An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nashville Dominicans On Ewtn

Starets

laetitia crucis

So... did anyone get a little verklempt? (Or should I say, "Did anyone have a typhoon?" :sweat: )

I kinda had a mini-typhoon during the Profession of First Vows and then that bit during the Final Profession with Sr. Mary Amata.

Dude, I could barely breathe when pronouncing my First Vows (temporary vows of one year) -- I was a blubbering mess. (And we were professing in a big group!) :paperbag: (Alas, I have not passed through the Kolinahr process...)

Major props to Sr. Mary Amata for being able to regain composure! :clapping:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='11 July 2010 - 11:09 PM' timestamp='1278904140' post='2141469']
Us Dominicans speak alike too. LOL! I say "Vedy nice!" all the time at work and home. :lol:
[/quote]

:cheers:

That is too cool!!!

:punk:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='11 July 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1278904524' post='2141476']
So... did anyone get a little verklempt? (Or should I say, "Did anyone have a typhoon?" :sweat: )

I kinda had a mini-typhoon during the Profession of First Vows and then that bit during the Final Profession with Sr. Mary Amata.

Dude, I could barely breathe when pronouncing my First Vows (temporary vows of one year) -- I was a blubbering mess. (And we were professing in a big group!) :paperbag: (Alas, I have not passed through the Kolinahr process...)

Major props to Sr. Mary Amata for being able to regain composure! :clapping:
[/quote]

I did throughout the movie. It was tugging on my heartstrings so much that I ended up contacting them through their website and looking at tickets to make a retreat. [i]I must meet these Sisters![/i] :P

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='11 July 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1278900009' post='2141433']
Me too! I am watching EWTN on my computer and it's about to come on! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Darn, I didn't realize that I could watch EWTN on my computer. (I haven't had a working TV for at least 6 months and haven't missed it--but I'd heard about "Beloved" and wanted to see it.)

laetitia crucis

I think it would be such a wonderful thing if Salt & Light could make additional films like that of other orders/communities. How cool would that be?

Hmmm... I'm wondering if this is a film my family could handle watching. Granted, it's not my community, but I feel like it might shed a little light on my future life as a Dominican. I think I'll ask one of my friends to DVR it for me, and then maybe I can record it to show to my family. :think:

I'm having difficulties with the Oprah videos... for some reason I keep seeing a huge Cheerio through the middle of some of those uploads. :blink: :annoyed: Not cool. <_<

I like the fuller perspective of religious life that [i]Beloved[/i] gives. ^_^ A nice step-by-stop look into religious life.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='11 July 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1278904718' post='2141478']
I did throughout the movie. It was tugging on my heartstrings so much that I ended up contacting them through their website and looking at tickets to make a retreat. [i]I must meet these Sisters![/i] :P
[/quote]

Once you meet them, you must tell us about it! :D

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='11 July 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1278904918' post='2141481']
Darn, I didn't realize that I could watch EWTN on my computer. (I haven't had a working TV for at least 6 months and haven't missed it--but I'd heard about "Beloved" and wanted to see it.)
[/quote]

It's coming on again on Tuesday!!! 1pm EST! :woot:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='11 July 2010 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1278904524' post='2141476']

[/quote]
Oh ya there were definitely some touching moments, interrupted by my connection pausing! So i went from :( to :annoyed: to :love: several times

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='11 July 2010 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1278904140' post='2141469']
Us Dominicans speak alike too. LOL! I say "Vedy nice!" all the time at work and home. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I guess I'm not really a Dominican, because I don't say "Veddy nice." Although I think of that phrase as British, not particularly Dominican.

However, I do say, "Lovely!" in the peculiarly British way.

There is also one British phrase I particularly like, that if L-C doesn't use now, she may adopt when she moves "across the pond," and that is, "Mustn't grumble." The phrase is usually used after talking about something going wrong, such as, "The tea was cold today, still at least we had tea. Mustn't grumble." Or, "The roof seems to have developed a leak, but I have a very useful bucket, so mustn't grumble."

I have a feeling that L-C is going to have lots of circumstances when she will need that reminder--especially at the beginning. As much as I am a true Anglophile, the UK is far from perfect. Still, mustn't grumble.

