An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guy Sings With Womans Voice.

SaintOfVirtue

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 June 2010 - 07:34 AM' timestamp='1275651267' post='2123574']
I have to admit... I was pretty impressed by this one:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRGidTBCPU&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Now... if he could get Mariah's super-super-high register... that would be "Whoa." Perhaps a bizarre "whoa".
[/quote]

Woa, that is so... um. I want to say wierd, but it's actually kinda cool at the same time. I'm kinda creeped right now, but he still sounds really good! esp. from 3:15 on. that was really cool. better than a whole new world; that one he had to keep switching back and forth.

missionseeker

I have a friend who can sing higher than I can. That's saying a lot. Since he's a guy.

The frustrating part is that he actually sounds better than I do doing it. :lol_pound:

Not A Mallard

[quote name='missionseeker' date='04 June 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1275671376' post='2123685']
The frustrating part is that he actually sounds better than I do doing it. :lol_pound:
[/quote]
:hehe:

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='04 June 2010 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1275628530' post='2123527']
Bear in mind, the recording is more than 100 years old, recorded in 1904 (Moreschi died in 1922...factoid: he was the only castrato ever to make a recording). Recording quality was less than superb then.
[/quote]
The recording was probably done on wax. No joke. I learned in my first year musicology class that a lot of folk music everywhere was recorded on wax LPs. Once the technology was available, it was used anywhere and everywhere.

Btw, plus one to the video. Epic win. Lawl.

Though, the practice of castrati was banned by the church hundreds of years ago. It was grounds for excommunication. A lot of the time the excuse was some sort of "accident" when the boy was younger... :wacko: The reason why they were so popular is because people liked the high male voice (cue Triddytrad) but the full-grown body allowed for excellent air support, meaning longer sustained notes and clearer high notes. Nowadays, there are training exercises to help males keep the high range as well as develop a low one. Okay I'm done.

Edited by Sacred Music Man

Christie_M

at first, i thought this was about Justin Bieber...but then I read "Woman's voice" not "gilr's"

ok :mellow:

anyways. this guy is pretty talented! lol

Marie-Therese

[quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='04 June 2010 - 12:47 AM' timestamp='1275626876' post='2123514']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-CS2v8wcc[/media]
[/quote]

The odd thing is that you can hear the overtly nasal quality of his lower register. I would wager that anatomically speaking his vocal style is much better suited to that soprano style. The resonance of the woman's part is much more pleasing than that of the male part.

[quote name='missionseeker' date='04 June 2010 - 01:28 AM' timestamp='1275629321' post='2123532']
well... duh.:doh:
[/quote]

:rolling:

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='04 June 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1275672080' post='2123699']A lot of the time the excuse was some sort of "accident" when the boy was younger... :wacko:
[/quote]
[img]http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/27195.jpg[/img]
Whoops.

:mellow:

[quote name='Christie_M' date='04 June 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1275673492' post='2123720']
at first, i thought this was about Justin Bieber...but then I read "Woman's voice" not "gilr's"

ok :mellow:

anyways. this guy is pretty talented! lol
[/quote]
LAWL! Win.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='04 June 2010 - 03:40 PM' timestamp='1275680420' post='2123773']
The odd thing is that you can hear the overtly nasal quality of his lower register. I would wager that anatomically speaking his vocal style is much better suited to that soprano style. The resonance of the woman's part is much more pleasing than that of the male part.

:rolling:
[/quote]
Yeah. It's probably something like that. Or he's not controlling his registers very well, that is, putting all the focus on the upper and not refining his lower. Plus, he's not really singing out for his natural voice. That's what can make it sound unclear. He's not singing very loudly.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='05 June 2010 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1275754235' post='2124088']
[img]http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/27195.jpg[/img]
Whoops.

:mellow:
[/quote]
You're bad :P

Seriously though, they didn't have to cut anything off. I won't go into details. A TA from my music history class briefly outlined how it was done.
[spoiler]
It is more a scaring than "removing"[/spoiler]

Note, the spoiler isn't that bad. I just thought I'd put it just in case :mellow: