An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orders Open To Those With Mental/emotional Weakness?

Sarah147

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1299964980' post='2220360']
I'll remember you in my prayers, too :)

Take your time, though. I actually wanted to post a story on this thread in reference to something JoyfulLife had posted earlier about God's timing and waiting but hadn't gotten a chance yet. So here it is as a reminder to be patient (not necessarily directed at you, MM, but for anyone who's discerning), even if it seems God is starting to do something new, exciting, and different in your life!

I randomly turned on the radio to the local Christian music station (I sometimes like to hear something a little more upbeat than Gregorian Chant...). And the DJ started telling a story. She said that her family was recently moving, and as they were boxing things up and removing them from the house, their dog was obviously becoming a little bit upset and worried.

If you've been around dogs much, you know this look. And it got worse as they started to empty the house more and more until there was practically nothing in it. She said he kept looking at them like, "Where are you going? Are you going to forget me?! DON'T FORGET ABOUT ME!!!"

He was the very last "thing" they took out of the house... and when she finally put the leash on him to take him to the car, he was super-excited and so happy to go! But up until that time, he had seen everything he was familiar with suddenly disappear, and it seemed to him that he wasn't going where those things were. But as the DJ explained, she didn't want him to get lost or hurt or be tripped over, etc. They had to wait until it was the best time to take him with them.

And so she made the comparison between God's timing with us and her family's timing with their dog - sometimes we see things changing all around us, or people doing really exciting things (like the other people on VS entering communities), and we feel like we're going to get left out. But there's a reason we need to wait. God won't forget about us; He just wants to make sure everything is good before he puts our leashes on ;)

[size="1"]I know that story is kinda cheesey but I thought it was cute... probably because God knows I'm a sucker for animals![/size]
[/quote]

I really appreciate your prayers. I've made up my mind to finish my degree because of the amount of time I've been working on it and I have a great desire to finally finish my education after all these years. I doubt, even if I found out I was called to the RSMs, that I would enter sooner than 1 or 2 years. I'm in no rush at all. That's really want to speak to my priest about--to make sure that my will is in alignment with His. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1299964980' post='2220360']
I'll remember you in my prayers, too :)

Take your time, though. I actually wanted to post a story on this thread in reference to something JoyfulLife had posted earlier about God's timing and waiting but hadn't gotten a chance yet. So here it is as a reminder to be patient (not necessarily directed at you, MM, but for anyone who's discerning), even if it seems God is starting to do something new, exciting, and different in your life!

I randomly turned on the radio to the local Christian music station (I sometimes like to hear something a little more upbeat than Gregorian Chant...). And the DJ started telling a story. She said that her family was recently moving, and as they were boxing things up and removing them from the house, their dog was obviously becoming a little bit upset and worried.

If you've been around dogs much, you know this look. And it got worse as they started to empty the house more and more until there was practically nothing in it. She said he kept looking at them like, "Where are you going? Are you going to forget me?! DON'T FORGET ABOUT ME!!!"

He was the very last "thing" they took out of the house... and when she finally put the leash on him to take him to the car, he was super-excited and so happy to go! But up until that time, he had seen everything he was familiar with suddenly disappear, and it seemed to him that he wasn't going where those things were. But as the DJ explained, she didn't want him to get lost or hurt or be tripped over, etc. They had to wait until it was the best time to take him with them.

And so she made the comparison between God's timing with us and her family's timing with their dog - sometimes we see things changing all around us, or people doing really exciting things (like the other people on VS entering communities), and we feel like we're going to get left out. But there's a reason we need to wait. God won't forget about us; He just wants to make sure everything is good before he puts our leashes on ;)

[size="1"]I know that story is kinda cheesey but I thought it was cute... probably because God knows I'm a sucker for animals![/size]
[/quote]

I really appreciate your prayers. I've made up my mind to finish my degree because of the amount of time I've been working on it and I have a great desire to finally finish my education after all these years. I doubt, even if I found out I was called to the RSMs, that I would enter sooner than 1 or 2 years. I'm in no rush at all. That's really want to speak to my priest about--to make sure that my will is in alignment with His. :)

Indwelling Trinity

[size="4"]This is a beautiful thread.... Sometimes God rends in order to heal that which was broken. I know of many sisters in many different communities who are thriving fully as beautiful religious who have had emotional difficulties in the past and many who are on continual medications also.

