An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Start Your Own Order...what Would It Be?

lookingforfaith

TeresaBenedicta

Well, I wouldn't be [i]starting[/i] a new order, per se, but starting a new Dominican community of religious sisters. The Dominicans of Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom. Our apostolate would be mostly intellectual, with a touch of evangelization as well. Our sisters would teach at the University level, work for a new Philosophical/Theological publishing company (ran by the community), give lectures, write books, etc. During the summer the sisters would host retreats geared specifically toward students and teachers. The sisters themselves would also take a two-week retreat for themselves.

Preferably the sisters would be grouped together when teaching at Universities, with at least three composing of a singular convent. Best case scenario would be something like Providence College, where the sisters could teach along with the friars.

The Dominicans of Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom would clearly be very Thomistic. Each sister, regardless of their academic specialty, would be well-versed in the basics of Thomistic philosophy and theology. The community as a whole would be ordered toward the renewal of traditional Thomistic thinking and interpretation. Specifically they would seek to renew the proper theology of grace as St. Thomas himself taught.

The Motherhouse would be located about half an hour outside of DC, on Maryland grounds. It would have a magnificent library, of course. The grounds would be vast and beautiful. And the chapel would be absolutely breath-taking!! There would be only a high altar, although the Mass would be in the Ordinary Form (ad orientem), although for certain occasions, the Extraordinary Form would be celebrated. Lots of gold with statues of the cherubim kneeling for Our Lord in the Tabernacle. There would be small altars along the side of the chapel with statues and altars dedicated to the great Dominican saints. The stain-glassed windows would be of the mysteries of the rosary.

The daily schedule would look something like this (fairly similar to the DSMME, I think):

5:00am Rise
5:30am Eucharistic Holy Hour (silent)
6:30am Lauds (chanted) and Mass
7:30am Breakfast
8am-4pm Apostolate
4:30pm Spiritual Reading/Exercise/Free Time
5:30pm Vespers (chanted)
6:00pm Dinner
7-10pm Recreation/Study/Prayer/Work (required presence at Recreation for 1/2hr, then free)
10pm Profound Silence

Those who stay at the Motherhouse (either for formation or for apostolates that don't require them to go off the ground) will gather together for midday prayer, the rosary, and lunch.

Let's see... Oh! The sisters would be allowed call home at their discretion after they have professed simple vows. Typically this wouldn't exceed once a week. Letters are unrestricted (send and receive as many as wanted, friends & family). After simple profession, sisters would be allowed to go home for two weeks per year-- one week during the summer and one week during the first/second week of January.

Postulancy would last between 3-9 months and can be extended to a year if needed. Rolling entrances. The novitiate would be one year, extended to two if needed. Profession of simple vows for one year, renewed for the length of five years. Then final profession of vows. The postulants would wear a black skirt and white shirt, no vest, and a simple veil. Reception of the Dominican habit (full veil, no hair showing which means, yes, the hair gets chopped) and religious name at acceptance into the Novitiate.

Formation would take place prior to further education. A bachelor's degree would be required prior to entrance, but higher education would be provided by the community. Studies would take place at the DHS or the Angelicum in Rome.

Hm... I think that's about all I can think of right now. :unsure:

The Brothers of St. Joseph, Carpenter, an urban men's order.

Annual vows only, similar to the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent De Paul.

Habit would be brown work shirt & pants, a crucifix around the neck worn inside the shirt, and work boots.

Ministry would be house renovation/repair and maintenance - the brothers buy an existing shell, rehab it themselves, sell it to someone (of the poor persuasion) at a profit but a reasonable price, teach them how to maintain the house themselves, keep some of the profit to sustain themselves and roll some of it over into buying a new shell.

Brothers in the house attend daily Mass at the local parish; morning and evening prayer in common at the house; rosary after supper.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='25 July 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1280106861' post='2148084']
Love the emotiexpression. Looks like you are just bursting with joy and excitement!

