Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='04 August 2010 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1280959605' post='2152262']
My point exactly, it has been changed to offer that Johnson beat impeachment by one vote, BUT, Clinton was impeached by a full vote of the senate members of the impeachment board. They left him in office and decided not to prosecute ( kick him out of office) as his term was near over and he was a lame duck President at the time anyway. So where they have posted "both were acquitted at trial" this is an error.

Uh, how would you say that in latin, and would that be any better to use latin?:))

ed
[/quote]
:idontknow: How does the impeachment process work?

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='04 August 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1280960232' post='2152270']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/idontknow.gif[/img] How does the impeachment process work?
[/quote]

We throw ripe peaches at him. It's the pits.

Posted

I would say referring to Catholicism as "Romanism" is a dead giveaway

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 August 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1280960359' post='2152272']
We throw ripe peaches at him. It's the pits.
[/quote]
...who says politics aren't exciting?

Posted

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='04 August 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1280959605' post='2152262']
My point exactly, it has been changed to offer that Johnson beat impeachment by one vote, BUT, Clinton was impeached by a full vote of the senate members of the impeachment board. They left him in office and decided not to prosecute ( kick him out of office) as his term was near over and he was a lame duck President at the time anyway. So where they have posted "both were acquitted at trial" this is an error.
[/quote]
[quote name='Terra Firma' date='04 August 2010 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1280957025' post='2152222']
Johnson beat CONVICTION by one vote, after he was impeached. He and Clinton remain the only two presidents to have been impeached.
[/quote]
Both were acquitted at trial and escaped CONVICTION after they were IMPEACHED.


Anyway, to get back on topic ...

There's a marked difference in the ways in which Protestants and Catholics pray, which is linguistic. But it's hard to put that difference into words. Part of it is what isn't included -- no references to saints, for example. And the prayers tend to be more free-form, while Catholics tend to rely on the "old standards" like the Hail Mary or "Bless Us Oh Lord."

KnightofChrist
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' date='04 August 2010 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1280959043' post='2152258']
i thought the topic was about when someone is a non-Catholic and their terminology is a 'dead-giveaway' that they are not Catholic, not [b]"What is better: Latin or English"[/b].
[/quote]

That has not been my argument. Only that the use of Latin is good and should not be suppressed.

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='04 August 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1280960501' post='2152275']
There's a marked difference in the ways in which Protestants and Catholics pray, which is linguistic. But it's hard to put that difference into words. Part of it is what isn't included -- no references to saints, for example. And the prayers tend to be more free-form, while Catholics tend to rely on the "old standards" like the Hail Mary or "Bless Us Oh Lord."
[/quote]

I think that's a very good way to tell the difference between Catholic and Protestant, at least most of the time. Anglicans tend to pray like Catholics (and also normally would say St. Paul instead of just Paul). However, there are different points of view on whether Anglicans are Protestants, and that is not the subject under discussion (so I have no plans to discuss it).

Hilde might know better, but I think Lutherans also use the term "Saint" in front of the names of the Apostles, etc. The only way I know this is that their congregations tend to be named St. Paul, or whatever. I've never been in a Lutheran Church, so I have no idea what their services are like.

But, I have been to Baptist and Presbyterian services, as well as a few other miscellaneous deonominations I can't remember, and Terra Firma has an excellent point. Their services are not liturgical. About the only "set" prayer they use on a regular basis is The Lord's Prayer.

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='04 August 2010 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1280960982' post='2152279']
That has not been my argument. Only that the use of Latin is good and should not be suppressed.
[/quote]

Man-up KofC. You made a typo. Big deal. Everyone on Phatmass makes typos all the time. No one cares. Don't try to pass off a typo as actually writing in Latin. A real man says, "Whoops. I made a typo," and doesn't make excuses.

It doesn't matter whether or not your intention was to show off--it had that appearance. A good writer, in any language, tries to make his or her points as easily understandable as possible by ALL members of the audience. If you want to speak differently among your friends after Latin class, that's cool. But, if you want to come across as mature AND a good writer, you want to try to avoid the appearance of showing off, because that makes you come across as immature, which I'm assuming you aren't.

