An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kids/teens "i-Dosing" With "digital Drugs"

Tony

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12793977

[quote]

[i]By Adrianna Iwasinski, NEWS 9

MUSTANG, Oklahoma – I-dosing on "digital drugs" is becoming an alarming new trend amongst teens.

Web sites are luring kids with free downloads of "digital drugs," which are audio files designed to induce drug-like effects. The sites claim it is a safe and legal way to get high, but parents fear it could lead to illegal drug use.

Videos of teenagers trying digital drugs are all over YouTube, leaving parents, educators and law enforcement officials with the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs concerned.

"Kids are going to flock to these sites just to see what it is about and it can lead them to other places," said OBNDD spokesperson Mark Woodward.

The digital drugs use binaural or two-toned technology to alter your brainwaves and mental state.

"Well it's just scary, definitely scary. Just one more thing to look out for," said parent Kelly Johnson.

Recently Mustang Public Schools sent out a letter warning parents about the new trend after several high school students reported having physiological effects after trying one of these digital downloads. Students and graduates are still talking about it.

"I heard it was like some weird demons and stuff through an iPod and he was like freaking out," said Mustang High School student Meghan Edwards.

"People do need to be concerned about it. It's not just something that should be overlooked," said Shelbi Reed, Mustang High School graduate.

"We had never come across anything like this and anything that is going to cause these physiological effects in a student, that causes us concern," said Shannon Rigsby, Mustang Public Schools Communication Officer.

Mustang schools are doing what they can to put a stop to it, including cracking down on the use of cell phone and other technology while on campus.

The Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics said parental awareness is key to preventing future problems, since I-dosing could indicate a willingness to experiment with drugs.

"So that's why we want parents to be aware of what sites their kids are visiting and not just dismiss this as something harmless on the computer," Woodward said. "If you want to reach these kids, save these kids and keep these kids safe, parents have to be aware. They've got to take action."

Another concern the OBN has is that many of these I-dosing sites lure visitors to actual drug and drug paraphernalia sites.[/i][/quote]

Scary. You want a conspiracy theory? Get this idea: get kids hooked on these iDrugs, then switch the files to brainwash them into [insert evil organisation here] drones.

Edited by Sacred Music Man

Fidei Defensor

I hate that people are abusing this. I use brain-wave programs to help meditate or become more alert, and they do really work.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='17 July 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1279392113' post='2143975']
I hate that people are abusing this. I use brain-wave programs to help meditate or become more alert, and they do really work.
[/quote]
Got any recommendations? I've always been skeptical of those.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='17 July 2010 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1279392763' post='2143979']
Got any recommendations? I've always been skeptical of those.
[/quote]
http://www.brainsync.com/ is an excellent site to start with. It's not free, but you can learn a bit more about it and what waves do what. For free stuff, search around the web a bit.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='17 July 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1279400391' post='2144018']
http://www.brainsync.com/ is an excellent site to start with. It's not free, but you can learn a bit more about it and what waves do what. For free stuff, search around the web a bit.
[/quote]
Kewl, thanks.

Sternhauser

The use of certain sound and light wavelengths should be limited to people with a prescription written by an [i]authorized[/i] [i]physician. [/i] Why, without strict governmental regulations on anything within in the 570-580 µm wavelength, we'll have crazed junkies hooked on the street drug "yellow" robbing liquor stores to get their next fix! The situation demands [i]immediate [/i]kneejerk legislation. People are too stupid to know what's bad for them, or what's best for themselves. That's why those stupid people are supposed to vote. Because the aggregate of the wills of a bunch of stupid, vice-driven people who can't control their own actions somehow results in putting a wise, virtuous person into a position of coercive power. Or a least they succeed in giving a fellow stupid, vice-driven person a lot of supra-natural coercive power. Which is a safe thing.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='17 July 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1279418945' post='2144159']
The use of certain sound and light wavelengths should be limited to people with a prescription written by an [i]authorized[/i] [i]physician. [/i] Why, without strict governmental regulations on anything within in the 570-580 µm wavelength, we'll have junkies hooked on the drug that goes by the street name "yellow" ransacking houses and robbing liquor stores to get their next fix!

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
:hehehe:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tony' date='16 July 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1279339582' post='2143786']
[url="http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12793977"]http://www.newson6.c....asp?s=12793977[/url]

[/quote]

I've never heard of this, but I do know from my own experience that combinations of sounds can affect my brain.