What apostolate are you going with in your order?
[/quote]
Um, I'm not sure yet. We do mainly teaching and nursing, but I wouldn't start either till after I made first vows. I would love to be a nurse, but I don't think I can stomach it. I would like to teach at a university level if I had to teach. I really don't think I could teach kids any more than once a week Sunday school or something. My patience would go fast!!

So yeah, I'm hoping to pull through on nursing. Maybe a pediatric nurse. I like kids (mostly). :D

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='25 July 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1280114605' post='2148126']
Well, I wouldn't be [i]starting[/i] a new order, per se, but starting a new Dominican community of religious sisters. The Dominicans of Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom. Our apostolate would be mostly intellectual, with a touch of evangelization as well. Our sisters would teach at the University level, work for a new Philosophical/Theological publishing company (ran by the community), give lectures, write books, etc. During the summer the sisters would host retreats geared specifically toward students and teachers. The sisters themselves would also take a two-week retreat for themselves.

Preferably the sisters would be grouped together when teaching at Universities, with at least three composing of a singular convent. Best case scenario would be something like Providence College, where the sisters could teach along with the friars.

The Dominicans of Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom would clearly be very Thomistic. Each sister, regardless of their academic specialty, would be well-versed in the basics of Thomistic philosophy and theology. The community as a whole would be ordered toward the renewal of traditional Thomistic thinking and interpretation. Specifically they would seek to renew the proper theology of grace as St. Thomas himself taught.

The Motherhouse would be located about half an hour outside of DC, on Maryland grounds. It would have a magnificent library, of course. The grounds would be vast and beautiful. And the chapel would be absolutely breath-taking!! There would be only a high altar, although the Mass would be in the Ordinary Form (ad orientem), although for certain occasions, the Extraordinary Form would be celebrated. Lots of gold with statues of the cherubim kneeling for Our Lord in the Tabernacle. There would be small altars along the side of the chapel with statues and altars dedicated to the great Dominican saints. The stain-glassed windows would be of the mysteries of the rosary.

The daily schedule would look something like this (fairly similar to the DSMME, I think):

8am-4pm Apostolate
7-10pm Recreation/Study/Prayer/Work (required presence at Recreation for 1/2hr, then free)
10pm Profound Silence

Those who stay at the Motherhouse (either for formation or for apostolates that don't require them to go off the ground) will gather together for midday prayer, the rosary, and lunch.

Let's see... Oh! The sisters would be allowed call home at their discretion after they have professed simple vows. Typically this wouldn't exceed once a week. Letters are unrestricted (send and receive as many as wanted, friends & family). After simple profession, sisters would be allowed to go home for two weeks per year-- one week during the summer and one week during the first/second week of January.

Postulancy would last between 3-9 months and can be extended to a year if needed. Rolling entrances. The novitiate would be one year, extended to two if needed. Profession of simple vows for one year, renewed for the length of five years. Then final profession of vows. The postulants would wear a black skirt and white shirt, no vest, and a simple veil. Reception of the Dominican habit (full veil, no hair showing which means, yes, the hair gets chopped) and religious name at acceptance into the Novitiate.

Formation would take place prior to further education. A bachelor's degree would be required prior to entrance, but higher education would be provided by the community. Studies would take place at the DHS or the Angelicum in Rome.

Hm... I think that's about all I can think of right now. :unsure:
[/quote]

Oh my goodness! :o TB, I'd want to join this one! :woot:

:think:

Hmmmm.... or perhaps I would tweak it only slightly. I'm trying to remember that one thread where I thought about the "Dominicans of the Immaculate". I can't remember exactly what I wrote there, but I'd probably make it some kind of hybrid with yours and whatever I had written. Here are some of the "tweaks" and/or additions:

