An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Start Your Own Order...what Would It Be?

lookingforfaith

lookingforfaith

So basically...if you could start your own religious order, what would it be like? What would the spirituality be? Benedictine? Franciscan? Dominican? Carmelite? What would the aposolate/Charism be? Prayer/Contemplation? Catechism? Education? Working with the poor? Would you be habited? Why or why not? What would the habits look like? What would your community life be like? Basically think about your perfect order and have fun with it!

lookingforfaith

I am so sorry!![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/duh.gif[/img]

Mods please feel free to delete the thread then...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]

no if you were looking for a more serious conversation on it we can use this thread for that. The ppc is more for fun.

JMJ
Sisters of Charity. Latin Mass. I have several thoughts. I won't bug you guys with that unless you would like me to...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='25 July 2010 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1280100740' post='2148026']
JMJ
Sisters of Charity. Latin Mass. I have several thoughts. I won't bug you guys with that unless you would like me to...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I would love to hear about anything you want to tell us.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='25 July 2010 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1280099848' post='2148021']
I am so sorry!![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/duh.gif[/img]

Mods please feel free to delete the thread then...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Don't feel bad. I think the idea that this thread is more for serious responses and the PPC is more for fun is a good one. But, the PPC isn't all silliness--we're in the early stages of planning the monastery, what chapels we would like, what habit we would like, etc. So, it's fun, but people get to express what they would love to have in a monastery, too--We're finding out a lot about each other.

BTW--PPC stands for Phatmass Phemale Community. Essentially, it's Vocation Station translated into a religious community. So, since all of us on Phatmass are very different, the PPC is an exercise in compromise, and as a result, isn't exactly your ordinary community.

The name of the Monastery is "Our Lady of Peace"--peace in so many ways, but one of them is having a religious community where women who are entirely different can learn to live together in peace. Sometimes the debate threads in other parts of Phatmass can get quite heated, but Vocation Station in general, and PPC in particular, is a haven of peace.

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='25 July 2010 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1280099235' post='2148016']
So basically...if you could start your own religious order, what would it be like? What would the spirituality be? Benedictine? Franciscan? Dominican? Carmelite? What would the aposolate/Charism be? Prayer/Contemplation? Catechism? Education? Working with the poor? Would you be habited? Why or why not? What would the habits look like? What would your community life be like? Basically think about your perfect order and have fun with it!
[/quote]

Hrrmmmm...

There would be a LOT of simplicity, freeness in the attire, in a simple comfy chair in a very simple, yet not austere chapel. Barefoot in chapel, and freedom to do so any time you feel like it. Simple yet comfy couches in recreation room. Freedom to have a ball in recreation! Run around, play tag, ball, bicycle, UNO, etc.

Not sure when, but sometimes talk at meals, and joke, tease, other times spiritual tape/book, or silence at meal.

Lots of love, joy, sincere concern and laughter amongst the Sisters.

DEFINITELY a simple habit and veil. Color dark so stains wouldn't show, heh.

Lots of adoration and free private prayer first thing in morning. Office together, but not too high, not monotone. VERY slow, gentle, meditative rosary together once a day. Bible sharing. Beautiful singing.

Apostolate #1 contemplative prayer, and some work... Simple cleaning work around the convent. Deep, small, simple spiritual talks/retreat/conference. From time to time, throw in some fun time sharing the faith with kiddies (simple about Adoration, love, the Saints, etc.) and play games with them. Evangelizing -- share the faith with non-Catholics. Visit Catholics in the hospital.

ADDITION: Hermitage for retreats as needed. Retreat once a month and a long one once a year or so. Daily Mass. Wonderful, deep homilies with Holy priests.

Send in deep, simple, holy, loving religious to keep teaching and spiritual direction to the Sisters throughout their entire life as Sisters! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know... what spirituality does this sound like?

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='25 July 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1280101621' post='2148033']
Hrrmmmm...

There would be a LOT of simplicity, freeness in the attire, in a simple comfy chair in a very simple, yet not austere chapel. Barefoot in chapel, and freedom to do so any time you feel like it. Simple yet comfy couches in recreation room. Freedom to have a ball in recreation! Run around, play tag, ball, bicycle, UNO, etc.

Not sure when, but sometimes talk at meals, and joke, tease, other times spiritual tape/book, or silence at meal.

Lots of adoration and free private prayer first thing in morning. Office together, but not too high, not monotone. VERY slow, gentle, meditative rosary together once a day. Bible sharing. Beautiful singing.

