An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nashville Dominicans On Ewtn

Starets

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='11 July 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1278904718' post='2141478']
I did throughout the movie. It was tugging on my heartstrings so much that I ended up contacting them through their website and looking at tickets to make a retreat. [i]I must meet these Sisters![/i] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Mater, I LOVE your enthusiasm! You're like a kid in a candy store. You keep finding out about new communities, and getting SO excited about them!

That's a GOOD thing! It might not be so good if you still felt strongly attracted to various communities after entering the novitiate in one community, but while you're discerning, you're having so much fun!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='12 July 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1278988312' post='2141916']
Mater, I LOVE your enthusiasm! You're like a kid in a candy store. You keep finding out about new communities, and getting SO excited about them!

That's a GOOD thing! It might not be so good if you still felt strongly attracted to various communities after entering in the novitiate in one community, but while you're discerning, you're having so much fun!
[/quote]

LOL, I know! :woot:

I plan to ask our new pastor about spiritual direction very soon after he settles in. I really need someone who can be objective with me so I can sort out the little inconsistencies in my discernment and focus on what really matters. I can't be called to all these religious orders. I can only be called to one. I must find one soon because I'm getting closer to the cut-off age of 30 for most orders. :blink:

I have crossed several communities off my list for one reason or another (thank goodness!). Most of the time it's because I don't feel attracted to them after learning more. Could you imagine me going to each community I thought of? I'd have no money left! :P

I'll be heading down to Nashville for the vows at the end of the month. My cousin is taking her final vows this year! :D

LilyofSaintMaria

I'm recording it right now. Can't wait to watch it. Did you know that at the end of the month EWTN will air another documentary and this time about the Hawthorne Dominicans. I hope I can remember to record that one!

Thanks for the heads up, would have completely missed it if I didn't see this post! :D

laetitia crucis

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' date='13 July 2010 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1279041055' post='2142093']
I'm recording it right now. Can't wait to watch it. Did you know that at the end of the month EWTN will air another documentary and this time about the Hawthorne Dominicans. I hope I can remember to record that one!

Thanks for the heads up, would have completely missed it if I didn't see this post! :D
[/quote]

Ooooo -- I'll have to be sure to watch the one on the Hawthorne Dominicans, too! Exciting!! :clapping:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' date='13 July 2010 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1279041055' post='2142093']

[/quote]

I wonder if it is the same one that I got on Dvd with the packet of information that Sr Alma sent? I believe it was about 25 minutes long.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I just finished watching "Beloved." Thank-you for reminding me, and for providing the Web link.

It's interesting, my reactions to the video, although I enjoyed it a lot, and wished it was longer, are very different from the reactions many of you had. Not negative reactions at all--just different. I have to let my feelings sink in for awhile before I post about them, and I may not post about them at all, because right now I couldn't explain them in a meaningful way. At the moment, they are just a jumble of feelings.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='13 July 2010 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1279044595' post='2142112']
I just finished watching "Beloved." Thank-you for reminding me, and for providing the Web link.

It's interesting, my reactions to the video, although I enjoyed it a lot, and wished it was longer, are very different from the reactions many of you had. Not negative reactions at all--just different. I have to let my feelings sink in for awhile before I post about them, and I may not post about them at all, because right now I couldn't explain them in a meaningful way. At the moment, they are just a jumble of feelings.
[/quote]

That's fantastic that you were able to watch it. :) If you don't want to share your reaction that's fine but if you do share don't worry about it being a jumbled mess. I doubt it would be anywhere as bad as most of the stuff I write!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='13 July 2010 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1279043164' post='2142104']
I wonder if it is the same one that I got on Dvd with the packet of information that Sr Alma sent? I believe it was about 25 minutes long.
[/quote]

Is this the same video they have on their website?

Which, by the way, brings me to this question I've been meaning to ask: Has anyone had trouble viewing the "[url="http://www.hawthorne-dominicans.org/video.htm"]Vocation Video[/url]" on the Hawthorne Dominicans' site? I click "play" and nothing happens, though the player says "ready". :sadder:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='13 July 2010 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1279047777' post='2142127']
Is this the same video they have on their website?

Which, by the way, brings me to this question I've been meaning to ask: Has anyone had trouble viewing the "[url="http://www.hawthorne-dominicans.org/video.htm"]Vocation Video[/url]" on the Hawthorne Dominicans' site? I click "play" and nothing happens, though the player says "ready". :sadder:
[/quote]

Yes, it is. :)

The video didn't work on my computer either. I had to wait for the DVD to arrive. :ohno:

MissScripture

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='12 July 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1278908128' post='2141505']
I agree! That's what actually got me started thinking:
[i]
Well, what if God [b]IS[/b] calling me to teach and I'm blowing Him off because [b]I[/b] want to be a nurse?[/i]

I am very drawn to their common life as shown in the video, especially the fact that they are so active in sports. Lately, I've been exercising a lot for my health and it makes me feel so good, physically and emotionally. I'm sure it's a great stress reliever to be able to play a friendly game with all your Sisters.

