Nunsense Posted May 18, 2010 Posted May 18, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='18 May 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1274145272' post='2112386'] Nunsense--I'm sorry I disappointed you. I like you so much that I regret doing that. Some of the posts were starting to get a little more serious. But, I should have expected that and was stupid to start the thread in the first place. Converting to Catholicism is a sore point for me. Because, in many ways I want to convert, but I can't. So, I've got all these conflicting emotions inside me, and it doesn't take much to set them off. Plus, because I had my Social Security doctor's appt today, I'm stressed, tired, and in pain. I started the thread in good humor, too, and then something just went wrong. It was no one in particular. Please forgive me. I'm very embarrassed. [/quote] You are probably in bed by now since it is evening here in Melbourne. I am sorry about your health problems - that can always color one's perceptions of things, and perhaps some of the posts didn't seem quite as funny as they would have if you were feeling better. I will keep you in my prayers. I didn't mean to come down hard on you - I was just surprised at your reaction, but I can see now why things might seem so serious to you. I was going to say that God is seducing you, but I am not trying to convert you by this statement. I was just thinking of it more in terms of Jeremiah being so upset because God kept calling him, and this caused problems between Jeremiah and his family.... the story of anyone who tries to follow God, I think. I know that I am certainly the odd one out in my agnostic family, although most of the time they are all pretty decent about it to my face at any rate. I am sure they think that I have 'sold out' to religion which most of them consider to be the opiate of the masses, but no one is really critical to me in person, so I can thank God for that small mercy. Thinking you might want to convert but being unable to do so, for whatever reason, must be something that tears you apart inside, so you are doubly in my prayers dear sister. You are already very close to Our Lord, it is quite apparent, and your presence here as part of our phorum phamily is greatly appreciated. If any of us do come across too strong sometimes in the conversion department, it is probably only because we have come to love you a lot and want to share our joy with you, not because we see you as inferior in any way. Thank you for being you and for being here with us.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted May 18, 2010 Author Posted May 18, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='18 May 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1274162396' post='2112642'] Lawl Pope Rural!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] I just caught that. You rock. [/quote] Well, I had to make up a fake name, and I figured that if there can be a Pope Urban, why not a Pope Rural? Thank-you for the compliment. I'm very proud of myself that I knew there was at least one Pope Urban without even looking it up. (I won't pretend that I know very much about the names of Popes, but I knew that one.) I also had heard of the Arian heresy, but don't ask me to explain what it is. I'll read the program notes at the first priest wrestling match. Edited May 18, 2010 by IgnatiusofLoyola
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted May 18, 2010 Author Posted May 18, 2010 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='18 May 2010 - 12:55 AM' timestamp='1274162118' post='2112639'] I think we should start it off easy- orthodox (small o) versus liberals. I'm thinking Cardinal Arinze versus Hans Kung to start things off. IN THE ORTHODOX CORNER, HAILING FROM NIGERIA, THE INDOMITABLE FRANCIS CARDINAL ARINZE!!! [img]http://www.thomasaquinas.edu/assets/images/news/newsletters/2004/summer/arinze.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.thomasmorecollege.edu/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/arinze-mass-031.gif[/img] AND IN THE LAME- I MEAN LIBERAL- NO NOT REALLY I MEAN LAME- CORNER, HANS KUNG. (Boo, hiss) [img]http://fratres.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/hans_kueng_dw_kultu_455388a.jpg[/img] YES, HE'S REALLY A PRIEST. (MAJOR FACEPALLLLLMMMMMMMMM~!!!!!!!) [img]http://nihilobstat.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pope.jpg[/img] [/quote] How could anyone NOT like Francis Cardinal Arinze? He is the ultimate in cool. I just love to hear him speak. (To put in a brief plug for the Anglicans, Archbishop Desmond Tutu is also very cool and speaks very well.) I don't know anything about Hans Kung, nor do I really want to. But, I predict Cardinal Arinze could take him in one round. Did you notice that Cardinal Arinze is already "suited up" for the match in his red biretta (and CAPE!!!). I looked at Cardinal Arinze's vestments in the second picture, and I thought at first, "He's not only cool, but he has cool vestments." But, sadly, his mitre is a fashion "faux pas." That's the trouble with having nuns taking care of Cardinals--depending on how long they have been nuns, they may have lost their fashion sense. As for Pope Benedict, one thing I really like about him is that he has such wonderful facial expressions. When they first announced him as the next Pope, I thought he would be a cold, dry German academic. But, he has shown himself to be very human (at least in his facial expressions), which I personally think is an excellent trait in a Pope.
