An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Jesuit Spirituality

Tridenteen

sistersintigo

Don't overlook Mary Ward. An Englishwoman, native I believe of Yorkshire, every bit as tough and stubborn as a Yorkshire native ought to be. She embraced the Ignatian charism. Because she wanted women to be as literate and well-educated as men, the Sisters she started were apostolic, they were educators. England being a hostile place at the time, she headed for the continent, and her congregation was often known as The English Ladies in the vernacular. Jesuits were the target of a lot of hate in those days, and Ignatian women were called some names that are truly unfit to print, which was extended to Mary Ward's Ladies. (Before I forget, she was born Joan Ward, but in religion she changed her name from Joan to Mary.)
Germany, of all places, thought the world of her and her teaching sisters. It is either in Germany or in Austria, as I recall, that a little museum is kept, and they have The Shoes. Wooden-soled shoes, on which Mary Ward literally walked clear to Rome, in order to face her accusers. Yes, they look as if she did just that.
After being incarcerated, and released, Mary Ward eventually learned that it was safe to be in England again and be reunited with her birth-family. Her health was broken, and she went home and died with her relatives.
It was said of Mary Ward, by the Jesuit haters, that Mistress Ward could do more damage than half a dozen Jesuit Fathers. Does that sound like grudging respect.....?

I agree with the comment to pick up the book "The Jesuit guide to (almost) anything." It is a good, easy read. By Fr. James Martin; I've read a number of his books and can usually relate with him (since he started hearing his call as an employee with a large major corporation, akin to my own call).

Its not going to be a read like "Imitation of Christ" for example. Fr. Martin's book is pretty down to earth. I am about 1/2 way through it (got distracted with life ... I really should go back to it soon).