An Old School Catholic Message Board

Middle Of The Road Communities

Lilllabettt

OnlySunshine

I would say that my community is middle of the road for Carmelites, but I'm not ready to disclose which one it is yet. Maybe after Clothing? :P Patience is a virtue.

I completely understand the desire to keep hidden.  Prayers, nonetheless! ;)

OnlySunshine

I'm still looking for male communities but I remembered one in particular - the Marist Brothers.  When I was studying for Confirmation at my old parish, they had a Marist Brother on staff who was the Director of Religious Education.  They are very active in social service.

http://www.maristbr.com/who-is-marist.php

For women's communities, I would probably add the Benedictine Sisters of Elizabeth, NJ.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/bensisnj/

In community we run a gamut of ages, drawing from the wisdom of our older sisters and from the energy of our younger members, building our present upon the experiences of the past, standing always on the shoulders of the wonderful women who have gone before us. We are focused on the basics of our monastic life with its balance of prayer, work and leisure.

The family spirit of Benedict permeates our everyday life. We are present to one another, interchanging between the giver and receiver of that presence as circumstances dictate. True, we might not agree on the ideal room temperature or the degree of spice or blandness in our food. But we are there for one another when there is a need, spoken or merely perceived. We work hard at community, helping one another to be faithful to our Benedictine way of life.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine

Let me see if I can describe what I mean:

These communities usually have a modified habit, and may or may not be members of the CMSWR. They don't have an explicit "political" alignment. Their formation programs incorporate more recent advances in understanding of psychology. Compared with more traditional communities, there are usually fewer restrictions on communication with people outside the community. There are fewer things which require the permission of a superior. The way they live religious life is not as "secret." There is less emphasis on the centrality of religious decorum ... on the other hand, these Sisters live in community, have some new vocations, are orthodox, practice devotions to Mary and the Eucharist, and have a traditional interpretation of the vows and of what a religious vocation is.

I'd like to make a list of communities that fit this bill ... kind of a challenge, because I think they fly pretty well under the radar (compared to say, the very popular "old school" communities and the very vocal "liberal" ones)

Salesian Sisters
Georgetown Visitation
IHMs (PA)

(I think these communities are "middle of the road" based on my personal experience/ word of mouth)

any others?

Brooklyn Visitation Monastery is very similar to the Georgetown Visitation.  It's part of the 2nd Federation of the Salesian Visitation Sisters.  They are mostly semi-contemplative with a few ministries such as a Visitation Academy for girls and teaching religious education.

http://brooklynvisitationmonastery.org/

In a spirit of generosity and gratitude to God, we share our gifts in community and in self-giving service. This giftedness is expressed in our work, which includes monastic tasks such as gardening, manual labor, cooking, and working in the Refectory, Sacristy, Retreat area, and Infirmary. There are also many other opportunities to be creative and to use the skills that God has given us. Encouragement and appreciation are ways that we help one another discover these unique gifts.

veritasluxmea

Aside from the Sisters of San Jose, are there any other Dominican middle of the road communities? Would Nashville Dominicans or DSMME be considered middle of the road, and why or why not? I know they modified their habit a bit after Vat II, so I'm just curious about where they are on the "scale" lol. 

OnlySunshine

Aside from the Sisters of San Jose, are there any other Dominican middle of the road communities? Would Nashville Dominicans or DSMME be considered middle of the road, and why or why not? I know they modified their habit a bit after Vat II, so I'm just curious about where they are on the "scale" lol. 

I don't think the NDs or DSMMEs qualify, in my opinion.  Even though they have a modified habit, they adhere to the traditional style of formation.  Perhaps, the Dominican Sisters of the Presentation?

I think that the Springfield, IL, Dominicans might qualify.

But I wonder what the definition of "middle of the road" is. Is a habit essential, for example? I would consider the Grand Rapids Dominicans as middle of the road, although most of the sisters do not wear the habit. I am not trying to start a controversy; I am just curious. The Grand Rapids sisters are really wonderful women, and holy (as are many who are not habited).

If a habit is essential here, how about the Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate? Or the Sisters of St. Casimir? I would also include the two US predominantly African American communities: the Oblate Sisters of Providence and the Sisters of the Holy Family. But, again, I am not sure what the criteria are.

PhuturePriest

Help stop the tyranny of female-onlyism in Vocation Station.

The Knights of the Holy Eucharist

The Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word

Edited by FuturePriest387

Lilllabettt

re: definition of "middle of the road" - this is all relative ins't it. It matters where we are starting from if we are going to determine the middle. 

the definition of "middle of the road" I was using when I started this thread so long ago included communities with a modified habit- basically to mean a uniform dress which outwardly identifies women as Sisters.

I do not consider the ND/DSMME habit a "modified" habit. But apart from that they both have a rather conservative interpretation of religious life. 

I think "middle of the road"  (as I am using the phrase) is a combination of things.

Separating them from more progressive groups: they live in community, they have a uniform dress, they have traditional devotions (to Mary, the Eucharist, etc.)

Separating them from more traditional groups: they have a modified habit, restrict communication/contact much less, are more flexible about apostolate, formation program is based on psychology, more modern interpretation of the vow of obedience. 

veritasluxmea

I'm not sure what the criteria is either- Would the Congregation of the Sisters of Notre Dame be considered middle of the road or just on the other side of the road? From my impressions, I'm not sure I would put the Parish Visitors as middle of the road unless we're using stricter standards- but then I would place the Sisters of Notre Dame squarely on the other side of the road. I don't know, I think a 1-10 scale could be more accurate. 

Lilllabettt

Help stop the tyranny of female-onlyism in Vocation Station.

The Knights of the Holy Eucharist

The Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word

I would not consider these communities "middle of the road." They are very traditional. 

veritasluxmea

Just read Lilllabettt's post and that clears up some of the confusion. Thank you for the comments on ND/DSMME.