- having four vows, with the 1st being a Vow of Total Consecration to Our Lady (via de Montfort, a 3rd Order Dominican, by the way ;) )
- semi-contemplative missionary Order, not restricted to a expansion within a singular Province
- I [b]adore[/b] the importance of traditional Thomism has in your DOLSW!!! Sooo, I'd totally have that as well!
- working along side the Dominican friars in various apostolates, whether intellectual or evangelization. I would prefer a secondary charism of evangelization through all licit means to spread devotion and love of Our Lady and traditional Thomism. SPREAD THE TRUUUUUTH! :sword:
- if sandals are chosen to be worn (alongside "sensible black lace-up shoes" :lol: ), then the sandals would be worn [i]sans[/i] socks. Hah!
- full tunic reaching [i]just above[/i] the feet
- postulants would wear habits like the Lockport Dominicans :love:
- love the retreat apostolate you mentioned, TB! :yes:
- barefoot in the chapel
- a clear love for Lady Poverty in all communal possessions
- Oh! And I would love to bring back the wedding dress for the Investiture, exchanging the earthly wedding dress for that of the Bride of Christ! :smokey:
- chanting of the Angelus (or Regina Coeli during Easter) in Latin three times throughout the day
- all Liturgy of the Hours would be taken from the [url="http://dominican-liturgy.blogspot.com/"]Antiphonarium pro Liturgia Horarum iuxta Usum Ordinis Praedicatorum[/url] (check out the left side bar for free PDFs!) :love:

[i]Maria, Mater Vertitatis -- ora pro nobis!
Mary, Mother of Truth -- pray for us![/i]

Hmmm Im trying to figure out how to combine the Discalced Carmelites with the first Order of female Jesuits. :scratchhead:

[quote name='CatherineM' date='25 July 2010 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1280106528' post='2148079']
A lay third order for married couples. Franciscan ideas of frugality and simplicity with Benedictine spirituality. Major emphasis on education.
[/quote]

I really wish there were something like that. There are many "third Orders" that I've discerned about joining, but none really "hits the mark", so-to-speak. I LOVE Opus Dei and their ideas, but I'm really not in a position to join, and they're much more inclined towards professionals than housewives.

I've considered the Archconfraternity of Christian Mothers, but it seems they don't have a specific structure, and I think I'd be lucky to find a group where I am. (Pittsburgh is where the headquarters is located). Plus, it would be great if it were something I could do with my husband.

It would be great if there were something like a more structured Confraternity of Christian Mothers ... more like an actual third order, but open to married couples (as opposed to just mothers), and with an emphasis on family life. Know of anything out there like that?

This truly isn't a reprimand for anyone else, it's just my own thinking on it: honestly I'm not into the whole idea of thinking up my own Order, even just for fun. There are countless communities out there who have been founded by the Holy Spirit, and when the Holy Spirit inspires another one, it's a long, trying, prayerful process (blood, sweat, and tears, for sure!). But if I could find an existing Order that fits what I'm looking for and what I feel God is calling me to, then horray! :woot:

Edited by CherieMadame

JMJ
The Sisters of Charity- the Reform!

I have known several Sisters of Charity, most of them elderly, and they have always expressed sadness over the loss of their apostolates, habits, wedding rings, and just about everything that makes them who they are. So, if I "started" anything, I would definitley make it a reform of the sisters of charity. It would be TLM, with Latin Divine Office. BUT! There would also be a branch for the orthodox so they could have Mass in their own Rite.
There would be three different congregations, on contemplative, one nursing, one teaching, all missionary. And that is in the sense of going anywhere with the Gospel. The contemplative sisters would say the whole office, and the active sisters would just say morning and evening hrs, supplementing the rest with the Little Office when possible. The habit would be like the old Nashville dominican one, but with a purple veil and scapular. There would be a different guimpe for each congregation...and...I need to go for breakfast, and this is rather long for me!