Their beauty is so evident in their humility in accepting the crosses that God has chosen to give them. They are holy women, even brilliant women who continue to put one foot in front of the other seeking the kingdom of God, so steadfast is their love for Him. In their own past brokenness they have learned mercy for others and in so doing have become healing a presence and grace for others, instruments with whom God can use freely for they have accepted their own truth before Him.

If God is truly calling you to religious life, don't fear your struggles, try to embrace them lovingly and know in His own time he will bring you to just the place and community he wants for you so that you may continue to grow into the beautiful person he has called you to be for Him.

I have lived with such women in the past and have been touched deeply by them and the gift that they are not only to me and others, but also awed by the depths of their holiness in seeing what great things God has done with and in them. In our weaknesses God strength is shown forth.

Ironically it is those religious who have not learned to accept their own brokenness and frailties with humility and grace that seem to be often at a greater loss. For many rely on their own strength rather on God and in so doing, the deeper gifts of God's grace and mercy seems to elude them.

In my own religious life, i too have known time of deep brokenness and i can tell you that through it i have come to know The God of mercy much more intimately than if I had never suffered such things. And yes these things do heal and we become strong again; but not with a strength of our own but with the strength of a Loving and merciful God who comforts us in all our affliction so that we too may in turn give comfort others.

In embracing the cross we come to know the suffering Jesus intimately dwelling in the depth of our souls so powerfully, that we are astounded at his nearness whispering gently, " will you comfort me?" And with a silent and almost imperceptible voice the loving heart whispers "yes." And in those moments the cross is at once transformed into the triumph of resurrection, not only in consoling him in his own desire for our love, but in the healing that takes place in the deepest recesses of our souls calling us ever more deeply into that unity with Him who dwells within.

This is the science of the cross that calls us to intimate loving union with God and ultimately resurrection in Him as a new creature living to give witness to His power and triumph over all, living to reflect the reality that God IS. Sometimes it takes a long long time for this to happen, but when it does it is so powerful that no words suffice and silence only can adequately express that which is so simple yet profound. What power there is in that little word "yes;" that silent "fiat" of Mary, which uttered in time now resounds through all eternity; the "yes" which brought forth the Son of God, the Divine redeemeryet Even greater the "Yes" of her Son the Incarnate word who reconciled all things by embracing that very same cross. And so too, God continually invites us to to share in that same mystery so that we too may become transformed into the image and likeness of He who is love and in turn with him lift a broken world up to God asking His mercy and and healing presence on all. What intimacy God calls us too! What happiness to contemplate such mystery of God with us.

Have no fears for the future, because even if we cannot see one single step in front of us as to what God is doing in our lives, rest assured he does... all we have to do is to however feebly we can, continue to say "yes" to his will and he will bring us to safe shelter, gently carrying us home. And then no matter where the road leads, we will be firmly rooted in HIM and in that rootedness find our true abode. Isn't that the whole point of a true vocation?

I hold each of you gently in prayer and i ask that you too remember me in your own good prayer.

:rolleyes:
[/size]

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1300001144' post='2220437']
[size="4"]This is a beautiful thread.... Sometimes God rends in order to heal that which was broken. I know of many sisters in many different communities who are thriving fully as beautiful religious who have had emotional difficulties in the past and many who are on continual medications also.

Their beauty is so evident in their humility in accepting the crosses that God has chosen to give them. They are holy women, even brilliant women who continue to put one foot in front of the other seeking the kingdom of God, so steadfast is their love for Him. In their own past brokenness they have learned mercy for others and in so doing have become healing a presence and grace for others, instruments with whom God can use freely for they have accepted their own truth before Him.

If God is truly calling you to religious life, don't fear your struggles, try to embrace them lovingly and know in His own time he will bring you to just the place and community he wants for you so that you may continue to grow into the beautiful person he has called you to be for Him.

I have lived with such women in the past and have been touched deeply by them and the gift that they are not only to me and others, but also awed by the depths of their holiness in seeing what great things God has done with and in them. In our weaknesses God strength is shown forth.

