Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

We have a cable connection. I'll post pictures tomorrow. :)

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

sounds great thanks ice!

now get some sleep!!

and give a kiss to the munchkin for me will ya?

nitey-nite!

Posted

but do i have to like mount them in the wall and stuff? see i have 4 pcs to make into a wireless network, so thats why i was going wireless....

yikes! but thats kinda scary about going wireless

i do have some lit' squirts in my neighborhood that come to mind when you say that...

thanks ironmonk!

God BLess!

+JMJ

You don't have to mount anything. If all the PC's are in one room, just run the wire. Also, wired is about 5 times faster than wireless.

If you have the PC's in other rooms, then wireless would be slowed even more because of the walls.

If you want to run the wire behind the walls, it is really easy, punch a small hole, buy a wire running tape (long thin piece of metal), you attach the wire to one end, then 'fish' it through to the other end wherever you have the other hole. You can put one of the plastic face plates on the hole to make it look pretty.

Check this site out: http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Of course since they sell wireless, they are not going to tell you the downside of it.... I suggest wired. If you want to be able to easily move around the house with your computer, don't use credit cards online, and you don't mind slower speed, then go with wireless.

God Bless!

ironmonk

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I'm with the Monk on this one, I'd go for cable over wireless.

Here's a couple pictures of my setup, as promised. :)

#1 Front view of my computer, you can see the Linksys and the modem thingy behind it.

normal_100_0323.JPG

#2 The Linksys

normal_100_0321.JPG

#3 The modem thingy--ignore the black cord to the left of it, thats the USB cable for my digital camera, I forgot to move it out of the way when I took the picture.

normal_100_0322.JPG

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

thanks ice to take time to take pics!

linksys was what i was planning on going on in fact...

i thnk all this is going to help me most definitly...

+JMJ

:D

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

You're welcome Flowery. :) My camera is pretty much glued in my hands if I'm not holding Adrienne or on the computer because if I'm not holding her I'm taking pictures of her. :lol:

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

lol i don't blame ya! adrienne was made for the camera! :D shes picture perfect!

cmotherofpirl
Posted

So why are you not posting more pics of the munchkin?

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

So why are you not posting more pics of the munchkin?

hehe Ok, you twisted my arm... I'm now convinced I need to post more pictures of her.

***scampers off to prepare a couple more pictures to post***

cmotherofpirl
Posted

:D :lol:

didn't take much :lol::lol: twisting

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

:D  :lol:

didn't take much  :lol:  :lol: twisting

lol Yeah, true, but you have to remember you're talking to the person who started a thread to shamelessly brag about her baby. :D

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

hey having a baby gives you a lifelong license for bragging that only mothers can have (oh fathers too of course!) and shamelessly do

Theologian in Training
Posted

You don't have to mount anything. If all the PC's are in one room, just run the wire. Also, wired is about 5 times faster than wireless.

If you have the PC's in other rooms, then wireless would be slowed even more because of the walls.

If you want to run the wire behind the walls, it is really easy, punch a small hole, buy a wire running tape (long thin piece of metal), you attach the wire to one end, then 'fish' it through to the other end wherever you have the other hole. You can put one of the plastic face plates on the hole to make it look pretty.

Check this site out: http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Of course since they sell wireless, they are not going to tell you the downside of it.... I suggest wired. If you want to be able to easily move around the house with your computer, don't use credit cards online, and you don't mind slower speed, then go with wireless.

God Bless!

ironmonk

Actually, I am not a big fan of Linksys, especially since it died one fine day after only 6 months, maybe a little more of uptime. On the other hand, I set up a netgear router gateway with a switch, so I can share the ADSL connection to the 3 computers, and have had absolutely no problems. Granted, it is pointless to have going when my brother and I are away at school, but when we come home we connect the network cable to the computer and router and surf in no time.

Therefore, I recommend Netgear.

God Bless

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

well my school is wireless and they use linksys so both input will help guys...

so your on wireless theo?

oh and also my network will consist of pcs that are all in different sections of the house so their not all in the same room :(

Posted

I've dealt with multiple Linksys routers, and we haven't had any trouble with them. I'd say about 6 or 7 of them.

Running the CAT 5 cable is pretty easy, it's 5x faster than wireless, it's less than 1/3 of the cost, and it's much more secure. If you do any shopping online or view any bank info.... go wired. A little time and effort in running the wire and you'll be much happier (plus, it would add value to the your house).

Running the CAT 5 is pretty much like running speaker wire. You can have a wire up to 300 feet long. You can get everything you need at radio shack, but it is cheaper getting the stuff online, places like:

http://www.cyberguys.com/

If you do go wireless, make sure that you change all the default settings, and email me, I'll send you all the links for securing your network.

God Bless!

ironmonk

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

thanks ironmonk and everyon else who helped (theo, ice,etc) sooooooo much!! your the best!!

:D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...