An Old School Catholic Message Board

Democrats, Obama, Quran Burning, And The Brooklyn Museum

Chi Zhuzi

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1284239269' post='2171993']
you might get lots of props from republicans and catholics sure.
and there's something respectable abotu sticking up for your religion and such.
but it's not like there's a concerted effort by democrats to disrespect catholics, while defending islam. and, it's even mroe the case that it's not the democratic party line to do so, and probably not even done by most democrats. all you're doing is noticing a social convention, something that's acceptable and not 'right'.
do you see the islamic republicans pushing to switch parties cause tehre's a lot of republicans who want to burn the quaran, or dont want them to build the mosque? no that would be a silly reason to leave. it's akin to catholics leaving the catholic church because peodophile priests exist. it doesjn't have anything to do with teh teachings themself etc, doesnt say about thing about whether thye are 'right', etc.
you should find another way to get attanetion to this subject than switching parties.
so in essense... [b]to be blunt. you're just whinning and acting irrationally.[/b]
[/quote]

Whining is a good thing, or at least it can be, one should realize that by looking at contemporary feminism and much of the racial politics that goes on in the United States. Mind you, I'm not free of racial politics myself, I was going to vote for Obama anyways just because he was "black" (mulatto really). That he's one of the greatest orators in U.S. political history just even helped that all the more.

Muslims are a minority in the Republican party. I doubt they even have a significant representation. Catholics gave much to the Democratic party as well as the United States of America. On my German-American side, I have blood relations that fought in U.S. wars dating to the Civil War (on the side of the Union). And Protestant work ethic? They were busy sitting behind desks with their college diplomas on the wall. It was the Catholic Poles, Germans, Irish, and Italians etc... slaving away in those early 20th century factories for peanuts. Then Catholic-Americans built schools, universities, and hospitals in this nation.

But even more than, that the issue of Jesus and the Virgin Mary become fundamental. We are not to deny Jesus - or his mother - while becoming complicit in the reverence of Mohammad.

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1284254061' post='2172092']
You missed my question.

I'll restate it a little bit better.

Can we not just take good things from both? Is there anything wrong with that?
[/quote]

taking things from both parties is a good thing. picking one over the other is wrong, since niether party is completly right. its just morally wrong to pick the moral aspects of the democratic party, since they as a whole stand for abortion, gay marriage, contraception and so on. although taking some of there government running ideas is not a bad idea at all. i support some of the ideas of the democratic party and some of the republican party. republican more when it comes to moral issues and democratic on somes issues of government.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1284248837' post='2172056']
in these current times with the current politicians we have, voting democrate/liberal and being catholic can not go together. to much of what democrates/liberals stand for is against the catholic church. your one or the other, not both. they contradict each other to much.
[/quote]

It's not easy to reconcile the Republican party to Catholic Social Justice Teaching either.

But it's my feeling that similar to the Republican party becoming more infiltrated by white supremacist sympathizers after the 60's when black folks began leaving the Rep's for the Dem's, the Democratic party has at some point become infiltrated by to many interest groups in direct opposition to the Catholic Church, namely but not limited to, militant feminists and homosexual advocates.

If the Muslims were as large in number in the U.S. as Catholics, the Democrats would be demonizing them too, because of the consequence of the Muslim lobbying power.

The Catholic Church has strong - but weakened - lobbying power. It's a bit of a myth that as single individuals in the U.S. we have much political power. Really, aside from the rich and celebrities, the average person participates in American politics through interest groups. These same interest groups tell us what is proper to think, and who the "enemy" is.

So, in a certain sense, the war of propaganda (and seizing church property through lawsuits) against the Catholic Church, Jesus, and Mary, are diabolical.

[quote name='Chi Zhuzi' timestamp='1284256131' post='2172112']
It's not easy to reconcile the Republican party to Catholic Social Justice Teaching either.

But it's my feeling that similar to the Republican party becoming more infiltrated by white supremacist sympathizers after the 60's when black folks began leaving the Rep's for the Dem's, the Democratic party has at some point become infiltrated by to many interest groups in direct opposition to the Catholic Church, namely but not limited to, militant feminists and homosexual advocates.

If the Muslims were as large in number in the U.S. as Catholics, the Democrats would be demonizing them too, because of the consequence of the Muslim lobbying power.

The Catholic Church has strong - but weakened - lobbying power. It's a bit of a myth that as single individuals in the U.S. we have much political power. Really, aside from the rich and celebrities, the average person participates in American politics through interest groups. These same interest groups tell us what is proper to think, and who the "enemy" is.

So, in a certain sense, the war of propaganda (and seizing church property through lawsuits) against the Catholic Church, Jesus, and Mary, are diabolical.
[/quote]

i am sorry, but i just can;t stand it when someone says its a myth that single individuals have political power. this is flat out wrong. in the past this may have been correct but now with the tea party movement, this is so not true. the tea party is quickly becoming a party unto itself, a party without lobbiests. you want to know why that is. its cause the individual american said they are sick and tired of the current system of lobbiests having more say and they are changing it.

when people complain about the individual not having any voting power, all they are doing is giving the lobbiests what they want, true power.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1284251550' post='2172079']
I'm a Democrat. I occasionally get to vote for a democrat who is pro-life.
[/quote]
Not a big fan of the individual moral agency of man, I take it.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1284263252' post='2172145']
Not a big fan of the individual moral agency of man, I take it.
[/quote]
I tired, so I have no idea what that means.

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1284263769' post='2172147']
I tired, so I have no idea what that means.
[/quote]
It means part of the Democrat platform is to deny people their right to defend themselves.