Nihil Obstat Posted May 18, 2010 Posted May 18, 2010 Lawl, yea, that's a lame mitre. Lucky for us the orthodox or traditionalists wear birettas in the ring. Hans Kung can wear a Castro hat or something.
Vincent Vega Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='17 May 2010 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1274143660' post='2112369'] How can I say this nicely? Back off, please. I meant this thread to be a joke, something silly. But, I shouldn't have started it. I have shown respect for your faith. Please have enough faith in me and my relationship with God that we'll work things out in whatever time it takes. It's not going to happen anytime soon--it just isn't. [/quote] Yeah. They haven't got me yet. OH WAIT! OH NOOO! THEY HAVE GOT ME! AHHH! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!?
Ed Normile Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 Man the only advice I can give you about being surrounded by catholics is, watch your wallet! you may end up with a St Benedict medal stuck in there. ed
IgnatiusOfAntioch Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='17 May 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1274125188' post='2112028'] I'm surrounded by Catholics. I look out my front window, I see nuns. Catholics have taken over my computer. I find myself looking at rosaries on the Internet.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img] Is it a conspiracy? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smokey.gif[/img] Or am I having hallucinations? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif[/img] [/quote] Come into the light!
Bennn Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusOfAntioch' date='19 May 2010 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1274266906' post='2113521'] Come into the light! [/quote] You too have similar names. Now we have an IgnatiusofLoyola and an IgnatiusofAntioch on the forum.
vee Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='Ed Normile' date='19 May 2010 - 01:55 AM' timestamp='1274252158' post='2113495'] Man the only advice I can give you about being surrounded by catholics is, watch your wallet! you may end up with a St Benedict medal stuck in there. ed [/quote] Since she lives across the street from a convent I wouldn't be surprised if one of the sisters planted a sacramental somewhere on the property
laetitia crucis Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 I have been known to plant Miraculous Medals and Green Scapulars in inconspicuous places.
vee Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 May 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1274277617' post='2113578'] I have been known to plant Miraculous Medals and Green Scapulars in inconspicuous places. [/quote] I must confess to being more insidious. I have a small outside pocket on my purse that I fill with blessed salt and everywhere I walk I take a pinch, slowly sprinkle it, and and pray for all those who come in contact with it, that each grain represents a soul I don't know if it's ok to do that or not, as Fr Corapi says " I've always had more zeal than brains" but if others want to join in...
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted May 19, 2010 Author Posted May 19, 2010 [quote name='Ed Normile' date='19 May 2010 - 01:55 AM' timestamp='1274252158' post='2113495'] Man the only advice I can give you about being surrounded by catholics is, watch your wallet! you may end up with a St Benedict medal stuck in there. ed [/quote] [quote name='vee8' date='19 May 2010 - 08:55 AM' timestamp='1274277322' post='2113576'] Since she lives across the street from a convent I wouldn't be surprised if one of the sisters planted a sacramental somewhere on the property [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif[/img] [/quote] [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 May 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1274277617' post='2113578'] I have been known to plant Miraculous Medals and Green Scapulars in inconspicuous places. [/quote] Hmm, that explains a lot. Every time I wash my jeans, there's a clanking sound, as if I'd left a coin in my back pocket. When I go to pick it up, I can't see what it is because my basement is dark. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img] And Sister Helen comes by my house every day to feed the squirrels and birds. Who knows what insidious things she's done? Everyone knows you can't trust a Sister who is 80 and about 4'11". That's why they wear black. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif[/img] The men who cut my lawn have never told me anything about finding things, but then again, they're Mexican, which means they're Catholic, so they're probably hiding things in my yard, too. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_chin.gif[/img] You guys will stop at nothing!!!!![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/evil.gif[/img] Naw, I'm just [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif[/img]
Bennn Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 Nope, you're not paranoid. We really do things like that. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif[/img] *drops a Rosary in Ignatius' purse while she isn't watching* [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img] Somehow I don't think you are scrupulous about asking Mary's intercession, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's because of the Catholic quotes in your sig, lol.