Ironically it is those religious who have not learned to accept their own brokenness and frailties with humility and grace that seem to be often at a greater loss. For many rely on their own strength rather on God and in so doing, the deeper gifts of God's grace and mercy seems to elude them.

In my own religious life, i too have known time of deep brokenness and i can tell you that through it i have come to know The God of mercy much more intimately than if I had never suffered such things. And yes these things do heal and we become strong again; but not with a strength of our own but with the strength of a Loving and merciful God who comforts us in all our affliction so that we too may in turn give comfort others.

In embracing the cross we come to know the suffering Jesus intimately dwelling in the depth of our souls so powerfully, that we are astounded at his nearness whispering gently, " will you comfort me?" And with a silent and almost imperceptible voice the loving heart whispers "yes." And in those moments the cross is at once transformed into the triumph of resurrection, not only in consoling him in his own desire for our love, but in the healing that takes place in the deepest recesses of our souls calling us ever more deeply into that unity with Him who dwells within.

This is the science of the cross that calls us to intimate loving union with God and ultimately resurrection in Him as a new creature living to give witness to His power and triumph over all, living to reflect the reality that God IS. Sometimes it takes a long long time for this to happen, but when it does it is so powerful that no words suffice and silence only can adequately express that which is so simple yet profound. What power there is in that little word "yes;" that silent "fiat" or Mary which uttered in time now resounds through all eternity; the "yes" which brought forth the Son of God, the Divine redeemer. Even greater the "Yes" of her Son the Incarnate word who reconciled all things by embracing that very same cross. And so too, God continually invites us to to share in that same mystery so that we too may become transformed into the image and likeness of He who is love and in turn with him lift a broken world up to God asking His mercy and love on all. What intimacy God calls us too! What happiness to contemplate such mystery of God with us.

Have no fears for the future, because even if we cannot see one step in front of us as to what God is doing in our lives, rest assured he does... all we have to do is to however feebly we can, continue to say "yes" to his will and he will bring us to safe shelter, gently carrying us home. And then no matter where the road leads, we will be firmly rooted in HIM and in that rootedness find our true abode. Isn't that the whole point of a true vocation?

I hold each of you gently in prayer and i ask that you too remember me in your own good prayer.

:rolleyes:
[/size]
[/quote]

What a beautiful reflection. My best friend told me, before she entered religious life, that she believed what St. Teresa of Avila said, "We often find that those who have endured the greatest trials have walked closest with Christ." I know, in my own struggles with depression, I've had to learn surrender and total reliance on God's mercy and love for me to overcome the darkness that seemed to settle into my life. The event that tipped the balance was having to learn how to "let go and let God" when a friend of mine died in a very tragic car accident at the age of 16 (I was 16 as well). That was almost 12 years ago and, in that time, I've really learned some valuable lessons, more so in spending time with Christ in the Eucharist than with psychologists. Finding that peace and understanding that death is not forever, I came to understand the mystery of God's love. That's when I fell in love with Him so completely and I eventually understood that giving myself up to Him would be the greatest gift I could give for all that He has done for me. It will never be enough, but I desire to show Him how much I love Him in an act of surrendering to His will. If He calls me again to be His bride, I know it will be difficult, but I cannot refuse the Lover of my soul. Whatever plans I have for myself will be set aside for the good of God's kingdom. My best friend always encouraged me, and it is through her example of being broken, healed, and becoming a religious that gives me hope for the future.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. [i][b]Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.[/b][/i]"--Matthew 6:25-34

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."--Jeremiah 29:11-13

Amen to the beautiful words in the two previous posts :)

I think we'll find out that many, many Saints struggled with these issues... and that those who were in religious life probably endured them before entering and after entering. They just didn't have the same names we give them (and to some degree, they might have had a deeper understanding of God's healing power and mercy than we do in this current age).

And just look at the number of views this thread has gotten - now almost to 1,300! So obviously people are struggling with this now or are at least wondering what those issues mean in the larger picture of eternity and doing God's will.

I guess that my approach would be to try to find a community that I was attracted to, to correspond with them, to visit if possible, and to establish a relationship with them. If there was a mutual attraction between you and the community and you felt suitable to and attracted to its works--then and only then to tell the vocation director about your previous medical problems.

