Ashley Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 Do you say grace before eating? How, when, where, why?
HomeTeamFamily Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 yes "Bless us o Lord and these thy gifts, that we are about to recieve, from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord amen" when i sit down in front of my plate before i take my first bite at the table to thank God for allowing me to eat and blessing me with food....regardless or taste or appearance or quantity
cathgirl Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 ditto!!! (I know it might be silly, but I invite Jesus to sit w/ my family so that we may have a peaceful dinner and so we can all get to know Him better)
thicke Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 I have to second what hsmom said. But I have to add that because of the communal nature I attribute to the meal, I always also give thanks for my wife, my family and my friends with whom I share the meal.
benedict_x Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 I like the fact that we have universal prayers for even the littlest thing like eating. Makes us all one family under God. Its Brilliant!
allis-challmers Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 hey same prayers here too. I have a problem though. I work at a construction site and it ain;t the thing to do Pray I mean. I am trying to get over this feer of being different but it is hard to do. I am trying though.
immaculata Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 "Bless us, O Lord, and these, thy gifts, which we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord. Amen. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace." Everyone who eats dinner at my house is always surprised by our extra little prayer at the end.. hehe. My friend's family does the Regina Caeli: "Queen of heaven, rejoice. Alleluia. The Son whom you were privileged to bear, Alleluia, has risen as he said, Alleluia. Pray to God for us, Alleluia. Rejoice and be glad, Virgin Mary, Alleluia. For the Lord has truly risen, Alleluia."
ilovechrist Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 i've never heard of someone doing the Regina Caeli for grace, but it works just the same i guess... i stick with the regular Bless us one.. my fam does like to change it up once in a while, especially when my dad's just woken up ".... uh... thank you for... that food on the table.. and may i get some more rest later? AMEN!"... is usually how that one goes
Thankful Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 We don't have a set prayer before meals, it is mostly spontaneous. I once heard our priest say that we must always say grace, after all, we wouldn't want to eat Pagan food! He was joking of course, but he was getting at the fact that the sacramental mentality of our church encourages us to see ordinary things as sent from God for our good. For instance, an ordinary tree that Christ was crucified on became a door by which we could enter into salvation. In the same way the food that God has provided for us can nourish us to do His will. Grace is a way to remind us of this.
littleflower+JMJ Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 yup. and after eating we always say gracias adios everytime. all the time.
willguy Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 immaculata, Our Family adds the Requiem to the end also! That is so cool! I thought we were the only ones who did that.
electricdisk Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 We ALWAYS say grace whenever we are all sitting down at the table together. Even if we go to a restaurant. Sign of the Cross, Bless us O' Lord. Sign of the Cross... Sometimes we eat 'on the go' in passing so I skip it (not on purpose).
immaculata Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 haha.. I love saying grace in a resturant.. especially when it's a big group of teenagers and we start praying, and suddenly the entire resturant becomes quiet...
littleflower+JMJ Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 [quote name='immaculata' date='Apr 15 2004, 09:55 PM'] haha.. I love saying grace in a resturant.. especially when it's a big group of teenagers and we start praying, and suddenly the entire resturant becomes quiet... [/quote] and they stare! :hide:
Fiat_Voluntas_Tua Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 Or at a public school when people at your table just stop talking...and somtimes the appologize for talking to you when you are praying. I sometimes find it difficult to pray at school, for some foolish reason because i don't want to be 'different'. I know ithis is so wrong, but i feel that way sometimes. But i still pray, just very privately. Pax et Agape per Maria, Andy
Lil Red Posted April 16, 2004 Posted April 16, 2004 i usually also add when i'm in a group (my hubby does not pray with me) to remind us that as the food nourishes us, we should be food (nourishment) to one another.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now