IgnatiusofLoyola Posted May 19, 2010 Author Posted May 19, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Bennn' date='19 May 2010 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1274281114' post='2113593'] Nope, you're not paranoid. We really do things like that. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif[/img] *drops a Rosary in Ignatius' purse while she isn't watching* [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img] Somehow I don't think you are scrupulous about asking Mary's intercession, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's because of the Catholic quotes in your sig, lol. [/quote] Hah, Bennn, you've never looked in my huge, messy, purse. That rosary is history, or I'll find it in my glasses case or wrapped around a Kleenex. I carry everything with me, but when I need it, I can't find it. I think I've discovered a new black hole. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img] As for praying to Mary, I admit, it doesn't come naturally to me. But, although some high Anglican churches have Mary chapels, and certainly don't have anything against praying to Mary, it's not an important part of their theology. So, it doesn't seem negative, just unfamiliar, and nothing I've really done much before. Edited May 19, 2010 by IgnatiusofLoyola
Bennn Posted May 19, 2010 Posted May 19, 2010 I remember that I was, at first, a bit reluctant to pray the Rosary during my conversion process. But as soon as I tried it, it was an amazing experience and I lost my heart to my heavenly Mama!
Nunsense Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='20 May 2010 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1274282494' post='2113607'] As for praying to Mary, I admit, it doesn't come naturally to me. But, although some high Anglican churches have Mary chapels, and certainly don't have anything against praying to Mary, it's not an important part of their theology. So, it doesn't seem negative, just unfamiliar, and nothing I've really done much before. [/quote] [img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/book/220px-Chesterfield_Spire.jpg[/img] I never knew about the Anglican devotion to Mary until I lived in England. A friend took me to the parish church in Chesterfield because it is a popular tourist spot (see the crooked spire). From the moment I stepped inside, I thought I was in a Catholic church because it had a Lady Chapel and a side Chapel for the Blessed Sacrament! The gift shop sold Rosaries and the Mass liturgy read like a Catholic one. I had never been in a high Anglican church before and it showed me just how close the Anglicans and Catholic can be. It made me pray more than ever for Anglican and Catholics to be reunited. BTW - this spire is said to have been caused by the devil [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] but here is the wikipedia article about it... [quote] from Wikipedia: The spire is both twisted and leaning, twisting 45 degrees and leaning 9 feet 6 inches (2.90 m) from its true centre. The leaning characteristic is believed to be the result of the absence of skilled craftsmen (the Black Death had been gone only twelve years prior to the spire's completion), insufficient cross-bracing, and the use of unseasoned timber. There have been other explanations. One is that the spire was so shocked to learn of the marriage of a virgin in the church that it bent down to get a closer look. Should this happen again, it is said that the spire will straighten and return to its true position. Another is that a Bolsover blacksmith mis-shoed the Devil, who leaped over the spire in pain, knocking it out of shape. The Twist is considered an orginial design of the spire.[sup][size="2"][color="#0645ad"][3][/color][/size][/sup] It is this famous twisted spire that gives [color="#0645ad"]Chesterfield FC[/color] their nickname, 'The Spireites'.[/quote]
Vincent Vega Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 " There have been other explanations. One is that the spire was so shocked to learn of the marriage of a virgin in the church that it bent down to get a closer look. Should this happen again, it is said that the spire will straighten and return to its true position."
zunshynn Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 May 2010 - 08:00 AM' timestamp='1274277617' post='2113578'] I have been known to plant Miraculous Medals and Green Scapulars in inconspicuous places. [/quote] When I was an extern and had extra holy cards on me I would sometimes stick them in the pockets of clothes and in the pages of magazines at the store.
laetitia crucis Posted May 20, 2010 Posted May 20, 2010 [quote name='zunshynn' date='20 May 2010 - 03:17 AM' timestamp='1274339866' post='2114066'] When I was an extern and had extra holy cards on me I would sometimes stick them in the pockets of clothes and in the pages of magazines at the store. [/quote] These are AWESOME ideas!!!! It never would have occurred to me to do either of those... [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/excellent-frog.jpg[/IMG]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now