An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chain Reaction, Potiental Catholics

littleflower+JMJ

littleflower+JMJ

when converting its not just one......who feels it.....

of all the things that you are....brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, children, co-workers, friends......

as converts, as catholics, who are now one with the Catholic Faith, those you love, friends, whatever it may be also may be feeling it also...numerous questions, a new curiosity, a better understanding now seeing a fellow friend become catholic....

is there others, around you, who might become catholic now that you are?

i have heard of a parent converting, soon after the spouse and children, and soon after famillies and close friends...such as scott hahn and patty bonds whos friends also soon followed after....

has there been a domino effect? or at least a better chance of educating and sharing the faith with your loved ones? (even co-workers)

i know things take time and only God can change hearts but seeing others search and ask as once you did can help others find the road easier....

+JMJ

None of my close friends or family members have expressed definite interest in becoming Catholic yet, but my conversion has definitely opened doors of communication that otherwise wouldn't be open.

And who knows where that will lead ... (except God, of course)

My parents and sister have said emphatically that they will never convert. :sadder: I hope and pray they have a change of heart someday, though.

Don't give up praying Dave! My dad used to argue with me about Christianity and claimed to be an agnostic - he was hugely resistant to Christianity. Twenty years later, much to my amazement since I had only a little amount of faith that he would change, he had come to believe and was attending a church regularly....
All things are possible with God, even if we only have the smallest amount of faith!

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Metenoia...a change of Heart. That's what God does to people. He does it every day. Pray that He may change the hearts of those whom are dear to our hearts, yet do not see the Truth.

Pax et Agape per Maria, Andy

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

I pray that my Mom may realize that The Catholic Church is the True Christian Church...I love her.

Mary, Mother of God...be with my mother, hold her hand even though she doesn't know you. Pray for her even though she does not want you to. Guide her, even though she does not want to follow. Inspire her, even though she may not understand. Reveal to her, even though she may not look. Show her, even though she may not see. Hug her until she opens her arms to hug you back. Mary, be in my mother, help her to love the Church like Christ loved you. Mary ask your most merciful Son to have mercy on my mom and those who do not believe in the Apostolic teaching you instituted. I pray that she may one day rest within the arms of the Catholic Church, with all the Angels and Saints.

I love you Mary, please be with my Mom whom I love so dear. Amen.

Pax et Agape per Maria, Andy

homeschoolmom

My husband and I are sort of the result of a chain reaction. We were looking for arguements against the Church to keep our Russian student from converting. Last spring she told us she was going to anyway. We continued to study... and were received at Easter.

I have a friend who is a former Catholic who is currently a Methodist. She is reading and learning stuff she never knew before. She is interested somewhat in going back to the Church. However, her agnostic-ish husband is only willing to go to the Methodist church. She is hoping that sometime soon they can all go back to the Catholic church. I am not pushing, since I agree that it's better for her husband to go to church with them, for now. He is a very smart guy. I think she will be encouraging him to read what she's been reading. Then maybe the Lord will change his heart about the Catholic Church and they can all start going there.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Apr 19 2004, 07:00 PM'] St Monica prayed 20 years for her son - and the Church got St Augustine as a result. :) [/quote]
I love St. Monica! She is such a model of perserverance.

• 2 weeks later...
photosynthesis

I started going to church again in college after making friends with two converts. they really made me realize that the Catholic Faith is worth believing. they were always like "yeah converts" "converts are special" and "woohoo converts" which kind of made me feel like chopped liver because i grew up in the church and then left. but they were still cool and taught me a lot.

Well, after coming back to the Church about four years ago, my mom converted and was welcomed into the Church this past Easter.

Also, in the RCIA classes we had a woman who's husband and daughter are Catholic. Now in the new RCIA classes for next Easter (which we've already started due to overwhelming interest), we have that woman's mother and brother. It's a family thing for them. The brother just got married to a girl from Mexico, who actually took him and the mother to their first Mass down there. It's beautiful story, when they tell it. ;)

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Apr 19 2004, 06:00 PM'] St Monica prayed 20 years for her son - and the Church got St Augustine as a result. :) [/quote]
i hope i don't have to wait that long for my husband. :sadder:

Hey Lil Red....we're praying with you! ;)

My sponsor was cradle Catholic and hadn't been to Mass for many years....she started coming along with me when I started going so we've kind of been growing together! :D

A colleague at work also recently told me that he was raised a Catholic but 'wasn't practising' and has been really inspired as a result of conversations we've been having and is now going to Mass regularly......Phatmass teaching reaches beyond the web! :ph34r: :pebcam: :lol:

• 1 month later...

I had an interesting experience this evening ... I went to a wedding and ran into a couple who I've not seen for a while but who are good friends ... we were catching up, and the husband told me they are seriously considering Catholicism. I was amazed! I had no idea they were considering it. I wish we could've sat down and talked for hours on end much more seriously, but we couldn't so we'll have to e-mail back and forth instead (they live a ways away).

But yes, it was good to see them, and good to hear of where they are on their journey. Ha ha ... I almost didn't go to the wedding, but I'm SO glad I did.