An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites! Happy Feast Day Of St. Teresa Of The Andes

SrBenigna

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341876406' post='2454119']
I just watched the mini-series and found out that St Teresa of the Andes entered Carmel on May 7th-my birthday! What a great film.
[/quote]

The first time I watched that, the part where the cloister doors open and the nuns are singing [i]O Gloriosa Virginum[/i], I was brought to tears. It's so beautiful how she prostrates herself. I also wonder if her atheistic brother was ever converted? In the movie, it shows him trying to stop her and the Carmelite friars frown at him.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Thanks for the reminder of her feast day Mater-I am sure we will both be asking her to pray for us since her feast day precedes your psych exam and my family Poor Clare visit! What a coincidence (or not :evil:)!

Edit: I also LOVED her entrance to the cloister. So many of the moments where she is in Carmel almost brought me to tears also, since they are so intense. I watched it with my mom and we were both determined not to cry, but it was difficult. The nuns sang so many beautiful hymns that I want to get my hands on.

Edited by emmaberry

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341883215' post='2454186']
Thanks for the reminder of her feast day Mater-I am sure we will both be asking her to pray for us since her feast day precedes your psych exam and my family Poor Clare visit! What a coincidence (or not :evil:)!

Edit: I also LOVED her entrance to the cloister. So many of the moments where she is in Carmel almost brought me to tears also, since they are so intense. I watched it with my mom and we were both determined not to cry, but it was difficult. The nuns sang so many beautiful hymns that I want to get my hands on.
[/quote]

Yep, it's the day before we have those events, so I'm sure she'll be looking down on us and praying for us. I love looking at pictures of her. Her eyes are captivating. Like they say, "The eyes are the windows to the soul," and St. Teresa of the Andes had such bright eyes full of love and wonder for God. :)

[img]http://www.roebuckcarmel.com/media/andes1.jpg[/img]

If you want a copy of the notes and words to the Latin hymn, O Gloriosa Virginum, I found it here:

http://romaaeterna.jp/liber1/lu1314.html

I hope this helps! :flowers:

Chiquitunga

I cried several times throughout this movie!!! :sad: I seriously think it's the best movie made in the history of mankind, or way up there. :heart: Ah, it's soo real. Most of the places were filmed on location too, including the actual Carmel, as the community moved to a new monastery in a more rural setting

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341880573' post='2454153']
The first time I watched that, the part where the cloister doors open and the nuns are singing [i]O Gloriosa Virginum[/i], I was brought to tears. It's so beautiful how she prostrates herself. I also wonder if her atheistic brother was ever converted? In the movie, it shows him trying to stop her and the Carmelite friars frown at him.
[/quote]
Yes, Lucho was converted along with Miguel, although I don't know all the details (need to catch up on reading her life and works!) A friend who knows a lot about her life and visited her shrine in Chile told me. She bought me this beautiful Spanish book on her with a ton of pictures, and so many of the places I recognize from the movie!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1341975857' post='2454563']
I cried several times throughout this movie!!! :sad: I seriously think it's the best movie made in the history of mankind, or way up there. :heart: Ah, it's soo real. Most of the places were filmed on location too, including the actual Carmel, as the community moved to a new monastery in a more rural setting

Yes, Lucho was converted along with Miguel, although I don't know all the details (need to catch up on reading her life and works!) A friend who knows a lot about her life and visited her shrine in Chile told me. She bought me this beautiful Spanish book on her with a ton of pictures, and so many of the places I recognize from the movie!
[/quote]

How beautiful! I am so glad Miguel was converted. I just remember how sad and lonely he was throughout the movie and he also had an angry streak. I'm sure St. Teresa's family benefited immensely from her prayers and suffering in Carmel. :)

Wasn't Lucho already devout? Did he stop practicing? I wasn't aware of his conversion. That's interesting. I was reading a biography on St. Teresa yesterday and it said that Lucho was the one that taught St. Teresa how to pray the Rosary.

Also, I think it's beautiful how so many saints were drawn to First Holy Communion and St. Teresa is no exception. With the likes of Bl. Imelda, Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity, and St. Maria Goretti, they all disliked waiting to receive the Eucharist for the first time. I wish I had been that fervent in my childhood. I think it's awesome to read that. :love:

That's awesome that your friend bought you the book about her with the pictures. She is such an inspiring saint!

