Jesus_lol Posted May 13, 2010 Posted May 13, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='13 May 2010 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1273770528' post='2109979'] Not sure how to take this. [/quote] i just thought it was kinda funny? no harm intended.
Jesus_lol Posted May 13, 2010 Posted May 13, 2010 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='13 May 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1273773714' post='2110027'] UGH I have to go to work later. [/quote] yeah me too, i have to go to [s]work [/s]the lake later.
SaintOfVirtue Posted May 14, 2010 Posted May 14, 2010 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='12 May 2010 - 06:55 PM' timestamp='1273715710' post='2109675'] How scary is this? Glad she got called out. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fSvyv0urTE&feature=player_embedded[/media] [/quote] I'm still not seeing how this religion can be considered violent.
mortify Posted May 14, 2010 Author Posted May 14, 2010 [quote name='Ed Normile' date='13 May 2010 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1273727850' post='2109787'] I am going to comment on this without having watched the video in question, the reason is it sounds like a mockery of anothers faith intended to bring attention and fame to the author, what a cheap way to get noticed. Are there any of you here who feel it is right to mock anothers beliefs? I am no fan of Islam or its radical practitioners, but to create something just to either infuriate them or belittle them is just plain juvenile. One thing is certain it was not created to either prostelyze them or try and reach them, it seems a cheap shot leveled in a cowardly way. [/quote] The artist's intent was to defend free speech.
jeffpugh Posted May 15, 2010 Posted May 15, 2010 [quote name='toledo_jesus' date='13 May 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1273723533' post='2109745'] That's not a virtue in this instance. She's a jihadi pig, and a melodramatic one at that. [/quote] Fair enough. So... what are women awarded in heaven when they give up their life for Allah?
Jesus_lol Posted May 15, 2010 Posted May 15, 2010 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='14 May 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1273903056' post='2111022'] Fair enough. So... what are women awarded in heaven when they give up their life for Allah? [/quote] 73 world of warcraft players.
ThePenciledOne Posted May 15, 2010 Posted May 15, 2010 [quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 May 2010 - 03:24 AM' timestamp='1273904659' post='2111025'] 73 world of warcraft players. [/quote] FTW!!!!
Ed Normile Posted May 15, 2010 Posted May 15, 2010 [quote name='mortify' date='13 May 2010 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1273809484' post='2110369'] The artist's intent was to defend free speech. [/quote] Really, I remember an artist? Andres Serrano who in 1987 immersed a crucifix in his urine and photographed it, his excuse was defending free speech and freedom of expression. I am sure there are other avenues this can be accomplished in. I guess most people do not realize that although you have the right to free speech here in America, many countries have no such right, and even here you can say anything you want but you are not free from the repercussions your free speech may incur. He was awarded a grant from the National Foundation for the Arts and Humanities, along with porno artist? Robert Maplethorpe and Karen Finley, a performance artist? which led to their works being denounced on the floor of the U.S.senate and led to the abolition of grants to private artists, way to go guys. ed
Nihil Obstat Posted May 15, 2010 Posted May 15, 2010 Kierkegaard said " Having refused to use their freedom of thought, men claim freedom of speech as compensation."
mortify Posted May 16, 2010 Author Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='Ed Normile' date='15 May 2010 - 02:48 AM' timestamp='1273906085' post='2111031'] Really, I remember an artist? Andres Serrano who in 1987 immersed a crucifix in his urine and photographed it, his excuse was defending free speech and freedom of expression. I am sure there are other avenues this can be accomplished in. I guess most people do not realize that although you have the right to free speech here in America, many countries have no such right, and even here you can say anything you want but you are not free from the repercussions your free speech may incur. He was awarded a grant from the National Foundation for the Arts and Humanities, along with porno artist? Robert Maplethorpe and Karen Finley, a performance artist? which led to their works being denounced on the floor of the U.S.senate and led to the abolition of grants to private artists, way to go guys. [/quote] I don't defend Serrano, but I don't see a point in bringing him up other than demonstrating free speech has been used to mock our own faith. A stark difference is outlined of course, as Christians did not rally to murder Serrano. But when I said the Swedish artist's intent was to defend free speech, it's based on what he said himself, since in the West it's become ok to mock Christianity and other faiths, but not Islam.
