ryanmeyersmusic Posted August 15, 2003 Posted August 15, 2003 i got it... didn't know that's what i had, though, since my internet was down because of it... had to reformat... oh well... could have been worse...
ironmonk Posted August 15, 2003 Posted August 15, 2003 I think that's the best way to deal with stuff like that... we should reformat about every 8 months anyway God Bless, ironmonk
littleflower+JMJ Posted August 15, 2003 Posted August 15, 2003 this stuff makes me just want to just chunk my computer out the window and just buy a brand-spankin' new Dell Laptop!!! yeahhhhhhh, that sounds real good right now!!! i mean i really want a dell laptop...... :lol:
IcePrincessKRS Posted August 15, 2003 Posted August 15, 2003 this stuff makes me just want to just chunk my computer out the window and just buy a brand-spankin' new Dell Laptop!!! yeahhhhhhh, that sounds real good right now!!! i mean i really want a dell laptop...... They are SOOOO nice Flowery!!! Thats what I use. :D
Adam Posted August 15, 2003 Posted August 15, 2003 I hate Dells, wouldn't touch one. And I got that virus and I even updated windows before hand.. :(
cmotherofpirl Posted August 15, 2003 Posted August 15, 2003 THere is no one program out there that can protect you. I was hacked and virused and wormed with an updated Norton. You need to periodically run an different program just to check to make sure everything is caught. THere are several free virus scans on the net you can use.
littleflower+JMJ Posted August 15, 2003 Posted August 15, 2003 They are SOOOO nice Flowery!!! Thats what I use. :D you know it ice! dells are sweeeet!!
VanHooty Posted August 15, 2003 Posted August 15, 2003 I wasn't infected myself. I normally keep myself up to date on such things. Granted, Macs become appealing for a split second after news of a virus breaks out.
ironmonk Posted August 18, 2003 Posted August 18, 2003 Dells are great... That's all we buy at the office... they give the best bang for the buck. High quality components and they're cheaper than building it yourself. We have a Network of about 70 PC's and we also have a wide area network of 4 offices... Dell all the way... rarely do we have problems. There is software and hardware that can protect you. If your on a cable modem or DSL, I suggest getting a Linksys 4 Cable Router for about $50, it acts as a hardware firewall... I also suggest having a software firewall also... I use Norton Personal Firewall. You can get Zone Alarm free from www.ZoneLabs.com Just read all the instructions. Even if you are on a phone line, I suggest getting Zone Alarm. The blaster worm does not come from email, it comes in through a service called "messenger" (not the chat program). You can turn this off if you have XP or 2000. The way to do that is: Go to Start Then go to Settings Then open the Control Panel Click on Administrative Tools Then click on Services You'll get a pop up, scroll down to Messenger Right Click Messenger Then click on Properties Change the dropdown from Auto to Manual Click the Stop button Click OK (do not do this if you are on an office network, ask your administrator first) God Bless, ironmonk
littleflower+JMJ Posted August 18, 2003 Posted August 18, 2003 hey all you computer experts!! (i should be ashamed since i don't know since i'm goign to get certified in Networking!) whats the best one to get for my homenetwork if i decide to go wireless? getting a PCI or a USB card hook-up thing? (geez, i don't even know what their called) do you know what i mean? theirs like a $10 difference and i was wondering if theres actually a difference in performance or whathaveyou... thanks! :blink:
Theologian in Training Posted August 18, 2003 Posted August 18, 2003 help anyone? If you want to go wireless, your NIC (Network Interface Card) has to be able to support wireless technology (802.11) and you need a wireless router. With regard to PCI or USB, it all depends. As far I understand it, the USB is a NIC on the fly, usually good for Laptops and such. On the other hand, PCI, are usually what are found in desktops. However, my knowledge about wireless technology is sketchy at best being that I got out of the technology scene when I went into the seminary, so even though I still fix em, I don't keep up with the latest and newest thing. God Bless
littleflower+JMJ Posted August 18, 2003 Posted August 18, 2003 thanks theo, yeah i'm going to get the 4-port wireless router so hopefully i can put it up but the only thing bugging me was the USB or the PCI thanks theo for your help! your the best!!!!!! B)
IcePrincessKRS Posted August 18, 2003 Posted August 18, 2003 Dells are great... That's all we buy at the office... they give the best bang for the buck. High quality components and they're cheaper than building it yourself. We have a Network of about 70 PC's and we also have a wide area network of 4 offices... Dell all the way... rarely do we have problems. There is software and hardware that can protect you. If your on a cable modem or DSL, I suggest getting a Linksys 4 Cable Router for about $50, it acts as a hardware firewall... Yep, thats what we've got. ...er, minus the 70 computers. We only run 3. And its a good thing, too. Matt works from home.
ironmonk Posted August 18, 2003 Posted August 18, 2003 hey all you computer experts!! (i should be ashamed since i don't know since i'm goign to get certified in Networking!) whats the best one to get for my homenetwork if i decide to go wireless? getting a PCI or a USB card hook-up thing? (geez, i don't even know what their called) do you know what i mean? theirs like a $10 difference and i was wondering if theres actually a difference in performance or whathaveyou... thanks! I suggest going with a wired linksys router... you'll save about $200.... you can have a wire up to 300 feet long.... the Linksys 4 port cable router is about $50-60. Wireless is not secure at all... any kid with a laptop and coffee can can access the flow of your data. God Bless! ironmonk
yesygerm Posted August 18, 2003 Posted August 18, 2003 Yep, thats what we've got. ...er, minus the 70 computers. We only run 3. And its a good thing, too. Matt works from home. At work we use to have Gateway computers and they were the worst!!!! We just recently switched to Dell workstations and Dell servers and must say they do kick but. We are running a huge network of about 600 workstations and 9 servers using a WAN for multiple locations through out the nation and have heard very, very few complaints. God Bless!
Lil Red Posted August 18, 2003 Posted August 18, 2003 yesygerm, we haven't seen/heard from you in awhile! Where you been? :huh:
littleflower+JMJ Posted August 19, 2003 Posted August 19, 2003 I suggest going with a wired linksys router... you'll save about $200.... you can have a wire up to 300 feet long.... the Linksys 4 port cable router is about $50-60. Wireless is not secure at all... any kid with a laptop and coffee can can access the flow of your data. God Bless! ironmonk but do i have to like mount them in the wall and stuff? see i have 4 pcs to make into a wireless network, so thats why i was going wireless.... yikes! but thats kinda scary about going wireless i do have some lit' squirts in my neighborhood that come to mind when you say that... thanks ironmonk! God BLess! +JMJ
IcePrincessKRS Posted August 19, 2003 Posted August 19, 2003 They are these little "boxes" about the size of one of those zippered CD cases, and I don't mean the big ones that hold 300 CDs. I mean the small ones that hold like 10-20. You can keep them right at the back of the desk. I can take a picture of ours if ya want to see what they look like/our set up. :)
littleflower+JMJ Posted August 19, 2003 Posted August 19, 2003 i think that would help... does your hubby run wireless for your three comps? or are you talking about wired? anything would help.... thanks!!! :D
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now