An Old School Catholic Message Board

Abortion In The Usa

elizabeth09

Abortion  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Marie-Therese

Just to make a general statement:

Elizabeth is one of our younger members, and enjoys discussing issues with other Catholics. While most of us might feel this is a topic on which most have well-formed opinions, let's remember that our young members like to ask questions too. :)

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='11 July 2010 - 09:53 PM' timestamp='1278899592' post='2141429']
Alright bro.
[/quote]
I am glad to see you coming to your senses. You shall now become a feudal monarchist.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 July 2010 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1278902689' post='2141445']
I am glad to see you coming to your senses. You shall now become a feudal monarchist.
[/quote]

Not on your life.

:P

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='11 July 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1278903144' post='2141450']
Not on your life.

:P
[/quote]
God is a monarchist.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 July 2010 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1278903213' post='2141451']
God is a monarchist.
[/quote]

We aren't in heaven yet.

:saint:

Edited by ThePenciledOne

SaintOfVirtue

[quote name='Winchester' date='11 July 2010 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1278906428' post='2141495']
We are in the Kingdom of God.
[/quote]

His Kingdom is not of this world.

:mellow:

[quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='12 July 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1278962159' post='2141697']
His Kingdom is not of this world.

:mellow:
[/quote]
I didn't say it was. But we are within the kingdom of God and He seems to think quite highly of monarchy. I believe that bears a look.

Also, it's an effective and legitimate form of government, and feudalism provides a nice balance.

No, it's not.

Monarchy doesn't work because it makes a man God, vests in one person the existence of the state and the sovereignty of the people, and is a violent violation of nature.

SaintOfVirtue

[quote name='Winchester' date='13 July 2010 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1279038706' post='2142072']
Also, it's an effective and legitimate form of government, and feudalism provides a nice balance.
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Maybe if man was as perfect as God.

[quote name='Arco' date='15 July 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1279212362' post='2142993']
No, it's not.

Monarchy doesn't work because it makes a man God, vests in one person the existence of the state and the sovereignty of the people, and is a violent violation of nature.
[/quote]
Monarchies fail for the same reasons as other governments, and that it the fallen nature of man. Monarchy does not make a god of man any more than the Church makes a god of the pope.

Are you arguing that the right to rule comes from the people? Which types of monarchies are violent violations of nature?

[quote name='SaintOfVirtue' date='15 July 2010 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1279214003' post='2143008']
:rolleyes:

Maybe if man was as perfect as God.
[/quote]
How is feudalism not effective as a means of curbing the power of a king? Or is this merely the prejudice of a believer in Western democracy, which is a child of the Enlightenment, which in its turn is a product of the Protestant Revolt?

[quote name='Winchester' date='15 July 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1279215992' post='2143021']
Monarchies fail for the same reasons as other governments, and that it the fallen nature of man. Monarchy does not make a god of man any more than the Church makes a god of the pope.

Are you arguing that the right to rule comes from the people? Which types of monarchies are violent violations of nature?
[/quote]

Let me see how well I can tease this out.

First, I agree with you right off the bat that monarchies fail because of the fallen nature of man, and that is precisely the crux of my argument: man is fallen, and man is not God. The problem with any monarchy that actually functions as such (this excludes virtually every modern European monarchy)is that it takes popular sovereignty -- the right of a society to govern itself -- and vests it into a single person who rules by decree ungoverned by law. It turns a man into the state, and surrounds him with scraping adoration. He is a god in all but name; he has power of life and death, and is no man's servant.

This is obviously a particular envisioning of monarchy, and not necessarily representative, but it is ultimately that to which monarchy is ordered: one man rules, and is not himself ruled. Because he is not ruled, because he has no constraints but those he himself accedes to, he is a god. But a man is not God, and can never be so. What we are left with then is a monster and a tyrant.

And yes, I do believe authority is ultimately based on the consent of the governed.