Wow, the more I talk about them, the more I want to go visit and SOON! So much so, that I plan to put other retreats on hold and give Nashville first priority! :D
[/quote]
Well, first off, if you go to Nashville after August 11, say hi to my sister for me! :hehe: I just had to respond to this post, because it struck me as funny, since my sister is entering in August, and she at first struggled with her call to Nashville, because she wanted to be a nurse! (Granted, she was only in 9th grade when she decided on nursing, but in my family we tend to be highly indecisive until we make a decision, and then we will stick to it!) She even was "plotting" on how she could go to Nashville AND be a nurse (maybe she'd be the nurse in the infirmary, etc). But now, she is thoroughly excited to be going into teaching (which is good, since she's entering in August! lol). At any rate, prayers for your vocation decisions! And I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time visiting Nashville, even if it isn't where you're meant to end up. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MissScripture' date='13 July 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1279064292' post='2142261']
Well, first off, if you go to Nashville after August 11, say hi to my sister for me! :hehe: I just had to respond to this post, because it struck me as funny, since my sister is entering in August, and she at first struggled with her call to Nashville, because she wanted to be a nurse! (Granted, she was only in 9th grade when she decided on nursing, but in my family we tend to be highly indecisive until we make a decision, and then we will stick to it!) She even was "plotting" on how she could go to Nashville AND be a nurse (maybe she'd be the nurse in the infirmary, etc). But now, she is thoroughly excited to be going into teaching (which is good, since she's entering in August! lol). At any rate, prayers for your vocation decisions! And I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time visiting Nashville, even if it isn't where you're meant to end up. :)
[/quote]

Wouldn't it be funny if I decided to apply there too? Especially since I have nursing on my mind too! How did your sister end up going to visit them?

MissScripture

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='13 July 2010 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1279066365' post='2142283']
Wouldn't it be funny if I decided to apply there too? Especially since I have nursing on my mind too! How did your sister end up going to visit them?
[/quote]
I think she actually visited and that was the first place she ever visited, and felt called right away to be there. I know that she first went with a "nun run" and then to 2 or 3 retreats, plus visited once with my parents when they were on vacation in TN. I think that the visit with my parents (which was the first visit after the nun run) was what really seemed to seal the deal, so to speak. She was really regretting asking them to take her there when they were heading there, but once they got there, she was super happy. But it was kind of funny, because the reason they were vacationing in TN was to go to the Smoky Mountains to meet my (then) future in-laws, and when they got to the convent, and I *think* they were talking to Sr. Mary Emily, my mom said, "We were passing through to meet our daughter's future in-laws" and Sister gave them a funny look, like, "Then why are you even here?" And then my mom was like, "Oh...Our OTHER daughter! She wasn't able to come with us!" :lol: At that point I think my sister wanted to hide. :hehe:

Edited by MissScripture

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MissScripture' date='13 July 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1279071651' post='2142307']
I think she actually visited and that was the first place she ever visited, and felt called right away to be there. I know that she first went with a "nun run" and then to 2 or 3 retreats, plus visited once with my parents when they were on vacation in TN. I think that the visit with my parents (which was the first visit after the nun run) was what really seemed to seal the deal, so to speak. She was really regretting asking them to take her there when they were heading there, but once they got there, she was super happy. But it was kind of funny, because the reason they were vacationing in TN was to go to the Smoky Mountains to meet my (then) future in-laws, and when they got to the convent, and I *think* they were talking to Sr. Mary Emily, my mom said, "We were passing through to meet our daughter's future in-laws" and Sister gave them a funny look, like, "Then why are you even here?" And then my mom was like, "Oh...Our OTHER daughter! She wasn't able to come with us!" :lol: At that point I think my sister wanted to hide. :hehe:
[/quote]

:rolling:

Hahaha! How embarrassing! My face probably would have turned beet red from embarrassment. :lol:

What a cool story! We'll see if God has a trick up His sleeves for this would-be nurse as well. ;)

MissScripture

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='13 July 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1279073242' post='2142319']
:rolling:

Hahaha! How embarrassing! My face probably would have turned beet red from embarrassment. :lol:

What a cool story! We'll see if God has a trick up His sleeves for this would-be nurse as well. ;)
[/quote]
:hehehe: Our family has a way of doing/saying the most embarassing things at the worst possible moment. lol!

Who knows what God has in store! If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you never know what to expect from Him! :)