An Old School Catholic Message Board

"negative Poll"

organwerke

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now, there is my proposal.

I have been recently missing because I have not much time and often also interest in following all the threads, especially seeing that almost every one, especially in the Debate Table, becomes an occasion to offend, attack others, or to complaint with victimistical claims etc.

So, I sometimes give a look, and, instead of writing, since I have no time and, also, I very often find that others have already written what I would write, too, I express my opinion with the point system.

Now, it has happened more than once that I voted a post with a positive and that positive was cancelled.

It has also happened that I've seen a lot of people recently complaining about the fact that they receive negatives.
Now, first of all, I don't believe that these persons never give negatives themselves.
And I don't believe that there are some persons who are wiser and "more intelligent" giving their negatives than other.
I also don't think that it has a sense to complaint about negatives with the individuals: since the system allows the negative vote to everyone, everyone can choose how to use it.
It is the system that is wrong, in my opinion.
For example, for persons like me, that have only a positive to give, each day, a negative can soon cancel my vote, while there are persons who can give more positives in a day (I think that it works so).
Finally: I think that in a catholic forum it would be better if negative points didn't exist.
I think it should exist only the possibility to give positive votes.
When posts are offensive etc., there are already the moderators, otherwise in my opinion every person can say his opinion without being banned only because others do not agree.

So.......
would you like if phatmass allowed only the positives and not the neg.s?
NOTE: people who vote YES must consider that they can't give negatives anymore to the persons they were used to give, while they probably tried to show themselves as the "innocents" here.
people who vote NO should no complaint anymore about the negatives they receive.

Edited by organwerke

dairygirl4u2c

the negatives are very much based on popularity. especially with more controversial topics, or responses, the same response could get an up or down, simply based on popularity. and of couse, being a resident noncatholic i would know, much is based on rocking the boat for catholics. at the very least, speaking freely on one's perceptions in that regard, especially when one is not speaking academically or intellectually rigorously, off the record formally type responses. (which we all have those types of opinions that would offend others, that are usually kept tactful, or academic and detached, etc- it's not just me attacking catholics or the CC

I'm not sure. I think they can be used for really rude comments, but I don't want to have an atmosphere where one is afraid to tell their opinion or post freely in fear of that ominous little minus button.

Honestly, I have no idea how many points I have. I didn't even know how to check for the longest time.

[quote name='Hilde' date='10 July 2010 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1278774293' post='2140727']
I'm not sure. I think they can be used for really rude comments, but I don't want to have an atmosphere where one is afraid to tell their opinion or post freely in fear of that ominous little minus button.
[/quote]

[b]i find the negative option to be rather condescending, at times - when given without a stated or implied reason.

nobody, including me likes to be thought of as negative :shock: i like the +/- thing! If anything it should be enhanced.

[/b]

[quote name='CatherineM' date='10 July 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1278775305' post='2140736']
Honestly, I have no idea how many points I have. I didn't even know how to check for the longest time.
[/quote]

You do realize that you are only 63 points away from a set of steak knives?

[quote name='hot stuff' date='10 July 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1278776040' post='2140741']
[/quote]

:thumbsup: i would give you a "+1", but failed because I have already have reached my quota for the day!

[b]
[/b]

Edited by apparently

[quote name='hot stuff' date='10 July 2010 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1278776040' post='2140741']
[/quote]
That's great because they took all my steak knives away from me.

HisChildForever

I rarely, if ever, use my points. When I do it is to help a friend out. But that is just one measly point.

Oh, if I could decide it, I would even eliminate the entire voting system but at the moment it seems that the majority here is fond of the possibility to vote negative.

and I guess that if I did a poll proposing to eliminate the whole point system the majority would vote "No".

So, contrary to some comments the majority is fond of the point system.