It's just reality. Deal with it. Acting like a twit puts people off. While it doesn't matter so much on Phatmass (we just roll our eyes), the habit could hurt you later when you are in a job. Any job. Co-workers dislike people who appear to be show-offs--even if that wasn't the person's intention. It's how you are perceived, not your intention. Bluntly, I'm giving you good advice, and trying to help, because I think you are an okay guy. Feel free to ignore me. But, tell me in 20 or 30 years if I wasn't right over the long term.

Sorry to get off topic. I'm leaving the thread anyway.

Posted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 August 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1280962732' post='2152287']
Man-up KofC. You made a typo. Big deal. Everyone on Phatmass makes typos all the time. No one cares. Don't try to pass off a typo as actually writing in Latin. A real man says, "Whoops. I made a typo," and doesn't make excuses.

It doesn't matter whether or not your intention was to show off--it had that appearance. A good writer, in any language, tries to make his or her points as easily understandable as possible by ALL members of the audience. If you want to speak differently among your friends after Latin class, that's cool. But, if you want to come across as mature AND a good writer, you want to try to avoid the appearance of showing off, because that makes you come across as immature, which I'm assuming you aren't.

It's just reality. Deal with it. Acting like a twit puts people off. While it doesn't matter so much on Phatmass (we just roll our eyes), the habit could hurt you later when you are in a job. Any job. Co-workers dislike people who appear to be show-offs--even if that wasn't the person's intention. It's how you are perceived, not your intention. Bluntly, I'm giving you good advice, and trying to help, because I think you are an okay guy. Feel free to ignore me. But, tell me in 20 or 30 years if I wasn't right over the long term.

Sorry to get off topic. I'm leaving the thread anyway.
[/quote]


+ a bajillion

KnightofChrist
Posted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 August 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1280962732' post='2152287']
Man-up KofC. You made a typo. Big deal. Everyone on Phatmass makes typos all the time. No one cares. Don't try to pass off a typo as actually writing in Latin. A real man says, "Whoops. I made a typo," and doesn't make excuses.

It doesn't matter whether or not your intention was to show off--it had that appearance. A good writer, in any language, tries to make his or her points as easily understandable as possible by ALL members of the audience. If you want to speak differently among your friends after Latin class, that's cool. But, if you want to come across as mature AND a good writer, you want to try to avoid the appearance of showing off, because that makes you come across as immature, which I'm assuming you aren't.

It's just reality. Deal with it. Acting like a twit puts people off. While it doesn't matter so much on Phatmass (we just roll our eyes), the habit could hurt you later when you are in a job. Any job. Co-workers dislike people who appear to be show-offs--even if that wasn't the person's intention. It's how you are perceived, not your intention. Bluntly, I'm giving you good advice, and trying to help, because I think you are an okay guy. Feel free to ignore me. But, tell me in 20 or 30 years if I wasn't right over the long term.

Sorry to get off topic. I'm leaving the thread anyway.
[/quote]

It was not a typo, I purposely used a [b]latin[/b] word. Because it best desribed what I wanted to say to two other [b]Latin[/b] Catholics, would you please stop crying a river and every time a [b]Latin[/b] Catholic wants and uses a [b]Latin[/b] word or small sentence.

That's what also makes this all related to this thread it's a Dead Giveaway (Of A Linguistic Nature) when [b]Latin[/b] Catholics use [b]Latin[/b], and non-catholics feel need to protest.

Posted

I'm with Knight here. :) (Except, I'm using a smiley face and no emphases. Unless you count the smiley.)

Posted

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='04 August 2010 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1280963137' post='2152294']
It was not a typo, I purposely used a [b]latin[/b] word. Because it best desribed what I wanted to say to two other [b]Latin[/b] Catholics, would you please stop crying a river and every time a [b]Latin[/b] Catholic wants and uses a [b]Latin[/b] word or small sentence.

That's what also makes this all related to this thread it's a Dead Giveaway (Of A Linguistic Nature) when [b]Latin[/b] Catholics use [b]Latin[/b], and non-catholics feel need to protest.
[/quote]


JMJ
gratias

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='04 August 2010 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1280963137' post='2152294']
It was not a typo, I purposely used a [b]latin[/b] word. Because it best desribed what I wanted to say to two other [b]Latin[/b] Catholics, would you please stop crying a river and every time a [b]Latin[/b] Catholic wants and uses a [b]Latin[/b] word or small sentence.

That's what also makes this all related to this thread it's a Dead Giveaway (Of A Linguistic Nature) when [b]Latin[/b] Catholics use [b]Latin[/b], and non-catholics feel need to protest.
[/quote]

Never mind. I tried. You'll understand some day. I truly wish you the best.

Posted

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='04 August 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1280963137' post='2152294']
It was not a typo, I purposely used a [b]latin[/b] word. Because it best desribed what I wanted to say to two other [b]Latin[/b] Catholics, would you please stop crying a river and every time a [b]Latin[/b] Catholic wants and uses a [b]Latin[/b] word or small sentence.

That's what also makes this all related to this thread it's a Dead Giveaway (Of A Linguistic Nature) when [b]Latin[/b] Catholics use [b]Latin[/b], and non-catholics feel need to protest.
[/quote]

If you only wanted to share your message with two others, you could just pm them next time

KnightofChrist
Posted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 August 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1280971911' post='2152373']
Never mind. I tried. You'll understand some day. I truly wish you the best.
[/quote]

I refuse to cease my love for the Language of Mother Church, it's really too bad my small use of her sacred language offends you.

KnightofChrist
Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' date='04 August 2010 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1280972296' post='2152376']
If you only wanted to share your message with two others, you could just pm them next time
[/quote]

I didn't know latin was so hated that I had to use it in secret.

Posted

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='04 August 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1280972589' post='2152382']
I didn't know latin was so hated that I had to use it in secret.
[/quote]

Nope

It has to do with speaking to everyone who is reading. If you just want to speak to one or two people, an open forum is rude.


happy birthday jason!

toledo_jesus
Posted

[quote name='Luigi' date='04 August 2010 - 02:23 AM' timestamp='1280899434' post='2151919']
The story about the British soldier whose life was saved when he picked up his rosary got me to thinking.... (always dangerous, sometimes ugly)....

Do you know [i]ANY[/i] Catholic who uses the term "rosary beads?" I've been Catholic all my life; practically everybody I know is Catholic; [i]nobody[/i] ever says rosary [u]beads[/u] - everybody just says "my rosary, his rosary, saying the rosary, praying the rosary." Rosary beads is a dead giveaway the speaker/writer is not Catholic.

Another example. Dr. Martin Luther King. In his "I Have a Dream" speech, he says the word "Catholic" a couple of times, and he says "... when little Cath-o-lic children can play...." He says all three syllables. I've been Catholic all my life; practically everybody I know is Catholic; [i]nobody[/i] ever says [u]Cath-o-lic[/u] - everybody just says "Cathlic" with two syllables. Cath-o-lic is a dead giveaway that the speaker (writer doesn't apply in this case) is not Catholic.

Have you noticed any other dead giveaways - [i]of a linguistic nature[/i]? I don't mean like walking into a Catholic church and not knowing what the holy water font is. (I did see a sign language interpreter once interpret The Holy See as "holy ocean" - he's Baptist...he doesn't know what the Holy See is. But that one doesn't really count.)

Post others you've noticed, and we'll count 'em up - insiders' ways to quickly identify outsiders.
[/quote]
1. British people have a firmer grasp of the language than Americans, in my experience, and I don't think it's at all weird that one would say "rosary beads."
2. King's vocal inflections were likely a result of the fact that he was a. Southern, b. black, c. speaking to thousands and thousands of people and e-nun-ci-ating.

Biggest giveaway for non-Catholics is during the Our Father at Mass when they keep going.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='04 August 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1280972462' post='2152380']
I refuse to cease my love for the Language of Mother Church, it's really too bad my small use of her sacred language offends you.
[/quote]

I never understood what the big deal was myself. A Latin word here and a Latin phrase there will not kill anyone.

Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='04 August 2010 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1280972879' post='2152387']
I never understood what the big deal was myself. A Latin word here and a Latin phrase there will not kill anyone.
[/quote]

I doubt anyone has an issue with latin. I think its just the attitude of the few that use it. KoC made it clear he is just trying to communicate to one or two other pmers when he does it. I personally find that to be rude behavior and i think its hard to argue against that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...