An Old School Catholic Message Board

Promiscuity And Advertising

fides quarens intellectum

[spoiler] the one on their website is a cropped version of the approximately 4' x 6' ad in their store (which, unfortunately, shows the rest of her body). [/spoiler]

Edited by fides quarens intellectum

dominicansoul

for the best lotion in the world check out the Summit Dominican Nuns products:

http://nunsopsummit.org/shop/

they have soaps, lotions, lip balms, all made by their hands!!!

(...and they don't have any posters of naked women over their cash registers....instead, they have a badly scourged Man hanging on a cross looking over them as they make and bake the soaps and lotions...)

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='25 May 2010 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1274819533' post='2117472']

(...and they don't have any posters of naked women over their cash registers....instead, they have a badly scourged Man hanging on a cross looking over them as they make and bake the soaps and lotions...)
[/quote]

You so rock.

MissScripture

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='25 May 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1274806735' post='2117278']
I hate going to the mall and avoid it at all costs... even though I really need to get new glasses...
[/quote]
But if you keep the old glasses, you won't have to see the advertisments.

[quote name='MissyP89' date='25 May 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1274812243' post='2117339']
The smelly girly lotion is obviously not smell enough, so they use the naked women to compensate for their failure.
[/quote]
I find it too smelly! I couldn't last more than 5 minutes in one of those stores without feeling sick, because the smell is so strong. Now it's smelly for two reasons. :hehehe:

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='25 May 2010 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1274819533' post='2117472']

[/quote]
Nifty! And then you know the money is going to somewhere decent, too!

Edited by MissScripture

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='25 May 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1274806735' post='2117278']
I hate going to the mall and avoid it at all costs... even though I really need to get new glasses...
[/quote]

I feel the same way, and I REALLY need new glasses. I KNOW my prescription has changed, but I hate the mall. I may try For Eyes next time. It's not the closest, but their glasses are cheaper, and while they are in a mall, it's a large strip (pardon the pun) mall, where you park just outside the store and don't have to walk by the other stores.

I can't STAND the smell in the "ladies stuff" store. I buy almost everthing from catalogs, but that company's catalog is like reading Playboy--it's embarrassing when it comes in the mail, so I asked to be taken off their mailing list. It's too bad, because some of their products are good. And, as a heterosexual female, the images in the catalog don't "do" anything for me.

I've found other lotions that I like in other places. And, I can't remember the last time I bought shoes in a mall.

I've been wanting to try the stuff from the Summit nuns in NJ (and the prices are quite reasonable considering what you're getting)--so your positive recommendation helps.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Catholic Fox

Sorta off-topic, but I receive very good eyecare at Wal-Mart, and there's no naked ladies.

there was a barenaked ladies concert in Idaho a few days back...

Sorta...on topic...in a way... :mellow:

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Selah' date='25 May 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1274830394' post='2117670']

[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Catholic Fox

[quote name='Selah' date='25 May 2010 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1274830394' post='2117670']

[/quote]

Now I have [i]One Week[/i] stuck in my head.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRiF_THZTYI[/media]

tinytherese

There's also plenty of sexual advertising in t.v. commercials too. What sex has to do with cleaning products and Jimmy John sandwitches I don't know. :mellow: Has anyone noticed that The Muppets are getting more sexual references in their newer movies like that one where they did an updated version of The Wizard of Oz. It is a children's movie for heaven's sake. :rolleyes:

Pushing the envelope is what many in the ad biz think they are doing when they resort to sex filled displays. It is a bright light for attention and sadly CMO's and Ad Agencies use it to sell. It isn't art it is a sales tool. Not sure what store you are talking about, but anything targeted at age 13-44 does it.

All old cartoons had plenty of that, even the old Mickey Mouse stuff. It went straight over the kids heads and the parents were able to partake in the humor. Bugs Bunny was not meant for kids nor was Betty Boop or Popeye.

Back to sex jokes in ads, it is lazy thinking by the agency to get a rise, it does not sustain the sell at all and eventually is replaced with a proper campaign and in many cases the agency is replaced as well.

[quote name='tinytherese' date='25 May 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1274830958' post='2117680']
There's also plenty of sexual advertising in t.v. commercials too. What sex has to do with cleaning products and Jimmy John sandwitches I don't know. :mellow: Has anyone noticed that The Muppets are getting more sexual references in their newer movies like that one where they did an updated version of The Wizard of Oz. It is a children's movie for heaven's sake. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Tridenteen

JMJ
It has been a year since I have gone to a mall. My brother and his friend haven't been to one for three years. They had to look at the ground half of the time because of the posters. By the way, I went to QT for a cola and some lady was a wearing a black beach dress (cover up kind) with NO underclothes. I know this cuz she bent down in front of me...and then look startled due to me yelping and turning around. I covered the side of my face with my hand (like a blinder) and turned around. My mom was in the car and said that lady was standing with the woman who was smoking and only had a beach towel wrapped around her. How did my mom know this? The woman's towel "slipped" a little when she was talking to a guy who drove up. It really seems like you can't go anywhere anymore...or is that just me? By the way, I saw the same photo...I don't even wear smelly lotion, and I have vowed never to go to that store. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img]

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='25 May 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1274806735' post='2117278']
[/quote]

Are there no optical care facilities outside of the mall around where you live? Mine is.

But yeah, I hatehatehate a lot of ads. My brother and I like to think of ways that advertising could be better without the sex. That's one of the reasons I want to go into advertising.

tinytherese

Using sex and sexual references in advertisements really just shows a lack of creativity. "Who needs to come up with something clever to get this sold? Sex works everytime." What a cop out. :rolleyes: