An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Start Rcia On Wednesday

eustace scrubb

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1286725468' post='2178928']
I had to quit today because of my health. :(

Did some googling and saw that some places do individual instruction for people with health problems. I'm going to look into that.
[/quote]

I'm very sorry to hear that Eustace. You were so excited about going! As you may know from other posts I have made, I also have health problems that would make it pretty much impossible for me to attend a regular weekly RCIA class, were that ever to be in my future. At least it sounds as if you are able to attend Mass.

I hope that not being able to attend RCIA will not affect your friendship with a certain young woman. :joecool:

eustace scrubb

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1286733171' post='2178949']
I'm very sorry to hear that Eustace. You were so excited about going! As you may know from other posts I have made, I also have health problems that would make it pretty much impossible for me to attend a regular weekly RCIA class, were that ever to be in my future. At least it sounds as if you are able to attend Mass.[/quote]

Thanks. This is incredibly frustrating, but at least there's the chance of getting individual instruction. For almost two decades now, I have had health problems that make almost every morning a hellish experience. And worst of all, no treatment has worked for it. :(

What I'm most disappointed by in all of this is the fact that the Church requires RCIA members to go to early mass and take classes that early. Not everyone can do that. People have health issues, jobs, and family constraints (especially single mothers and people with newborns and/or infants) that make going early in the morning something that they can't do. I understand that there's a lack of priests, but there really isn't any excuse for not having other times for people. This is just common sense...

At least I can make 5:30pm mass on a semi-regular basis.

[quote]I hope that not being able to attend RCIA will not affect your friendship with a certain young woman. :joecool:
[/quote]

haha thank you. :)

And I doubt it will.

I hope you enjoy RCIA. In the Eastern Orthodox Church, catachumens do not get to enjoy a formal process like that of RCIA. I applaud the Western Church for doing this.

eustace scrubb

I'm pretty disappointed about not being able to do this, but as I go to four different religious services a week (mass, house church, charismatic catholic prayer group, 20's/30's catholic group...), still have crappy health, and am moving, this probably isn't the time to be doing RCIA.

*sigh*

Btw I've been doing the rosary more often lately and there's a church that does the Latin mass just a five minute bus ride from where I currently live. Looking forward to checking that out...

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1287182971' post='2179873']
Btw I've been doing the rosary more often lately and there's a church that does the Latin mass just a five minute bus ride from where I currently live. Looking forward to checking that out...
[/quote]

This is awesome! Keep following where He leads....

eustace scrubb

Thanks... I'm pretty exhausted, physically and emotionally, from the past week. Was really sick for the beginning of it. Plus I bungled something with that girl, which stressed me out a lot, but thankfully, I got good advice and, Lord willing, will follow it if I see her tomorrow at house church. On that note, please pray about that situation... I'm pretty nervous about it...

Again, thank you all for your support... It means a lot.

Edited by eustace scrubb

As a future DRE in training still getting my degree in theology, I'll take note of making it a priority to offer individual RCIA instruction and advertise that well.

eustace scrubb

Thank you, I'm glad that something good has come of all this...

Btw that girl wasn't at house church and things are weird between us now. And it was just as well that she didn't come to house church this monday, as I was really worked up. Unfortunately, some really bad stuff happened that made me decide that I need to leave. Three of them "prophesied" some really anti-Catholic stuff over me last week and this week, where I had invited them to come to a Charismatic mass and they said that they'd come... no one did. Attitudes towards my faith had shifted very negatively already, though, so it makes sense. I'm really hurt and completely done with the idea of "house churches" now. They will still be my friends, but I may never be able to open up to them the way I had ever again.

Thankfully, I talked to a Catholic friend tonight who has a busy schedule but made time for me and they encouraged me a lot. And my best friend, who I almost never see, due to his working two demanding jobs and being married, walked two miles to my house to hang out. He was concerned about and wanted to spend some time with me and said a number of things that were really encouraging to me, especially in regards to Catholic community. I feel very happy and at peace now.

The BS gets tiresome after a while. Been there done that. I hope you can find a good RCIA program or maybe you can do something privately. Sounds like you've had some problems finding an RCIA program with solid content. One book that might help augment what you are learning is Peter Kreeft's [u]Catholic Christianity[/u]. I recommended it to my now Goddaughter in England. I read it through regularly as well. It is a good basic introduction and follows the structure of the CCC.

eustace scrubb

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1288457479' post='2183660']
The BS gets tiresome after a while. Been there done that. I hope you can find a good RCIA program or maybe you can do something privately. Sounds like you've had some problems finding an RCIA program with solid content. One book that might help augment what you are learning is Peter Kreeft's [u]Catholic Christianity[/u]. I recommended it to my now Goddaughter in England. I read it through regularly as well. It is a good basic introduction and follows the structure of the CCC.
[/quote]

yeah, really... no apostolic authority + doctrinal confusion = constant problems. that's really all there is to it.

i love peter kreeft!!! i took out his handbook on catholic apologetics from the library recently (the only one in the entire system for my city...) and it's awesome!!! i've mostly heard his lectures, but i'm equally impressed by his writing. definitely the closest thing we have to a modern-day G.K. Chesterton. i'm actually considering being him for halloween, because of the resemblance... :)

eustace scrubb

It's been three weeks without hearing from that girl and I've called, left voicemail, texted, and facebooked... I finally got the hint about it yesterday. Passive-aggression blows. I've been depressed about it, but... I knew going into it that she wasn't my type and that she was an evangelical (who was open to Catholicism, but still...), so... yeah... learning experience... Guess I dodged a bullet there...

In addition to that, I left my house church, which makes things (at least temporarily) weird between about half my friends and I, which is really painful, as they were my main support network in many ways. Plus my health hasn't been the greatest lately, my finances are taking a huge hit from the local electric company, who is ripping me off, and I'm dealing with other stuff on top of that. Like my sister announcing to my family that she's moving to L.A. in order to get more involved with Scientology, which has been very hard on my family...

I'm in a very vulnerable spot right now, so please continue to keep me in prayer. I've had a lot of difficulty reading the Word, doing contemplative prayer, and praying the rosary.

eustace scrubb

Doing better each day with the girl thing.

Turned out that what happened at the house church was a miscommunication. And there's still people there interested in the Church. I'm going to return and see how things are...