An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Nuns Move Into New Monastery Home

SrBenigna

The Carmelite nuns of Armstrong, BC have been building a new monastery for a while and it is finally done and they are in their new home.

On their website they are announcing an Open House tour of their permanent home for the public: [url="http://www.carmelspall.org/AnnouncementsNews.htm"]http://www.carmelspall.org/AnnouncementsNews.htm[/url]

This is a slide show of the monastery's construction: [url="http://www.carmelspall.org/PhotoGallery.htm"]http://www.carmelspall.org/PhotoGallery.htm[/url]

laetitia crucis

Hey hey!

Now this looks awfully familiar... :woot:

Edit: P.S. -- I think the new monastery looks BEAUTIFUL! :clapping:

Edited by laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='29 June 2010 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1277848929' post='2135883']
Hey hey!

Now this looks awfully familiar... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/woot.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Why? Did you visit these nuns or live near them? (Sorry if I am being nosy!)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='SrBenigna' date='29 June 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1277849038' post='2135884']
Why? Did you visit these nuns or live near them? (Sorry if I am being nosy!)
[/quote]

I've never visited them, but another VSer did. :D Perhaps she'll pop in soon!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='29 June 2010 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1277849207' post='2135889']
I've never visited them, but another VSer did. :D Perhaps she'll pop in soon!
[/quote]

:bye:

*happy sigh*

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='29 June 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1277849207' post='2135889']
I've never visited them, but another VSer did. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img] Perhaps she'll pop in soon!
[/quote]

I would love to hear of her visit - privately if she preferred of course and if she wanted to share! - as I am looking to visit them myself in September, hopefully, or maybe August. They seem like wonderful sisters and Mother Claire writes such wonderful emails and letters!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='29 June 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1277848929' post='2135883']
Hey hey!

Now this looks awfully familiar... :woot:

Edit: P.S. -- I think the new monastery looks BEAUTIFUL! :clapping:
[/quote]

:saint: Any convent or monastery named after St Joseph is wonderful!

[quote name='SrBenigna' date='29 June 2010 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1277850333' post='2135902']
I would love to hear of her visit - privately if she preferred of course and if she wanted to share! - as I am looking to visit them myself in September, hopefully, or maybe August. They seem like wonderful sisters and Mother Claire writes such wonderful emails and letters!
[/quote]

I think you may have already read about it but I can't find my thread now... Then again I only posted pics of the inside of their current temporary monastery. I did see inside the new one but only took mental pics :topsy: I'd recommend anyone to go in person if they can.

[sub] I wanna go back.[/sub] :sadder:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='29 June 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1277851371' post='2135922']
I think you may have already read about it but I can't find my thread now... Then again I only posted pics of the inside of their current temporary monastery. I did see inside the new one but only took mental pics :topsy: I'd recommend anyone to go in person if they can.

[sub] I wanna go back.[/sub] :sadder:
[/quote]

Found it! :detective:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=104829&view=findpost&p=2102144"]Advice for First Come and See[/url]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='29 June 2010 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1277854165' post='2135934']
Found it! :detective:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=104829&view=findpost&p=2102144"]Advice for First Come and See[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you Detective Crucis! Hmmm that actually sounds kinda cool and I can think of a whole book I should write to go with it too...

Just to add that on their website there are photos of a novice (white veil) she has since made her final vows, a year or two ago. They currently have no postulants or novices but if it's Gods will they might have me. Poor them haha! They have three dogs, a guard dog and two puppies, and one Sister joked about the puppies being or behaving like novices... Anyway IMO they are a wonderful Carmel that would really appreciate prayers, they asked me to tell people to pray for them.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='30 June 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1277909392' post='2136162']
Just to add that on their website there are photos of a novice (white veil) she has since made her final vows, a year or two ago. They currently have no postulants or novices but if it's Gods will they might have me. Poor them haha! They have three dogs, a guard dog and two puppies, and one Sister joked about the puppies being or behaving like novices... Anyway IMO they are a wonderful Carmel that would really appreciate prayers, they asked me to tell people to pray for them.
[/quote]

Your (possible) new home looks beautiful! (And, it appears they'll have plenty of room for you!) Since the Community obviously likes dogs, that is a double +1 for them, a far as I'm concerned. Yes, I'm more a cat-lover (although my real love is gorillas), but I've found that people who love animals (of whatever species) are a special breed. (pun intended)

And, B.C. is so gorgeous. It's one of my favorite places--what a perfect location! Since L-C has only a few months to try to talk you into being a Dominican, she may not succeed!

Obviously, it's the Community that matters, but a beautiful monastery in a lovely location (with dogs!) certainly doesn't hurt.

This monastery looks lovely and I would love to visit them. But where does one to fly to (Banff?) from the States to get to them?

[quote name='Graciela' date='30 June 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1277938788' post='2136360']
This monastery looks lovely and I would love to visit them. But where does one to fly to (Banff?) from the States to get to them?
[/quote]

The nearest airport is Kelowna International which is about an hour away from them. Most likely you would be routed through Vancouver and from Vancouver the flight is less than an hour. I forget exactly how long because I was so nervous about meeting them. tThere is a lot to do vacation wise around there and stopping by the monastery could easily be included in a trip.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='30 June 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1277924309' post='2136265']
Your (possible) new home looks beautiful! (And, it appears they'll have plenty of room for you!) Since the Community obviously likes dogs, that is a double +1 for them, a far as I'm concerned. Yes, I'm more a cat-lover (although my real love is gorillas), but I've found that people who love animals (of whatever species) are a special breed. (pun intended)

And, B.C. is so gorgeous. It's one of my favorite places--what a perfect location! Since L-C has only a few months to try to talk you into being a Dominican, she may not succeed!

[b]Obviously, it's the Community that matters, but a beautiful monastery in a lovely location (with dogs!) certainly doesn't hurt.[/b]
[/quote]

Yeah those things definitely don't hurt. I think in a way it's God giving good things to those who give up everything for His sake. I'd still be interested in them even if they didn't have a new monastery because ... well it's hard to explain right now. I know from a PR point of view the nice building is helping promote them and more importantly God to the surrounding area. They've received lots of compliments from all kinds of people, and a lot of people are surprised and pleased in a way that there are nuns and that there is a monastery there. Happy now anyway but as I wrote in my other thread the neighbours were really against them at first, twenty years ago, but that's all changed for the better now.

LC can keep trying to recruit me to the Dominicans and I'll just keep doing this :deal: I'm trying to figure out how to put that emoticon in a letter moving eyebrows and all!

I like both cats and dogs and remember how wonderful it was that I had the chance to sit there one sunny afternoon playing with the puppies for half an hour chatting with a girl who was doing a live in with them. It was one of the instances where I felt like God was spoiling me, and possibly trying to entice me to stay.