Consider what happens if you date someone. You meet him (usually a him ;)), you talk, meet casually, go out on dates casually or in groups, and then start to date. You talk about your mutual interests and backgrounds, testing the waters--do you like him? Is he suitable? --and if things get more serious, talk about 'issues' you've had in the past. You don't state it first thing.

Communities, who may have had difficulties in the past with candidates with mental issues, are going to be wary, of course. Not necessarily after they get to know you. I think that you should give yourself and them a chance.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1300128827' post='2220690']
I guess that my approach would be to try to find a community that I was attracted to, to correspond with them, to visit if possible, and to establish a relationship with them. If there was a mutual attraction between you and the community and you felt suitable to and attracted to its works--then and only then to tell the vocation director about your previous medical problems.

Consider what happens if you date someone. You meet him (usually a him ;)), you talk, meet casually, go out on dates casually or in groups, and then start to date. You talk about your mutual interests and backgrounds, testing the waters--do you like him? Is he suitable? --and if things get more serious, talk about 'issues' you've had in the past. You don't state it first thing.

Communities, who may have had difficulties in the past with candidates with mental issues, are going to be wary, of course. Not necessarily after they get to know you. I think that you should give yourself and them a chance.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, this doesn't count for all religious orders. I got very serious about one in particular and just as I was going to ask for an application, the Superior asked me if I had any health problems. I was on retreat with the order when she asked this. Of course, I couldn't lie and I told her about my history. Even though I built up a reputation with them, they said that they were unable to admit candidates with a previous history of depression. I chalked it up to the fact that God was not calling me there, but it hurt nonetheless.

I understand that religious orders, vowing a life of poverty, cannot afford to buy their members medication. I don't have issue with that at all. I believe if God is indeed calling me to religious life, He will find a way. It's all about trust. It doesn't mean that there won't be hurts and disappointments. It means that you must keep trying, which I still have to learn. I think the only reason I gave up was because of the negative responses. I'm not saying I have a religious vocation, but if I end up entering an order, it will be because God kept persisting even though I thought it was impossible. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300131129' post='2220693']
Unfortunately, this doesn't count for all religious orders. I got very serious about one in particular and just as I was going to ask for an application, the Superior asked me if I had any health problems. I was on retreat with the order when she asked this. Of course, I couldn't lie and I told her about my history. Even though I built up a reputation with them, they said that they were unable to admit candidates with a previous history of depression. I chalked it up to the fact that God was not calling me there, but it hurt nonetheless.

I understand that religious orders, vowing a life of poverty, cannot afford to buy their members medication. I don't have issue with that at all. I believe if God is indeed calling me to religious life, He will find a way. It's all about trust. It doesn't mean that there won't be hurts and disappointments. It means that you must keep trying, which I still have to learn. I think the only reason I gave up was because of the negative responses. I'm not saying I have a religious vocation, but if I end up entering an order, it will be because God kept persisting even though I thought it was impossible. :)
[/quote]

Of course, this approach wouldn't work for [i]all[/i] religious orders. But it may work with some and that list may include one that you are interested in. I think that the operative words are their getting to know [i]you. [/i]You may know a lot about them but it may not be visa versa.[i] [/i] I think that a gradual approach[i] [/i]with an emphasis on mutual familiarity could be more fruitful than inquiring in the first letter if the community accepts people with a mental history. [i]
[/i]
Finding out that a community won't consider someone with a history of mental illness says something about that community. Mental difficulties are much more frequently diagnosed these days and can be successfully treated. In the past , they were just as prevalent, but were unrecognized.
[i]
[/i]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300131129' post='2220693']

[/quote]

Of course, this approach wouldn't work for [i]all[/i] religious orders. But it may work with some and that list may include one that you are interested in. I think that the operative words are their getting to know [i]you. [/i]You may know a lot about them but it may not be visa versa.[i] [/i] I think that a gradual approach[i] [/i]with an emphasis on mutual familiarity could be more fruitful than inquiring in the first letter if the community accepts people with a mental history. [i]
[/i]
Finding out that a community won't consider someone with a history of mental illness says something about that community. Mental difficulties are much more frequently diagnosed these days and can be successfully treated. In the past, they were just as prevalent, but were unrecognized.
[i]
[/i]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1300157772' post='2220790']
[/i]
Finding out that a community won't consider someone with a history of mental illness says something about that community. Mental difficulties are much more frequently diagnosed these days and can be successfully treated. In the past, they were just as prevalent, but were unrecognized.
[i]
[/i]
[/quote]

