An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medjugorje

the_rev

popestpiusx

[quote name='Enda' date='Apr 16 2004, 05:39 PM'] I've read alot of quotes indicating otherwise, like, "If i weren't the Pope, I'd be in Medjugorje already." and "Our Lady of Medjugorje will save America!". [/quote]
These are fabricated. Rome has debunked these claims. Ratzinger and Gagnon both said they were not true. Also, think about it. Why would the Pope say "If I wasn't pope I would go..." What's to stop him. If he belives them, he is perfectly free to say so and visit anytime he chooses. He could singlehandedly approve the apparitions if he was so inclined. The quote makes no sense.

popestpiusx

Here is a link to one of the best compilations of information into a single book:

[url="http://www.mdaviesonmedj.com"]http://www.mdaviesonmedj.com[/url]

popestpiusx

Here's another but this one is just article, is not as good, and the guy says some occasional stupid things (like his comments about Mother Angelica).

[url="http://www.unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/BrianF.html"]http://www.unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/BrianF.html[/url]

May I ask you, If Mary was appearing there, and you are denying these apparations, what will your mother Mary think?

master_alterserver

[quote name='CatholicCrusader' date='Apr 14 2004, 03:09 PM'] I don't know if it is true or not if the Church must wait until the apparitions end, but the Church has ALREADY condemned Medjugorje because of its heretical teaching (attributing to Our Lady that she said "My Son loves all religions equally" and other ridiculous statements). Medjugorje has been condemned by the local Ordinary (Bishop) as well as by the Pope. No one should partake in the false apparitions. Further, the Church may wait until the end of the apparitions because they are always very few, 6, 8, 9, never some "20,000" "appratitions" now claimed by Medjugorje.

God bless. [/quote]
This is indeed false. The Catholic church has not condemned or afiirmed these apparitions. For right now, the lay faithful are encouraged to "read-up" and make their own decision on what they beieve until the church decides herself.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='the_rev' date='Apr 22 2004, 07:58 PM']May I ask you, If Mary was appearing there, and you are denying these apparations, what will your mother Mary  think?[/quote]
I didn't know it was a necessary part of our Faith to believe in any Marian apparition. Also, what would she think? I seriously doubt Mary would be upset that I didn't believe in an apparition that wasn't supported by Mother Church.

Besides, I've read some articles criticizing the validity of Medjugorje and they raise some interesting questions. Besides the Unity Publishing website (which may go a little over the deep end...), [url="http://www.catholicapologetics.info/medjugo.html"]this article is interesting.[/url]

I believe that even if Mary were upset, and these apparitions were true, I would not be in any real danger because The Holy Catholic Church has not supported these apparitions, which are very, very different from Lourdes, Fatima, Guadalupe, and the others.

What do you think?

False? I think not? My Godmother went there and brought me back pics-she was 87 and the pics had crosses in the sky and such stuff as that-she is too old to doctor photos. Also the rosary she took of mine there-she brought it back-it turned GOLD-now explain how all that could be possible if this was some fraud setup apparition?

Yes, I've heard of many miraculous things that happened at Medjugorje. I used to be involved in a youth group that was hardcore about the place. I read a book about it... i forget what it was called, but it was the one by the Lutheran guy who believes in medjugorje and has been there many times.

Look, it's entirely possible that it is true. However, just because weird things (crosses in the air, visions, gold rosaries, etc.) happen doesn't mean that it's a miracle from God. Don't you think it's possible that other beings might be at work here? Remember, Satan was called Lucifer, which means "light-bearer". Wouldn't Satan try to seduce us looking his best, clothed in light and beautiful? Why would he show us his true form, that of a fallen angel?

How do you know that those rosaries are gold? I certainly don't think your godmother doctored photographs, but this Medjugorje place is mighty strange. If some things that the apparition says are against the Church, it's probably not a real apparition.

Look up the Bayside shrine/apparitions.

But, before I finish, let me say that I could be wrong. Maybe Mary has appeared to these Bosnian children.

Isn't it written that in the endtimes the Antichrist and false prophets will perform signs for the people and that they will be believed? Some things may be closer to "magic tricks" than miracles.

Edited by Antonius

Good points-but if all her trip to that site did was bring her closer to God-how would that be the devil's work?

Now you have brought up a good point.

If she has indeed become closer to God, then that's wonderful! But, what seems to happen is that some people travel back to medjugorje many times, spending lots of money. They become miracle chasers, which is actually hurtful to our faith. Some people become addicted to these supernatural things, and lose track of what is actually important. (Your godmother might not be one of those people.)

A miracle happens at every Mass. Normal bread and wine are turned into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ Himself.

I am glad that your godmother has become closer to God, but I pray that she does not become a miracle chaser.

• 2 weeks later...

People can continue to tell me that it isn't real, but I will still believe in it, as my hopes of attending next year are coming more true each day!