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 My grandfather said "dadgummit" a lot [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='13 May 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1273778200' post='2110059'] No flag, no country! [/quote] It's the rule I just made up.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now