[quote name='vee8' date='26 July 2010 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1280151578' post='2148196']
Hmmm Im trying to figure out how to combine the Discalced Carmelites with the first Order of female Jesuits. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_head.gif[/img]
[/quote]

That seems ... an impossible combination. Discalced Carmelites so emphasize separation from the world. Jesuits are all about finding God in the midst of the busy-ness of the world. "Find God in all things." They do have a big emphasis on retreats and contemplation, but it's always always always structured to be ultimately pointing back to engagement with the world.

My order would be largely female Jesuits too. (I really should explore the women's communities that are Ignatian. And I do like that they were established as their own communities -- which means they have women leadership -- rather than being under the authority of the men, as is the case for Dominicans or Carmelites.) Something of an emphasis on education and scholarship, but possibilities of all sorts of different apostolates. Finding God in all things.

Very modified habit -- or maybe it would be optional (like in a lot of communities the younger sisters don't wear habits but for the Golden Jubilarians some of them wear habits and some don't -- we'd be like that but across the age range) or maybe we'd wear habits sometimes, when it's particularly appropriate, but it wouldn't be a second skin. There can be value in having a "uniform" but habits would not be blessed and considered sacramentals. They're just clothes.

Live in community. Pray the morning and night prayers of the Daily Office together (if you're absent sometimes that's okay) -- most people will be out doing stuff during the day so pray the noon prayers on your own.

Active and vibrant lay branch in partnership with the consecrated religious.

Maybe my thoughts would be more suited to a "secular institute" than a "religious congregation" -- all the different categories confuse me sometimes. But whatever category it goes in, that's what I'd choose.

I thought the Sisters of Charity's headpiece (Victorian bonnet) was kind of strange -- until I saw the whatever-the-heck-that-is that the Vincentian Daughters of Charity used.

Oh my.

I would suggest that you not bring that back. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='25 July 2010 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1280114605' post='2148126']

8am-4pm Apostolate
10pm Profound Silence

Hm... I think that's about all I can think of right now.
[/quote]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 July 2010 - 08:07 AM' timestamp='1280149658' post='2148187']
Oh my goodness! TB, I'd want to join this one!

Hmmmm.... or perhaps I would tweak it only slightly. I'm trying to remember that one thread where I thought about the "Dominicans of the Immaculate". I can't remember exactly what I wrote there, but I'd probably make it some kind of hybrid with yours and whatever I had written. Here are some of the "tweaks" and/or additions:

- having four vows, with the 1st being a Vow of Total Consecration to Our Lady (via de Montfort, a 3rd Order Dominican, by the way )
- semi-contemplative missionary Order, not restricted to a expansion within a singular Province
- I [b]adore[/b] the importance of traditional Thomism has in your DOLSW!!! Sooo, I'd totally have that as well!
- working along side the Dominican friars in various apostolates, whether intellectual or evangelization. I would prefer a secondary charism of evangelization through all licit means to spread devotion and love of Our Lady and traditional Thomism. SPREAD THE TRUUUUUTH!
- if sandals are chosen to be worn (alongside "sensible black lace-up shoes" ), then the sandals would be worn [i]sans[/i] socks. Hah!
- postulants would wear habits like the Lockport Dominicans
- love the retreat apostolate you mentioned, TB!
- barefoot in the chapel
- Oh! And I would love to bring back the wedding dress for the Investiture, exchanging the earthly wedding dress for that of the Bride of Christ!
- chanting of the Angelus (or Regina Coeli during Easter) in Latin three times throughout the day
- all Liturgy of the Hours would be taken from the [url="http://dominican-liturgy.blogspot.com/"]Antiphonarium pro Liturgia Horarum iuxta Usum Ordinis Praedicatorum[/url] (check out the left side bar for free PDFs!)

[/quote]

Both of these communities sound wonderful!

It is SO frustrating that while my mind is active, my body has different ideas.

Even if I could get my body trained to get up at 5:00 am, then I'd have to go nap for a few hours before lunch (and probably again right after lunch). Arrgghhh.