ThePenciledOne Posted May 16, 2010 Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='mortify' date='16 May 2010 - 02:52 AM' timestamp='1273989127' post='2111339'] I don't defend Serrano, but I don't see a point in bringing him up other than demonstrating free speech has been used to mock our own faith. A stark difference is outlined of course, as Christians did not rally to murder Serrano. But when I said the Swedish artist's intent was to defend free speech, it's based on what he said himself, since in the West it's become ok to mock Christianity and other faiths, but not Islam. [/quote] Or, maybe it can also be looked at that the Muslims just put their foot down. I don't advocate their violence, but it can be looked at the fact that they won't tolerate their beloved figure mocked.
organwerke Posted May 16, 2010 Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='CatholicWing' date='12 May 2010 - 04:15 AM' timestamp='1273630521' post='2109146'] Huhh......... look at here in these videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wybPdG7gy-I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Je6wed1-7o&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7U5H6rdgc4 I have no word to explain............. [/quote] I have no words too! But I see that I am not the only one, and others didn't have any word for this. Honestly sometimes I get the impression that these threads are only intended to do a self-celebrating politically correct discussion.
Sternhauser Posted May 16, 2010 Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='Ed Normile' date='15 May 2010 - 01:48 AM' timestamp='1273906085' post='2111031'] Really, I remember an artist? Andres Serrano who in 1987 immersed a crucifix in his urine and photographed it, his excuse was defending free speech and freedom of expression. I am sure there are other avenues this can be accomplished in. I guess most people do not realize that although you have the right to free speech here in America, many countries have no such right, and even here you can say anything you want but you are not free from the repercussions your free speech may incur. He was awarded a grant from the National Foundation for the Arts and Humanities, along with porno artist? Robert Maplethorpe and Karen Finley, a performance artist? which led to their works being denounced on the floor of the U.S.senate and led to the abolition of grants to private artists, way to go guys. ed [/quote] Good. Then they're at liberty to pursue their tasteless "art" on their [i]own[/i] dime. I see no problem with that. Same with other "artists," real and otherwise. They want funding? They should do it the old fashioned way: find a wealthy patron. Because shaking down a taxpayer ain't morally the same thing as a being funded by a willing patron. ~Sternhauser
Winchester Posted May 16, 2010 Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='16 May 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1274021097' post='2111412'] Good. Then they're at liberty to pursue their tasteless "art" on their [i]own[/i] dime. I see no problem with that. Same with other "artists," real and otherwise. They want funding? They should do it the old fashioned way: find a wealthy patron. Because shaking down a taxpayer ain't morally the same thing as a being funded by a willing patron. ~Sternhauser [/quote] The anarchist is right. It's not the job of the government to fund art.
Sternhauser Posted May 16, 2010 Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='Winchester' date='16 May 2010 - 09:54 AM' timestamp='1274021644' post='2111413'] The anarchist is right. It's not the job of the government to fund art. [/quote] In earlier years, I once participated in a State-funded art project, Winchester. A young, long-haired, bearded, granola-crunching, gun-loving hippie showed up to my shooting range with a large stack of thin sheets of metal, and proceeded to set them up. He told me that he already had the venue for his project. In Boston, if I remember correctly. It involved turning the sheet metal into tunnels/domes, filling them with fog, then shining bright lights through the bullet holes. The people would crawl through the tunnels to the sound of gunshots and American Indian drums and chanting played on speakers. I unloaded some buckshot and rifle rounds into those sheets. At his behest, of course. ~Sternhauser
Winchester Posted May 16, 2010 Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='16 May 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1274022245' post='2111419'] In earlier years, I once participated in a State-funded art project, Winchester. A young, long-haired, bearded, granola-crunching, gun-loving hippie showed up to my shooting range with a large stack of thin sheets of metal, and proceeded to set them up. He told me that he already had the venue for his project. In Boston, if I remember correctly. It involved turning the sheet metal into tunnels/domes, filling them with fog, then shining bright lights through the bullet holes. The people would crawl through the tunnels to the sound of gunshots and American Indian drums and chanting played on speakers. I unloaded some buckshot and rifle rounds into those sheets. At his behest, of course. ~Sternhauser [/quote] I don't mean to say that the government must never purchase art, or seek to have its architecture be artful.
Sternhauser Posted May 16, 2010 Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='Winchester' date='16 May 2010 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1274023392' post='2111427'] I don't mean to say that the government must never purchase art, or seek to have its architecture be artful. [/quote] Like the Athenian, er, D.C. Temple of Lincoln, where a larger-than life statute of Great Leader rests his unifying hands on fasces? Which reminds me. Have you brought your offerings of fat wrapped with wool, recently? ~Sternhauser
Winchester Posted May 16, 2010 Posted May 16, 2010 [quote name='Sternhauser' date='16 May 2010 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1274023631' post='2111429'] Like the Athenian, er, D.C. Temple of Lincoln, where a larger-than life statute of Great Leader rests his unifying hands on fasces? Which reminds me. Have you brought your offerings of fat wrapped with wool, recently? ~Sternhauser [/quote] Yes. Just like those. I suppose you prefer commie lego work.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now