Hilde Posted August 26, 2010 Posted August 26, 2010 So the scapular is a thing I've heard about around the place, but I've never really invested any time in researching it. What's it all about? How do you use it?Will I turn Carmelite? I bought one once, but I dunno where it is now. Maybe if I find it I can fix it( the string thing tore off) and have it blessed.
CatherineM Posted August 26, 2010 Posted August 26, 2010 We had Carmelite nuns and Sisters of Charity as teachers growing up, and we did the whole scapular thing, but I haven't worn one in a long time. I'm allergic to wool.
truthfinder Posted August 26, 2010 Posted August 26, 2010 I have a scapular but I haven't taken the time to ask my priest to properly bless and invest me in it. One day I will.
Maximilianus Posted August 26, 2010 Posted August 26, 2010 I used to wear on until I found out that you have to be invested in it. Now it just hangs over my bed until that day.
Hilde Posted August 26, 2010 Author Posted August 26, 2010 [quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1282858666' post='2163679'] I used to wear on until I found out that you have to be invested in it. Now it just hangs over my bed until that day. [/quote] What do you mean invested in it?
Nihil Obstat Posted August 26, 2010 Posted August 26, 2010 Brown Scapular Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Carmelites) A.D. 1251 "The Brown Scapular of our Lady of Mount Carmel," associated with the Carmelite Order, is the most well-known. In A.D. 16 July 1251, Our Lady appeared to St. Simon Stock in Cambridge, England after he prayed for help for his Order. She appeared to him with the scapular and said, "Take, beloved son this scapular of thy order as a badge of my confraternity and for thee and all Carmelites a special sign of grace; whoever dies in this garment, will not suffer everlasting fire. It is the sign of salvation, a safeguard in dangers, a pledge of peace and of the covenant." Whether this happened exactly in this way or not (St. Simon's original descriptions of the vision are not extant and the wording may not be exact), the Scapular was given to St. Simon Stock, and the devotion spread and was well-known by the 16th c. What can be safely believed because of papal decree is the promise known as the "Sabbatine Privilege." The Sabbatine Privilege is the promise that Our Lady will intercede and pray for those in Purgatory who, in earthly life: wore the Scapular in good faith; were chaste according to their state in life; daily recited the Divine Office or, with the permission of one's Confessor, the Little Office of Our Lady [a shorter form of the Divine Office in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, used by certain religious orders and laity. It is similar to the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the Roman Breviary] or the Rosary; and departed earthly life in charity. You can be enrolled in the Confraternity of our Lady of Mount Carmel by any priest. Just obtain a scapular, take it to him to have it blessed, and express your desire for enrollment. Warning: Some falsely believe that wearing the Brown Scapular offers some sort of guarantee of salvation because of the legendary words attributed to Our Lady. This is against Church teaching, is superstitious and a grave error. Sacramentals are not magical ways to manipulate God; they are Church-instituted rituals/objects that remind us of what we are supposed to be doing/thinking of, that depend on the faith, hope and love of the user, and which help prepare us to receive God's saving grace. One must do more than "wear the scapular"; one must wear it worthily. [url="http://www.fisheaters.com/scapulars.html#brown"]http://www.fisheaters.com/scapulars.html#brown[/url]
Caritas Posted August 26, 2010 Posted August 26, 2010 [quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1282851940' post='2163634'] We had Carmelite nuns and Sisters of Charity as teachers growing up, and we did the whole scapular thing, but I haven't worn one in a long time. I'm allergic to wool. [/quote] They have medal ones for people with allergies.
Maximilianus Posted August 26, 2010 Posted August 26, 2010 (edited) [quote name='Hilde' timestamp='1282859111' post='2163685'] What do you mean invested in it? [/quote] [font="Verdana"] [font="Verdana"][/font][size="2"]To be enrolled into the Scapular using a specific rite.[/size] [font="Verdana"][/font][size="2"]I did some research to make sure what I posted was true and now I'm not sure if it's required to be invested. According to one source [url="http://www.rc.net/lansing/ctk/carmelites/ocds1.htm"](rc.net)[/url] you don't have to. Also in the same source it says that your name gets registered with the order, where as in other sources it says it's not. I found atleast three different ways to be invested. One came with the scapular I ordered. The other I found on [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=1086"]Catholic Culture[/url], which claims to be the correct form. The third way I found on [url="http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/brown_scapular.HTM"]EWTN[/url] and is the shortest. [/size] [/font] Edited August 27, 2010 by Maximilianus
TeresaBenedicta Posted August 27, 2010 Posted August 27, 2010 I voted "No" although, admittedly, I do put mine on every once in a while. I'm not invested because I don't wear it consistently and I am not ready/willing to commit to the requirements that come with being invested. Instead, I wear a miraculous medal as a sign of my consecration to the Blessed Mother. I know that through my consecration I am completely under Our Lady's mantel, so I don't really see the need to participate in a separate or additional devotion. I think that the scapular devotion is a good one, as is consecration, and other Marian devotions... they are all directed toward a healthy trust in the Blessed Mother. But sometimes I will put on my scapular at night time or when playing sports if I don't want to tangle up my chain for my miraculous medal.