I need an Order for women whose minds are still good--I already have a Master's and could have easily gone for a PhD, school is pretty easy for me--I graduated with honors from top schools. I still have things to offer (I've learned I am a very good teacher, but not for children), and would want a traditional order, but I can't live the regimented life--or would at least need the flexibility to join in prayers when I can and not be castigated when I can't. I have bad days and good days and I don't know until I get up in the morning (sometimes even then) which it will be. As you can tell from my posts, I have a VERY strong will so it is not laziness. Even Social Security Disability, who turns down 85% of applicants when they first apply, accepted me. Social Security has seen so many slackers they can spot one from a mile off and I'm obvisously not that. (I'm also not demented or psychotic--not that I was worried, but now it's official.)

But, the thing I miss most is community. I've gotten used to living alone, so a traditional community sounds a little overwhelming to me--I have always needed a lot of time to myself, and now I need even more. That's why I'd love a hermitage (maybe moving to a cell when the weather gets bad or if I'm going through a phase, as I was most of last Spring, where my legs were so weak I could barely walk). But, living alone, I don't eat well enough, so having a refectory with a good cook sounds like heaven, and I bet I would feel better.

And, I'd join the Community for prayers as much as possible.

But to have someone to talk to.......Heaven. But, people my age are busy with jobs, families, etc. They don't have free time to spare for themselves, much less someone like me.

I know this sounds like a retirement community, and since I need to move in the next year or so, I'll probably end up somewhere like that. But, I'm NOT elderly! And, although I enjoy the company of older people, it is also difficult because they often have hearing problems etc. Or else, they are so physically active they don't understand why I'm not. As my father keeps saying to me, "You're too young to be sick. You can't be sick until your 80's."

I'm going to stop this post because I'm starting to cry. (When I start to cry, I know I've hit an issue that is very important to me.)
And, if someone tells me to quit complaining and offer it up, my arms are still pretty strong and I'll do this.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/getaclue.gif[/img]

Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='26 July 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1280184359' post='2148447']
Both of these communities sound wonderful!

It is SO frustrating that while my mind is active, my body has different ideas.

Even if I could get my body trained to get up at 5:00 am, then I'd have to go nap for a few hours before lunch (and probably again right after lunch). Arrgghhh.

I need an Order for women whose minds are still good--I already have a Master's and could have easily gone for a PhD, school is pretty easy for me--I graduated with honors from top schools. I still have things to offer (I've learned I am a very good teacher, but not for children), and would want a traditional order, but I can't live the regimented life--or would at least need the flexibility to join in prayers when I can and not be castigated when I can't. I have bad days and good days and I don't know until I get up in the morning (sometimes even then) which it will be. As you can tell from my posts, I have a VERY strong will so it is not laziness. Even Social Security Disability, who turns down 85% of applicants when they first apply, accepted me. Social Security has seen so many slackers they can spot one from a mile off and I'm obvisously not that. (I'm also not demented or psychotic--not that I was worried, but now it's official.)

But, the thing I miss most is community. I've gotten used to living alone, so a traditional community sounds a little overwhelming to me--I have always needed a lot of time to myself, and now I need even more. That's why I'd love a hermitage (maybe moving to a cell when the weather gets bad or if I'm going through a phase, as I was most of last Spring, where my legs were so weak I could barely walk). But, living alone, I don't eat well enough, so having a refectory with a good cook sounds like heaven, and I bet I would feel better.

And, I'd join the Community for prayers as much as possible.

But to have someone to talk to.......Heaven. But, people my age are busy with jobs, families, etc. They don't have free time to spare for themselves, much less someone like me.

I know this sounds like a retirement community, and since I need to move in the next year or so, I'll probably end up somewhere like that. But, I'm NOT elderly! And, although I enjoy the company of older people, it is also difficult because they often have hearing problems etc. Or else, they are so physically active they don't understand why I'm not. As my father keeps saying to me, "You're too young to be sick. You can't be sick until your 80's."

