An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Start Rcia On Wednesday

eustace scrubb

eustace scrubb

Does the board host blogs or is there a site where you guys have ones where only you guys can read what's on them? Like a blog community or circle or something where you have to be a member to read stuff?

I think that my making long threads like these, with a lot of personal info being public and accessible via google is a bad idea. And yeah, I do it because of how small my support network is, but I don't need it to cause me problems offline.

[ Edit: This makes me miss the days of live journal, which had great privacy settings and communities... ]

Edited by eustace scrubb

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I had to quit RCIA a couple of times in the past couple of years due to my health problems (I hardly leave my house as it is...) :( This year I am trying it again, and only hoping I can get through it. It's very hard because I feel like I am losing faith or don't believe anymore sometimes, and because of my fears of actually being catholic and just so many other fears, I don't want to explain it all, and I have ex catholics in my family. It's discouraging! But I know I want to become catholic, I need too! Thankfully, I get to meet with someone on my own time. Anyways, I just wanted to share because I can relate with some of what you've been through. I hope you can find a way to do RCIA! :)

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1286750901' post='2178977']What I'm most disappointed by in all of this is the fact that the Church requires RCIA members to go to early mass and take classes that early. Not everyone can do that. People have health issues, jobs, and family constraints (especially single mothers and people with newborns and/or infants) that make going early in the morning something that they can't do. I understand that there's a lack of priests, but there really isn't any excuse for not having other times for people. This is just common sense...

At least I can make 5:30pm mass on a semi-regular basis.[/quote]
You should ask the DRE at the Dominic church (St. Gerts, I think it was) if he/she is willing to meet with you on an individual basis on a day and time that works better for you. Your health problems obviously require it. Also, this is not an unusual request. DRE's get that sort of thing all the time. I myself am a DRE and have often had to accommodate people in that way. Personally, I'm willing to do whatever it takes if it means one more person experiences the fullness of the Catholic Church!

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1287422185' post='2180401']
As a future DRE in training still getting my degree in theology, I'll take note of making it a priority to offer individual RCIA instruction and advertise that well.[/quote]
Yes, please do. This is very important. As a DRE, you must strive to win souls for Christ.

Also, Eustace, or anyone else for that matter, if you would like to learn more about what the RCIA process is like and what you should expect from it when it is functioning as it should, please see the page on my parish's website that outlines the RCIA process that I run:
http://www.blessedmotherchurch.com/rcia.php

Of course, I take no credit for this. I learned from the best: very wise and experienced professors at FUS! (where I got my M.A. in Theology and my Certification in Catechetics)

I've been away from phatmass for a while, but I would like to slowly return, to help whenever I can. I am a "Church Scholar" (or, I WAS anyway, I seem to have been demoted, perhaps b/c of my prolonged absense). At any rate, if you have an questions about RCIA or about Catholicism in general, just let me know.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

Guest Catholic C

I'm sorry it didn't go well (and for my delayed response to this thread), but have you considered studying the [url="www.catholiccompany.com/catechism-catholic-church-p1001150/"]Catholic Catechism[/url] on your own? Maybe that with discussion and praying with your friend will help. I was born and raised Catholic, so I've never been through RCIA. My best friend id going through RCIA, and though she mentioned most are older, they sound like they are friendly and helpful—she looks forward to her RCIA classes. On the other hand, she also enjoys asking me questions about Catholicism—says she sometimes just wants clarification/explanation from someone her age. It's nice for us both since it causes both of us to think.

• 2 weeks later...

I started RCIA about a month ago. I am rather enjoying it. I live in a small town, so there aren't a whole lot of choices as to where I can take it. Fortunately, I like the parish priest and know some of my classmates. I figure that I am there for me - so won't be dissuaded no matter what, anyhow :)

• 3 weeks later...
eustace scrubb

I was offered private RCIA from two different people. Haven't been able to do it yet, though. My health is worse and I'm in therapy for sexual trauma that occurred to me when I was younger. I blacked out around two decades of my life for a reason. Dealing with this is like open heart surgery without anesthetic. If you haven't been there, you have no idea how painful this is. Being around people isn't something I can handle most of the time.

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1295108887' post='2200347']
I was offered private RCIA from two different people. Haven't been able to do it yet, though. My health is worse and I'm in therapy for sexual trauma that occurred to me when I was younger. I blacked out around two decades of my life for a reason. Dealing with this is like open heart surgery without anesthetic. If you haven't been there, you have no idea how painful this is. Being around people isn't something I can handle most of the time.
[/quote]

I to a certain extent get it. I've been sexually harassed by my own dad which involved inappropriate touching. I've got a certain nervousness about men because of it.

eustace scrubb

I'm sorry to hear that, Therese... I hope that you can find healing for that...

Chamomile, thank you. I need it.