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

BarbTherese

Only ever read about her online, but enough to come to love her. And pictures of her are positively angelic...........and ohhh those eyes! Prayer for all Carmelites especially on the 13th.

AveMariaPurissima

St. Teresa of the Andes is one of my absolute favorite saints! I am in the middle of re-watching the movie (this is probably my 3rd or 4th time watching it!). She is so beautiful!

<--I changed my profile picture in honor of her upcoming feastday!!!!

Edited by AveMariaPurissima

Chiquitunga

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341992659' post='2454604']
How beautiful! I am so glad Miguel was converted. I just remember how sad and lonely he was throughout the movie and he also had an angry streak. I'm sure St. Teresa's family benefited immensely from her prayers and suffering in Carmel. :)

Wasn't Lucho already devout? Did he stop practicing? I wasn't aware of his conversion. That's interesting. I was reading a biography on St. Teresa yesterday and it said that Lucho was the one that taught St. Teresa how to pray the Rosary.[/quote]
Lucho (which is a nickname for Luis, his actual name) was the atheistic one, and Miguel - the older one - was the one always coming home late from parties, etc. Remember that scene when Rebecca shows Juanita Miguel's poems? Juanita says, "Lucho has lost faith, and Miguel ..."

Lucho was the one who stretched out his hand just as she was entering (though I'm not sure if that happened in real life) and said to her at her clothing, "Juanita, what's the point of all this. God doesn't exist." Juanita/Sr. Teresa: "Pero existe, Lucho. Existe." :saint:

Another thing my friend who's very knowledgeable about her life said .. her parents were about to separate, but they stayed together after Juanita's entrance to Carmel and soon to follow death. All of these conversions .. not to mention Rebecca feeling called to enter after her death too, and receiving the same name (but different title). They didn't get to this point in the movie (which probably was good, since it focused on St. Teresa's life) but the actress who played Rebecca certainly looked like her, [url="http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_album.htm"]http://www.teresadel...ais/a_album.htm[/url] (scroll down)

Ah, this movie! This saint!! :heart:

Chiquitunga

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341992659' post='2454604']That's awesome that your friend bought you the book about her with the pictures. She is such an inspiring saint!
[/quote]
The book is the one [url="http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_biblio_span.htm"]here[/url] with the Rosary on the cover (now if I would just read through it and the other one I have on her! Ah, there are so many wonderful books to read out there, esp. on Carmel!) Tomorrow I will post a funny picture from it of Juanita and her sisters, which I've never seen anywhere else.. :hehe:

carmelite15

Pray for my best friend Sam she is going to enter Carmel today I am so happy for her and I will miss her so much :)

Carmelite15, which Carmel did she enter, if you don't mind me asking? That's wonderful and I am praying for her!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1342114135' post='2454998']

Lucho (which is a nickname for Luis, his actual name) was the atheistic one, and Miguel - the older one - was the one always coming home late from parties, etc. Remember that scene when Rebecca shows Juanita Miguel's poems? Juanita says, "Lucho has lost faith, and Miguel ..."

Lucho was the one who stretched out his hand just as she was entering (though I'm not sure if that happened in real life) and said to her at her clothing, "Juanita, what's the point of all this. God doesn't exist." Juanita/Sr. Teresa: "Pero existe, Lucho. Existe." :saint:

Another thing my friend who's very knowledgeable about her life said .. her parents were about to separate, but they stayed together after Juanita's entrance to Carmel and soon to follow death. All of these conversions .. not to mention Rebecca feeling called to enter after her death too, and receiving the same name (but different title). They didn't get to this point in the movie (which probably was good, since it focused on St. Teresa's life) but the actress who played Rebecca certainly looked like her, [url="http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_album.htm"]http://www.teresadel...ais/a_album.htm[/url] (scroll down)

Ah, this movie! This saint!! :heart:
[/quote]

Strictlyinkblot

Is there anywhere I can watch the film online. I saw bits of it on gloria tv but it didn't make all that much sense because a lot had been chopped out

Chiara Francesco

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoUUZjFLJhA&feature[/media]

Chilean Carmelites speaking of St. Teresa of the Andes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAd5TeDT_4&feature=fvwrel

Edited by Chiara Francesco

Thanks for posting CF! BTW: If you didn't already know, there is a sister Chiara Francesco (or maybe Francesca?) with the Cleveland PCCs. Love the name.