I'm going to stop this post because I'm starting to cry. (When I start to cry, I know I've hit an issue that is very important to me.)
And, if someone tells me to quit complaining and offer it up, my arms are still pretty strong and I'll do this.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/getaclue.gif[/img]
[/quote]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

That sounds like my kind of community. I'm in my mid forties and feel like I'm ninety when I see age limits ending at 35. I know that God will get me where He wants me to be, but its HARD some days. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 July 2010 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1280149658' post='2148187']
Oh my goodness! :o TB, I'd want to join this one! :woot:

:think:

- having four vows, with the 1st being a Vow of Total Consecration to Our Lady (via de Montfort, a 3rd Order Dominican, by the way ;) )
- working along side the Dominican friars in various apostolates, whether intellectual or evangelization. I would prefer a secondary charism of evangelization through all licit means to spread devotion and love of Our Lady and traditional Thomism. SPREAD THE TRUUUUUTH! :sword:
- if sandals are chosen to be worn (alongside "sensible black lace-up shoes" :lol: ), then the sandals would be worn [i]sans[/i] socks. Hah!
- postulants would wear habits like the Lockport Dominicans :love:
- love the retreat apostolate you mentioned, TB! :yes:
- barefoot in the chapel
- Oh! And I would love to bring back the wedding dress for the Investiture, exchanging the earthly wedding dress for that of the Bride of Christ! :smokey:
- all Liturgy of the Hours would be taken from the [url="http://dominican-liturgy.blogspot.com/"]Antiphonarium pro Liturgia Horarum iuxta Usum Ordinis Praedicatorum[/url] (check out the left side bar for free PDFs!) :love:

[/quote]

I knew I forgot some stuff!!! I accept these additions full-heartedly!!! :-D

You know, LC, if things don't work out in England... :deal: Or better yet, you should go through formation and make vows, then come back here to the US and we'll get it running!! I surely should be done paying off my loans by then!!

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='25 July 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1280106323' post='2148075']
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the cap that Passionists wear under their veil is what helps keep the veil on. (It has velcro on it.) Also, in the very conservative cloistered Passionists like the Ellisville Passionists, it covers their shaved head.

But, as I understand it (and this is where I want someone to speak up if I'm wrong), it seems like many Orders with veils wear a cap underneath it, to help hold it on--even simple veils like the Nashville Dominicans. And, when you watch the clothing ceremonies of various orders that wear wimples and guimpes, I think even they wear a cap underneath. I'm not sure all veiled Orders wear caps, however. I don't think the Sisters across the street from me, who wear a simple veil, wear a cap, but instead a wire inside the veil keeps it on.

One of the Nashville Dominicans said that if she gets sweaty during games, the cap underneath keeps the veil from getting sweaty and the cap is easily washed. Also, apparently many Orders wear a T-shirt (often a plain men's T-shirt) under the habit to keep it from getting sweaty, because, as I understand it, most Orders only change habits once a week or two (or possibly longer) and it's easier to wash and change a T-shirt every day.

Also, I think that one of the reasons that the choir stalls of many Orders of nuns/Sisters have high sides is so that the nuns/Sisters can't see the face of the Sister sitting next to them.
[/quote]

Yes but this isn't real, and I don't like the look of them as much as the look of veils without. The cloistered Passionists (the ones with the blog) have this kind of veil, as well as one of the communities in the Community of St. John.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='26 July 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1280189482' post='2148475']
I knew I forgot some stuff!!! I accept these additions full-heartedly!!! :-D

You know, LC, if things don't work out in England... :deal: Or better yet, you should go through formation and make vows, then come back here to the US and we'll get it running!! I surely should be done paying off my loans by then!!
[/quote]

It's a deal, TB! :lol: Oooh, and I forgot one last thing: SIESTA AFTER LUNCH! :woot: :snore: