An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orders Open To Those With Mental/emotional Weakness?

Sarah147

• 8 months later...

I recently found a very hopeful comment:

[quote]

...I have a mental illness [anxiety and depression] and I thought for sure that I was called to a religious vocation. I decided to try my vocation with some active/contemplative Sisters here in the USA--the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee, WI. [b] The Sisters there were very accepting of my illness [/b]as long as I could handle the rigors of religious life. [b] They even admitted a girl who was [/b]discerning the same time I was (I met her) and she entered in Sept. 2009. I found out from her that her doctor said [b]she would have to be on medication for the rest of her life, yet the Sisters accepted her for entrance.[/b] I thought, because of this, and because of the great time I had with them that this was my home and I applied for entrance. I was asked to test my vocation for 6 weeks at one of the homes for children run by the Sisters. I went up in May 2009 with the intention of staying until June and I hoped to receive my entrance date at the end of a successful stay...

[url="http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=7296664&postcount=7"]http://forums.cathol...664&postcount=7[/url]

[/quote]

Also:
http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=111419&view=findpost&p=2217364

Edited by JoyfulLife

I have my own set of issues. I was subjected to horrible physical and verbal abuse as a child and adolescent and I have been raped. I have been open and honest about this with every order I have spoken to. Most of the Dominican communities I have spoken with have been open to accepting me because I have been through counseling for all of it. They want to make sure I have a healthy outlook on my past traumas and that I have moved past them. The Dominican Sisters of San Rafael, Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, Dominican Sisters of Tacoma, Dominican Sisters of Springfield and the Adrian Dominicans are all willing to accept me. You might try them if you feel God is calling you to the Dominicans.

I'm looking into the Sister Servants at this time as I love the order. But I will keep those in mind for the future.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1299789539' post='2219893']
I recently found a very hopeful comment:

Also:
http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=111419&view=findpost&p=2217364
[/quote]

LOL, both of those are my entries. :P

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1278198641' post='2137499']
I think I've heard the [url="http://www.rsmofalma.org/"]Religious Sisters of Mercy[/url] in Alma, Michigan are open about accepting people with a history of mental/emotional illness/weakness. However, I could be wrong... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_head.gif[/img] Perhaps others on here with have more insight. :)
[/quote]

Yes, the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, Michigan are open and accepting of people with a history of mental or emotional problems. They have trained psychologists and psychiatrists within the order. So, those sisters who may need extra support have it .

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1299908199' post='2220275']
Yes, the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, Michigan are open and accepting of people with a history of mental or emotional problems. They have trained psychologists and psychiatrists within the order. So, those sisters who may need extra support have it .
[/quote]

Mary Magdalene,
Do you know if they allow women to continue taking psychiatric medicine when they enter? This is a question that has been plaguing me for several months since I gave up discerning religious life. The thought is at the forefront of my mind again and I don't know if I should contact them again or not... :idontknow:

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299910710' post='2220282']
Mary Magdalene,
Do you know if they allow women to continue taking psychiatric medicine when they enter? This is a question that has been plaguing me for several months since I gave up discerning religious life. The thought is at the forefront of my mind again and I don't know if I should contact them again or not... :idontknow:
[/quote]

Yes, from what I have been told by some of the sisters they allow women to continue on their medication, depending on what type though. I would suggest contacting them and discussing that with them. They are extremely merciful and compassionate and take into consideration a lot of factors. They also have the means to help those sisters who may need to see a psychiatrist or psychologist.

I'll be praying for you, don't give up discerning religious life, you never know what the Lord has planned for you :nunpray:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1299913005' post='2220284']
Yes, from what I have been told by some of the sisters they allow women to continue on their medication, depending on what type though. I would suggest contacting them and discussing that with them. They are extremely merciful and compassionate and take into consideration a lot of factors. They also have the means to help those sisters who may need to see a psychiatrist or psychologist.

I'll be praying for you, don't give up discerning religious life, you never know what the Lord has planned for you :nunpray:
[/quote]

It may take some time before I'm able to work up the courage to contact them again. I tried last year, but couldn't go through with it because I was too chicken. Now that I've all but given up on religious life, I'm feeling a bit selfish. The idea of being a Sister has been a desire of mine for a few years, but I thought it was impossible due to my depression. Now I am really starting to wonder if God isn't trying to get my attention again somehow. I shall pray about this for a while and see if my heart is really in it or if this isn't flighty zeal again. :angel:

Sometimes I wish God would manifest Himself in a burning bush and tell me what to do just like He did for Moses. Why is discernment so hard? :getaclue:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299914530' post='2220286']
It may take some time before I'm able to work up the courage to contact them again. I tried last year, but couldn't go through with it because I was too chicken. Now that I've all but given up on religious life, I'm feeling a bit selfish. The idea of being a Sister has been a desire of mine for a few years, but I thought it was impossible due to my depression. Now I am really starting to wonder if God isn't trying to get my attention again somehow. I shall pray about this for a while and see if my heart is really in it or if this isn't flighty zeal again. :angel:

Sometimes I wish God would manifest Himself in a burning bush and tell me what to do just like He did for Moses. Why is discernment so hard? :getaclue:
[/quote]

Discernment is difficult , I found that myself as well before I made a decision as to which order. Many orders are very picky and wont let people in if they have suffered a mental illness or some sort of emotional problem. The door was shut to me whilst discerning with a certain order, but I've come to understand why... Some orders due to their way of life just wouldn't be suitable to certain types of people and also they just don't have the means to cater for someone who would need certain attention/counselling or medications.

But with prayer and patience the door will open when the right order comes along!