I think it's important not to hold entrance requirements against the community. It is very difficult for a community that vows poverty to afford multiple doctor's visits unless they have insurance donated to them by a benefactor, and even then, many are unwilling to take an entrant on that may pose a risk to the community. There are some that are better prepared to handle such persons than others. I do agree, though, that mental illnesses are more commonly diagnosed these days. Depression is very common. However, communities have either had bad experiences or some just don't have the experience or resources.

I think it's very commendable that orders like the Religious Sisters of Mercy, who have medical experience, would be willing to accept candidates with illnesses. I've heard of a few others like the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (the order I was involved with), Sister Servants of the Eternal Word, and some Visitation communities. I even knew of a cloistered Carmelite monastery whose Prioress was open to accepting me even if I needed to take medication, though I don't know if that option is still available because the Prioress is different.

I do agree that it is not a good idea to tell the community right off. The most important thing to remember is to "hope for the best, but expect the worst." :)

HopefulBride

In my experience, it has as much to do with God calling to that particular community/order as it has to do with their openness to accepting young women with mental/emotional weakness. For example, early in my discernment I felt a very strong call to a particular community (because of their spirituality) and after speaking on the phone with the SD, she suggested that I rethink religious life because of my past struggles. Another community, not related to them but loosely affiliated with them (same spirituality) yielded the same results. The SD I was initially in contact with was very encouraging even though she knew of my past struggles, I even spoke with the superior who was supportive. However, the new SD suggested that I rethink religious life and consider marriage strongly (I was pretty much engaged prior to that so of course I considered it) these hurt a lot as they happened almost in sequence.

I felt discouraged and thought that I would never find a place to live out the vocation I felt God was calling me to. Later on, I came accross the SMMCs while planning a silent retreat (ironicaly the retreat was so that I could figure out what God truly wanted of me and WHERE He was calling me) I visited the sisters with the primary intent of doing a silent, spiritual retreat and almost two years later, I am making preparations to enter. I was open with Mother Kathryn and shared with her the same information I shared with the others.

I now see that God allowed me to go through these difficult, hurtful periods of rejections so that I could truly learn to let go of my own plans and trust in His will for me. Now I look back and see God's Divine wisdom and the Holy Spirit's guidance in speaking to me through these SDs, especilly in light of the fact that others with somewhat similar experiences as mine are discerning with those communities. I also know deep down that I could not have lived out their apostolates and be a happy religious.

I guess what I am saying is that as important as it is to look at communities that are open to those with Mental/Emotional weakness, it is also important to be sure to look for a community whose charism resonnates within you. A place where you can live out your [b]yes [/b]to the Lord in the most profound way. No matter your past Emotional/Mental troubles; once the Lord has guided you to your home, you and the community will both know.

God Bless you all for your courage in continuing with your discernment despite the obstacles; it is a true testament of your love for Him. I know in my case I truly had to lay it all down, let go and say "thy will be done" it took a lot of faith and courage for me to continue to trust in Him and be open to the possibility of more hurt and rejection. As JPII said, "Do not be afraid" Just trust the Lord and He will guide you to the perfect community where you can grow spiritually.

Pax,
Hopeful

[b]ETA: [/b]I did not meean for this to be so long!

Edited by HopefulBride

OnlySunshine

HopefulBride,

You have such beautiful insights. :)

At the beginning of my discernment, I looked at so many religious orders, but at the time, I thought for sure I was called to a cloistered Carmelite community. I cannot count how many I wrote, but none of them really felt like the right fit. There was the one in Buffalo which I was in contact with for a long time, but I eventually stopped calling them because my path led a different way. I honestly don't think I'd be good in a cloistered community. I cannot see myself living that life. I do remember one monastery prioress telling me she believed I had a vocation, but with the reasons I listed at the time, she did not think I belonged in Carmel. At the time, I just thought that she was mistaken.