MissScripture Posted August 27, 2010 Posted August 27, 2010 [quote name='Caritas' timestamp='1282861722' post='2163711'] They have medal ones for people with allergies. [/quote] I tried that and found out I'm also allergic to the metal! I know that you don't need to be "re-enrolled" if you get a new scapular (because it broke or something), but what if you were enrolled and stopped wearing it for a long time for whatever reason?
Sarah147 Posted August 27, 2010 Posted August 27, 2010 (edited) Of the brown Scapular: "To all those who wear Her Scapular in a worthy manner, the Virgin Queen of Carmel makes a wonderful threefold pledge... to protect them during life, to preserve them from the fires of Hell, and to release them from Purgatory on the First Saturday after death!" There are many different kinds of Scapulars. Like the green Scapular, which I believe is for conversion and health. I'm not sure about all the others. Edited August 27, 2010 by JoyfulLife
vee Posted August 27, 2010 Posted August 27, 2010 (edited) [quote name='truthfinder' timestamp='1282855331' post='2163662'] I have a scapular but I haven't taken the time to ask my priest to properly bless and invest me in it. One day I will. [/quote] ditto edited to add I voted planning to Edited August 27, 2010 by vee8
MissScripture Posted August 27, 2010 Posted August 27, 2010 [quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1282872361' post='2163821'] Of the brown Scapular: "To all those who wear Her Scapular in a worthy manner, the Virgin Queen of Carmel makes a wonderful threefold pledge... to protect them during life, to preserve them from the fires of Hell, and to release them from Purgatory on the First Saturday after death!" There are many different kinds of Scapulars. Like the green Scapular, which I believe is for conversion and health. I'm not sure about all the others. [/quote] The green scapular is for conversion, so my sister kept one in her locker when she was in high school, and it was surprising how the school started improving. Then my sister left, and with her, the green scapular, and it's not been going well, there, again.
Micah Posted August 27, 2010 Posted August 27, 2010 Yeah, first day wearing it. It got really itchy after the shower. <__<
Marie-Therese Posted August 30, 2010 Posted August 30, 2010 [quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1282868380' post='2163749'] I know that you don't need to be "re-enrolled" if you get a new scapular (because it broke or something), but what if you were enrolled and stopped wearing it for a long time for whatever reason? [/quote] Once enrolled, it's permanent. Even if you do not wear the scapular faithfully or practice the requirements of enrollment with regularity, it is a blessing that remains in place. Simply pray to remain faithful, put the scapular on, and go about your business. The investiture never stops. [quote name='Micah' timestamp='1282940917' post='2164239'] Yeah, first day wearing it. It got really itchy after the shower. <__< [/quote] I know a lot of people don't take them off for showers, but that is the only time I remove mine. Otherwise my clothes would stay soaked because of a wet scapular. I just remove it to bathe and then replace it right afterwards.
MissScripture Posted August 30, 2010 Posted August 30, 2010 [quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1283147116' post='2165306'] Once enrolled, it's permanent. Even if you do not wear the scapular faithfully or practice the requirements of enrollment with regularity, it is a blessing that remains in place. Simply pray to remain faithful, put the scapular on, and go about your business. The investiture never stops. I know a lot of people don't take them off for showers, but that is the only time I remove mine. Otherwise my clothes would stay soaked because of a wet scapular. I just remove it to bathe and then replace it right afterwards. [/quote] So...what if you're not sure if you were enrolled or not...I vaguely remember possibly being enrolled when I got my first scapular, but that was back in 7th grade, so I don't know if I was or not.
Son of Immaculata Posted August 30, 2010 Posted August 30, 2010 [quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1283174630' post='2165346'] So...what if you're not sure if you were enrolled or not...I vaguely remember possibly being enrolled when I got my first scapular, but that was back in 7th grade, so I don't know if I was or not. [/quote] I had the same problem. I just had my priest re-enroll me. I'm sure it isn't hurtful or offensive.
Hilde Posted September 4, 2010 Author Posted September 4, 2010 [img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/Hildemv/poll.jpg[/img] Lol
Miss Hepburn Posted September 4, 2010 Posted September 4, 2010 (edited) No,They are all draped on my altars and outdoor shrine along with the 75 rosaries I've bought at garage sales and the one that was turned golden from silver brought back from Medjagorie and near my font collections (fount?). And near my giant wooden rosaries gifted to me. Rambled... Miss Hepburn Micah, you're avatar is too cool for words!! Edited September 4, 2010 by Miss Hepburn
Micah Posted September 14, 2010 Posted September 14, 2010 (edited) [quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1283174630' post='2165346'] So...what if you're not sure if you were enrolled or not...I vaguely remember possibly being enrolled when I got my first scapular, but that was back in 7th grade, so I don't know if I was or not. [/quote] Once enrolled always enrolled. After the initial enrollment and blessing, you can wear new ones without a prob. Edit: forgot, this is only for the cloth scapular. Edited September 14, 2010 by Micah
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now