Apostolate #1 contemplative prayer, and some work... Simple cleaning work around the convent. Deep, small, simple spiritual talks/retreat/conference. From time to time, throw in some fun time sharing the faith with kiddies (simple about Adoration, love, the Saints, etc.) and play games with them. Evangelizing -- share the faith with non-Catholics. Visit Catholics in the hospital.

Send in deep, simple, holy, loving religious to keep teaching and spiritual direction to the Sisters throughout their entire life as Sisters! :)

[/quote]

I don't know what particular charism this sounds like (i'd say the simplicity strikes me as Franciscan, but could really be anything), but from your description, it sounds like the first couple of years of formation in my future community. That's pretty much what we do. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='25 July 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1280101621' post='2148033']
Hrrmmmm...

Send in deep, simple, holy, loving religious to keep teaching and spiritual direction to the Sisters throughout their entire life as Sisters! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

[/quote]

I am very ignorant about the different spritualities, so I will let someone else answer that.

But please come over to the PPC and add your ideas--we need you! We may be a wee bit more conservative in some things at least on its face--Liturgy of the Hours because some of the Sisters want to be contemplative, but others want to be Active, so there will be flexibility, since Active Sisters can't be there all day. The Active sisters haven't talked much about their apostolate, so definitely add some of your ideas there. Habited most of the time (except in the pool--where we wear modest swimsuits) and sandals as our standard footwear (including in chapel).

Right now we haven't finalized our habit, but it will be simple, and I think we've finally agreed on some combination of white and darker blue. (The reason for not having a totally dark habit is that I would get depressed wearing only dark colors.) As for stains (a big concern of mine), I intend to wear a work-style apron in the refectory when I eat! We already plan to have an excellent cook, but not lavish or extravagent meals. Each meal will have a choice of a vegetarian and non-vegetarian entree, for the Carmelites among us.

Think about your religious name. Most Sisters have picked serious names--some a little more humorous. Mine is a mixture--Sister Mary Polycarp of the Late Rising. (My health prevents me from getting up at 5 am.) I am the librarian/archivist.

We haven't talked much about recreation or the recreation room at all. My contribution of an indoor pool is strictly for health reasons. (SURE it is. LOL) Maybe we need a gym for games etc during the winter.

We have talked some about the chapel, but come to no final conclusions at all. There will also be a Mary chapel--with a heavy Carmelite influence, and a Chapel of the Crucifixion (for people who like bloody pictures).

The name of the Monastery is Our Lady of Peace (and when I'm feeling silly, Our Lady of Peace and Quiet). The chapel will be dedicated to St. Joseph. Simple cells for everyone, but the option of a hermitage. Wedding dresses at the clothing ceremony (except for me, because I've been married and would feel like an idiot).

Please join us. The idea is that everyone will get a few things they REALLY want badly, and nothing they can't live with. (We're good at finding compromises.)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img] Waddaijussee? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/covereyes.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/biglol.gif[/img]

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='25 July 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1280103109' post='2148042']
Wow, you leave in like 10 days. Wonderful. What is your community?
[/quote]
Haha, no. I've got a little over fourty days left. (oh boy, just realized the symbolism there and now I'm kinda scared haha. :P ) I'm joining the Sisters of saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration in Mishawaka IN. :woot:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='25 July 2010 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1280103815' post='2148052']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img] Waddaijussee? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/covereyes.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/biglol.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Please forgive my cluelessness, but I don't get it. Sorry.

lookingforfaith

Well since I made the thread I may as well answer it...thank you for not being irritated with the idea of this thread with the PPC here...heheh

We would be Franciscan with a special devotion to the Blessed Sacrament with an hour of Adoration in the morning and each sister would have a scheduled half hour of private Adoration. She would be allowed to sing, pray out loud, pray the rosary aloud, basically do whatever the Holy Spirit leads her to do. We would also have daily Mass and pray the divine office and the rosary together. (Joyfully of course)

Our habits would be simple brown, black veils with sandals. Barefoot in chapel definately but we would have the option to go barefoot wherever we wanted to. (Inside anyway) and dark brown/black shoes in winter. (I live in MA...there is a lot of snow)

Our charism would be mainly catechesis and retreat work. Like discernment retreats and other kinds of Catholic women's retreats. But we would also do some pro-life work like praying outside of abortion "clinics" and handing out pro-life material to the women going in. (Non confrontational, but letting them know that they do indeed have options) We would also do parish ministry and help out with youth groups. Not to mention doing simple work around the convent..such as cleaning, laundry, cooking..taking care of the older sisters..and making rosaries to sell online (or in a gift shop) and give away to people. And we would let people call, email or write us, requesting prayers and we would pray for them.