Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Your Favorite Church Music?


What is your favorite Church music?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='29 May 2010 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1275155940' post='2120224']
This is so much epic win I can't even describe it. ^_^ Do you know of any other good examples of that style?
[/quote]

It's a reconstructionalist version of the chant sung by the Knights Templar by the sacred music group Ensemble Organum. You can buy the full CD "Chant Des Templiers" [url="http://www.amazon.com/Chant-Templiers-Ensemble-Organum-Peres/dp/B000H7ZZYC"]here[/url]. I think it's important to note that we do not know exactly [i]how[/i] the chant from that era was sung, and I have heard the criticism that their style is more Eastern-influenced than the actual historical chant would have been.

Edited by Resurrexi
Posted

I love Gregorian Chants and others. So beautiful.

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='25 May 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1274808065' post='2117294']
JMJ
isn't USAirways latin mass? cuz he voted modern?
[/quote]
Please answer in the form of a question.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='29 May 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1275156301' post='2120226']
It's a reconstructionalist version of the chant sung by the Knights Templar by the sacred music group Ensemble Organum. You can buy the full CD "Chant Des Templiers" [url="http://www.amazon.com/Chant-Templiers-Ensemble-Organum-Peres/dp/B000H7ZZYC"]here[/url]. I think it's important to note that we do not know exactly [i]how[/i] the chant from that era was sung, and I have heard the criticism that their style is more Eastern-influenced than the actual historical chant would have been.
[/quote]
By which methods did Ensemble Organum attempt to replicate the original music?

Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='29 May 2010 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1275165288' post='2120290']
By which methods did Ensemble Organum attempt to replicate the original music?
[/quote]

I know that their music is based on old manuscripts, but, even then, one really just has the notes without the knowledge of the style used to sing the notes. As I said, I have heard criticisms of Ensemble Organum's very Eastern style. Also, I have seen reconstructions of the same sorts of chants done by other scholarly groups whose interpretations sound much more like Gregorian Chant. That said, no attempt to replicate music from 1000 (or sometimes even more) year ago is going to be completely correct. I do not necessarily have an opinion about which style is more valid, since both interpretations seem to have equal scholarly weight behind them.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

Cool. Thanks for commenting.

No matter how historically accurate it may or may not be, I love that song regardless. :D

Posted

[quote name='Bennn' date='27 May 2010 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1274964805' post='2119041']
[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXNKDVs8Sw"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pEXNKDVs8Sw[/url][/media]

Latin Chant with Eastern influences. I luvs it.

+Pax Domini,
Ben
[/quote]
Not really that eastern, actually. The reconstruction of this piece is pretty medieval in general.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='29 May 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1275156301' post='2120226']
It's a reconstructionalist version of the chant sung by the Knights Templar by the sacred music group Ensemble Organum. You can buy the full CD "Chant Des Templiers" [url="http://www.amazon.com/Chant-Templiers-Ensemble-Organum-Peres/dp/B000H7ZZYC"]here[/url]. I think it's important to note that we do not know exactly [i]how[/i] the chant from that era was sung, and I have heard the criticism that their style is more Eastern-influenced than the actual historical chant would have been.
[/quote]
Thanks for the link.

Posted

Gregorian Chants are the most beautiful of all Church music IMHO[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...