I have a sleep disorder where, among other problems, I get no Stage 4 sleep and very little Stage 3 sleep. Stage 4 sleep is the deepest sleep where your body heals itself. There are no "cures" for this, but taking certain medications and avoiding others at bedtime can help.

A few years ago, I found a CD that said that the sounds in the tape would increase Delta waves (Stage 4 sleep). I tried the CD for a few nights. The sounds were like those from outer space. Not unpleasant, but kind of strange.

I didn't notice that I felt better or slept more soundly, and I certainly never felt "high." But, twice when I used the tape I found that I had slept-walked (sleep-walked?) during the night. For a person who lives alone, this is not a good thing, to put it mildly. Sleepwalking happens because a person's body doesn't move smoothly through the different stages of sleep, and gets "stuck" in two stages at once. So, obviously, whether it had increased Delta sleep or not, the sounds on the tape did something to affect my sleep stages.

I thought the tapes were a good idea if they worked, because it would provide a way to help increase Delta sleep without using medications (and/or avoiding certain other medications at bedtime, such as ibuprofen, asprin, Tylenol--that is, basically every pain reliever--as well as dozens of other very common things that aren't even medications. However, I'm not sure that the average person even needs a mechanism for increasing Delta sleep.

But, the danger of sleepwalking for a person living alone was too great and I stopped using the tapes.

My body is not very susceptible to substances and medications that make other people feel "high" or addicted--something I am very glad about. But, other people ARE biologically susceptible, and get high more easily or are more easily addicted.

I don't know what the sounds are on these tapes, but my guess is that it IS possible that sounds could alter brain waves, and maybe make certain people "high" (or believe they were "high.") I don't know enough about this to know if this is the case, only what I discovered in my own case--but my sleep rhythms are messed up to begin with. I think there will have to be more research to discover the effects of certain sounds on people with "normal" brain rhythms. (And most people don't even know if they have "normal" brain rhythms or not. I discovered my sleep stage problems only through an overnight sleep test--which is expensive and uncomfortable.)

Without more research, it's hard to know if this is a problem for the average person, or what the possible effects could be for someone whose brain rhythms aren't normal. Sleepwalking is dangerous for a person living alone, but relatively harmless otherwise.

I think it IS jumping to conclusions to think that a tape could make someone more susceptible to chemical drug use, without a lot more research.

I guess a tape could act to hypnotize a person, and then plant post-hypnotic suggestions--that isn't just science fiction. But, the majority of people are not that easily hypnotized.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='17 July 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1279418945' post='2144159']
The use of certain sound and light wavelengths should be limited to people with a prescription written by an [i]authorized[/i] [i]physician. [/i]Why, without strict governmental regulations on anything within in the 570-580 µm wavelength, we'll have crazed junkies hooked on the street drug "yellow" robbing liquor stores to get their next fix! The situation demands [i]immediate [/i]kneejerk legislation. People are too stupid to know what's bad for them, or what's best for themselves. That's why those stupid people are supposed to vote. Because the aggregate of the wills of a bunch of stupid, vice-driven people who can't control their own actions somehow results in putting a wise, virtuous person into a position of coercive power. Or a least they succeed in giving a fellow stupid, vice-driven person a lot of supra-natural coercive power. Which is a safe thing.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='17 July 2010 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1279426483' post='2144244']
This thread makes me laugh. its pretty ridiculous.
[/quote]

I am in NO way suggesting that we should rush to think that this is a serious societal problem, and that legislation should be passed to prohbit or limit these tapes. However, I can see parents overreacting.

On the other hand, I know from experience that certain sounds can affect your brain. Whether they can make you "high," I have no idea.

So, the idea of certain sounds affecting the brain isn't ridiculous--I've experienced it myself as I described in my post above. But, the special sounds certainly never made me "high." I hope there is a lot more research on this before parents panic or there is rush to pass legislation forbidding or limiting the use of these tapes. At this point, we know so little about this that we couldn't make a knowledgeable decision about whether this is even a problem, much less what to do about it.

While parents are busy panicking, I think we should do research on whether the effects of lstening to Barney or the song "It's a Small World" over and over are as negative for small children as they are for adults.

And, who knows what evil would result from playing the tapes backwards.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

ok, Rexi, your point is made. Sound and music can make me feel different physical things.

like nausea.