I like what you said about the burning bush, I used to get really frustrated and want something like that to happen. But my spiritual director told "your not going to get struck down by lightning if thats what your waiting for!"

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1299915233' post='2220289']
Discernment is difficult , I found that myself as well before I made a decision as to which order. Many orders are very picky and wont let people in if they have suffered a mental illness or some sort of emotional problem. The door was shut to me whilst discerning with a certain order, but I've come to understand why... Some orders due to their way of life just wouldn't be suitable to certain types of people and also they just don't have the means to cater for someone who would need certain attention/counselling or medications.

But with prayer and patience the door will open when the right order comes along!

I like what you said about the burning bush, I used to get really frustrated and want something like that to happen. But my spiritual director told "your not going to get struck down by lightning if thats what your waiting for!"
[/quote]

I think I really need to make an appointment with my parish priest to talk to him about my discernment. Unfortunately, I don't have a spiritual director who I can go to, but I trust my priest and think he might be able to help. Honestly, the desire has always remained in my heart since the time I started discerning until now--even though I gave up discerning religious life. The RSMs are a lovely community--I've always thought so and if by chance Christ impressed upon my heart to make a Come and See retreat with them, I would be willing to do it, but I won't be ready to commit for a while. I still would like to at least finish up my Associates degree before doing that again since it's almost finished. I'm getting ahead of myself, though...

Please pray for me. I think I'm going to start a novena to St. Joseph even though I am a few days late. :nunpray:

Mary Magdalene

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299915659' post='2220291']
I think I really need to make an appointment with my parish priest to talk to him about my discernment. Unfortunately, I don't have a spiritual director who I can go to, but I trust my priest and think he might be able to help. Honestly, the desire has always remained in my heart since the time I started discerning until now--even though I gave up discerning religious life. The RSMs are a lovely community--I've always thought so and if by chance Christ impressed upon my heart to make a Come and See retreat with them, I would be willing to do it, but I won't be ready to commit for a while. I still would like to at least finish up my Associates degree before doing that again since it's almost finished. I'm getting ahead of myself, though...

Please pray for me. I think I'm going to start a novena to St. Joseph even though I am a few days late. :nunpray:
[/quote]

You will most definitely be in my prayers. All the best with your degree. And its never too late to start the novena to St Joseph. Just keep talking to someone about your discernment and pray, the Lord is always listening.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299915659' post='2220291']Please pray for me. I think I'm going to start a novena to St. Joseph even though I am a few days late. :nunpray:
[/quote]

I will pray a prayer to St. Joseph specifically for you everyday when I pray the LOTH.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Mary Magdalene' timestamp='1299918357' post='2220293']
You will most definitely be in my prayers. All the best with your degree. And its never too late to start the novena to St Joseph. Just keep talking to someone about your discernment and pray, the Lord is always listening.
[/quote]

Thank you so much, MM (lol, we have same initials!). I really appreciate the help and support. :)

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1299949301' post='2220317']
I will pray a prayer to St. Joseph specifically for you everyday when I pray the LOTH.
[/quote]

God bless, Cherie. You know I always appreciate your prayers.

Things went surprisingly well today. I was shopping around with my mom and we were talking and all of a sudden, I blurted out that I found a group of Sisters who may be willing to work with people with depression. She was VERY supportive! She and I are very close but I was worried about telling her that I'm looking again because I didn't want to confuse or upset her. However, I want to obey God over the confusion and do His will. She very much agreed that He appears to be telling me something. I am going to talk to the priest tomorrow before Mass and see if we can get together for a meeting sometime this week. Pray everything goes OK! :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299960927' post='2220340']
Things went surprisingly well today. I was shopping around with my mom and we were talking and all of a sudden, I blurted out that I found a group of Sisters who may be willing to work with people with depression. She was VERY supportive! She and I are very close but I was worried about telling her that I'm looking again because I didn't want to confuse or upset her. However, I want to obey God over the confusion and do His will. She very much agreed that He appears to be telling me something. I am going to talk to the priest tomorrow before Mass and see if we can get together for a meeting sometime this week. Pray everything goes OK! :)
[/quote]

I'll remember you in my prayers, too :)

Take your time, though. I actually wanted to post a story on this thread in reference to something JoyfulLife had posted earlier about God's timing and waiting but hadn't gotten a chance yet. So here it is as a reminder to be patient (not necessarily directed at you, MM, but for anyone who's discerning), even if it seems God is starting to do something new, exciting, and different in your life!

I randomly turned on the radio to the local Christian music station (I sometimes like to hear something a little more upbeat than Gregorian Chant...). And the DJ started telling a story. She said that her family was recently moving, and as they were boxing things up and removing them from the house, their dog was obviously becoming a little bit upset and worried.

If you've been around dogs much, you know this look. And it got worse as they started to empty the house more and more until there was practically nothing in it. She said he kept looking at them like, "Where are you going? Are you going to forget me?! DON'T FORGET ABOUT ME!!!"

He was the very last "thing" they took out of the house... and when she finally put the leash on him to take him to the car, he was super-excited and so happy to go! But up until that time, he had seen everything he was familiar with suddenly disappear, and it seemed to him that he wasn't going where those things were. But as the DJ explained, she didn't want him to get lost or hurt or be tripped over, etc. They had to wait until it was the best time to take him with them.

And so she made the comparison between God's timing with us and her family's timing with their dog - sometimes we see things changing all around us, or people doing really exciting things (like the other people on VS entering communities), and we feel like we're going to get left out. But there's a reason we need to wait. God won't forget about us; He just wants to make sure everything is good before he puts our leashes on ;)

[size="1"]I know that story is kinda cheesey but I thought it was cute... probably because God knows I'm a sucker for animals![/size]