L-C is SO lucky that she will be living there! My fantasy would be to live in the UK, but for many reasons, it's not practical. At least I have had the opportunity to visit the UK at least 10 times (I think), which is a lot more than most people get, so mustn't grumble.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='11 July 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1278904718' post='2141478']
[/quote]

:yahoo: :woot: Thats fantastic!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='11 July 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1278905344' post='2141487']
I guess I'm not really a Dominican, because I don't say "Veddy nice." Although I think of that phrase as British, not particularly Dominican.

However, I do say, "Lovely!" in the peculiarly British way.

There is also one British phrase I particularly like, that if L-C doesn't use now, she may adopt it when she moves across the pond, and that is, "Mustn't grumble." The phrase is usually used after talking about something going wrong, such as, "The tea was cold today, still at least we had tea. Mustn't grumble." I have a feeling that LC is going to have lots of circumstances when she will need that reminder--especially at the beginning. As much as I am a true Anglophile, the UK is far from perfect. Still, mustn't grumble.
[/quote]

:rolling:

I will being incorporating "Mustn't grumble"!! :woot: I've always been fond of the word "mustn't". :nerd:

I also say "lovely" [i]quite[/i] a lot! So, if similar verbage is a sign of a particular charism, that has to count for something, right? :D

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='11 July 2010 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1278904308' post='2141471']
JMJ
I loved it...but my Heart does lie elsewhere...

I love watching nun life...seeing their dormitory, kitchen, halls...it's so cool!
[/quote]

Triddy--Have you ever said where you are leaning in terms of a future community, and I have just forgotten? (Not that it's my business or you have any reason to tell me except that it will make it easier to pray for you.) I do have a strong suspicion that it will be somewhere with a Tridentine rite. Not sure where I got that idea...... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='11 July 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1278904718' post='2141478']
I did throughout the movie. It was tugging on my heartstrings so much that I ended up contacting them through their website and looking at tickets to make a retreat. [i]I must meet these Sisters![/i] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]
[/quote]

They not only have a beautiful Motherhouse, and lovely chapel (to me, it's really too large to be called a chapel). But, best of all they have CAPES!!!!! (Okay, not as a postulant, but that's only one year. After that--gorgeous, graceful CAPES!)
As you can see, as usual I am focusing mostly on their apostolate and prayer life. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

OnlySunshine

You know, it's funny because I never saw myself as a teacher and I didn't think I'd ever be interested in teaching, but after seeing the part with the Sisters in their apostolate and the way they reach students, I became much more interested than ever. It's so beautiful to see the Sisters with the students. They have a real motherly love and that's what draws me to them. Their joy is just so apparent in the video that I got the bug and I really need to check them out. I know that if I go there, I will not be a nurse, but I realize that religious life is about serving God in any way that He desires and not sticking to the apostolate that you are only interested in. If God desires me to teach, I will teach. :saint:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='11 July 2010 - 11:47 PM' timestamp='1278906421' post='2141494']
They not only have a beautiful Motherhouse, and lovely chapel (to me, it's really too large to be called a chapel). But, best of all they have CAPES!!!!! (Okay, not as a postulant, but that's only one year. After that--gorgeous, graceful CAPES!)
As you can see, as usual I am focusing mostly on their apostolate and prayer life. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I [i]heart[/i] those loooong black capes!

Agree about the chapel, too! :lol:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='11 July 2010 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1278906722' post='2141497']
You know, it's funny because I never saw myself as a teacher and I didn't think I'd ever be interested in teaching, but after seeing the part with the Sisters in their apostolate and the way they reach students, I became much more interested than ever. It's so beautiful to see the Sisters with the students. They have a real motherly love and that's what draws me to them. Their joy is just so apparent in the video that I got the bug and I really need to check them out. I know that if I go there, I will not be a nurse, but I realize that religious life is about serving God in any way that He desires and not sticking to the apostolate that you are only interested in. [b]If God desires me to teach, I will teach.[/b] :saint:
[/quote]

Amen! That's what I said as well! :hehe:

I particularly enjoyed hearing from Sr. Beatrice in that respect. Nice perspective!