I don't know how many times I've written about it here, but I applied to the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in 2009 after one visit with them (in the Northern Province). Now, when I look back, I think the only reason I chose to apply was because the application was offered to me and because they were willing to accept me in spite of my depression. It didn't work out, though. I never formally entered because I voluntarily withdrew my application since I discovered that I didn't feel at home there. I know better now that those reasons are not good enough to enter a community.

Funnily enough, when I started contact with the Carmelite DCJ community, it was because I received a Christmas card with a little note inside that said to contact them if I felt called to religious life. I took it as a sign, but I shouldn't have because I received a packet of information from the Religious Sisters of Mercy that very same day! :getaclue: That was 2 years ago, though, and I hope that I have matured since then.

I do feel an attraction to the Religious Sisters of Mercy, but I've always been so chicken to actually call them, just like I have with other communities. Also, I just don't want to call them out of the blue without first taking some advice from my parish priest. I want to make sure that I'm making this decision out of real attraction to them and not just because they might accept me.

I do, indeed, ask for your prayers. I really want to make an informed and mature decision regarding my vocation. If the Sisters are open to it, I hope to make several visits with them while finishing up my degree. I think this would give me enough time to gauge if I truly am called there since it would be about 2 to 3 years before I am done with school. Of course, if God calls me sooner than that, I'll know, but I really don't want to rush. It's never a good idea to make important decisions in haste. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1300045056' post='2220506']
Amen to the beautiful words in the two previous posts :)

[b]I think we'll find out that many, many Saints struggled with these issues... and that those who were in religious life probably endured them before entering and after entering. They just didn't have the same names we give them (and to some degree, they might have had a deeper understanding of God's healing power and mercy than we do in this current age).[/b]

And just look at the number of views this thread has gotten - now almost to 1,300! So obviously people are struggling with this now or are at least wondering what those issues mean in the larger picture of eternity and doing God's will.
[/quote]

Forgive me, I just saw this post. I think that's true, too. :)

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I just wanted to add some helpful links to this thread:

[quote]
[size=2][color=#ff0000][b]Discernment information:[/b][/color][/size]
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=113619"][color=#0f72da]"Discernment - Head and heart"[/color][/url]

[b]Great places to search Orders:[/b]

[url="http://www.cmswr.org/"][color=#0f72da]http://www.cmswr.org[/color][/url]

[url="http://www.religiouslife.com/"][color=#0f72da]http://www.religiouslife.com/[/color][/url]

[url="http://womenreligiousordersapos.blogspot.com/"][color=#0f72da]http://womenreligiousordersapos.blogspot.com[/color][/url]

[b]Orders open to those with medical issues:[/b]
"[url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=572250"][color=#0f72da]WIll my medical disabilities prevent me from entering a convent?[/color][/url]"

[b]Help for paying medicines:[/b]

[url="http://needymeds.org/"][color=#0f72da]http://needymeds.org[/color][/url]
[url="http://managedrxplans.com/"][color=#0f72da]http://managedrxplans.com/[/color][/url]

[b]Organizations for paying debts:[/b]
[b][url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=8009511#post8009511"][b][color=#0f72da]"Question about being a nun"[/color][/b][/url][/b]

[/quote]

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up old cobwebs but I had to share this info...

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1315091099' post='2299763']
Hello,

I just wanted to add some helpful links to this thread:
[/quote]

WARNING ABOUT "MANAGED RX"....

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1331750207' post='2400675']
I've been unable to use the card because I'm using a discount card from the manufacturer... So I still can't vouch for it.

I tried to use managed Rx but my doctor's office said the website didn't post their address and it wasn't ssl secure, so they wouldn't trust it and refused to use it and I agreed. Then I came across this...

http://m.citysearch.com/review/7544049

Thank God!

I'm pretty suspicious now.

The only safe bet is "needy meds" because it just lists discounts straight from the drug manufacturers. I'm using one discount plan straight from the estrogel drug website along with a major insurance, and it cuts the copay down to $20/month at CVS.

Sorry for posting stuff with such ignorance!!
[/quote]

If you can get on a state insurance due to low income or disability, it can cover all the copay on most medicines, and at least some of the fees in other states.

Supplemental insurance is available such as AARP.

Edited by JoyfulLife