Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

dauntingknight
Posted

So I've finally decide to look at the rules of phatmass to see if anything has changed since the last time I checked and.......

"CATHOLIC VS CATHOLIC DEBATE - A post or comment that results in doctrinal debates that might cause scandal among the faithful.[u] Any negative criticism of religious or the current Magisterium[/u] will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass, The Traditional Latin Mass, or our [u]Holy Father[/u]."

What's with this I mean I accept Pope Bendict 16th as my Spiritual Papa, but uh he is a normal human being just like you and me. Meaning that he is a fallible being.
I do aggree that just outlandishly insulting him (or any Person) is wrong but I think this needs some revision here.

Or am I just reading it wrong.
If so please explain.

Posted

It has more to do with criticizing his writings, or pronouncements, or activities within his position rather than the man himself.

Posted

You saw the rule that you can't criticize me right?

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff) (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1285899992' post='2177161']
You saw the rule that you can't criticize me right?
[/quote]
:o YOU'RE THE HOLY FATHER?!?

Posted

Play nice, or they aren't going to let you play with the sharp scissors anymore.

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1285900644' post='2177169']
Play nice, or they aren't going to let you play with the sharp scissors anymore.
[/quote]
I'm not allowed to play with sharp things yet, anyway. After the watermelon incident, they said that they'll reconsider letting me use knives to cut my food when I'm 35. :|

Posted

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1285900837' post='2177171']
I'm not allowed to play with sharp things yet, anyway. After the watermelon incident, they said that they'll reconsider letting me use knives to cut my food when I'm 35. :|
[/quote]
I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to that overgrown adolescent. I should know one when I see one, because I'm one too.

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1285900974' post='2177173']
I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to that overgrown adolescent. I should know one when I see one, because I'm one too.
[/quote]
Oh...so I AM allowed to play with the sharp scissors?!? SCORE! :dance:

Brother Adam
Posted

[quote name='dauntingknight' timestamp='1285895753' post='2177141']
So I've finally decide to look at the rules of phatmass to see if anything has changed since the last time I checked and.......

"CATHOLIC VS CATHOLIC DEBATE - A post or comment that results in doctrinal debates that might cause scandal among the faithful.[u] Any negative criticism of religious or the current Magisterium[/u] will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass, The Traditional Latin Mass, or our [u]Holy Father[/u]."

What's with this I mean I accept Pope Bendict 16th as my Spiritual Papa, but uh he is a normal human being just like you and me. Meaning that he is a fallible being.
I do aggree that just outlandishly insulting him (or any Person) is wrong but I think this needs some revision here.

Or am I just reading it wrong.
If so please explain.
[/quote]

This has been a rule for a long time. His office demands our respect by its very nature.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='dauntingknight' timestamp='1285895753' post='2177141']
So I've finally decide to look at the rules of phatmass to see if anything has changed since the last time I checked and......."CATHOLIC VS CATHOLIC DEBATE - A post or comment that results in doctrinal debates that might cause scandal among the faithful.[u] Any negative criticism of religious or the current Magisterium[/u] will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass, The Traditional Latin Mass, or our [u]Holy Father[/u]."What's with this I mean I accept Pope Bendict 16th as my Spiritual Papa, but uh he is a normal human being just like you and me. Meaning that he is a fallible being. I do aggree that just outlandishly insulting him (or any Person) is wrong but I think this needs some revision here.Or am I just reading it wrong.If so please explain.
[/quote]


[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1285904778' post='2177182']
This has been a rule for a long time. His office demands our respect by its very nature.
[/quote]

Yep. This rule has been in place for YEARS. There was recently a revision of the rule, but that was rescinded and the old one put back in place. This is old news. Negative criticism has never been allowed.

Posted

so is there any point in non catholics posting in debate threads?

Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1285908967' post='2177202']
so is there any point in non catholics posting in debate threads?
[/quote]

you can, but if you do youll have to answer to the.... INQUISITORIAL MUFFINNN [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/muffin.gif[/img]

am got into the red wines tonight.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1285908967' post='2177202']
so is there any point in non catholics posting in debate threads?
[/quote]

I would say that there is a distinction between disagreeing or constructive criticism and negatively criticizing. There is a certain amount of leeway given to non-Catholics because obviously they don't have the same respect for those offices as Catholics do. However name calling and outright hostility aren't generally tolerated. There have been times when non-Catholics posts have been edited because they crossed the line with their anti-Catholic rhetoric and name calling. I don't believe you have ever been warned for simply disagreeing so the answer to that should be pretty obvious from your standpoint. ;)

Posted

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1285915380' post='2177217']
I would say that there is a distinction between disagreeing or constructive criticism and negatively criticizing. There is a certain amount of leeway given to non-Catholics because obviously they don't have the same respect for those offices as Catholics do. However name calling and outright hostility aren't generally tolerated. There have been times when non-Catholics posts have been edited because they crossed the line with their anti-Catholic rhetoric and name calling. I don't believe you have ever been warned for simply disagreeing so the answer to that should be pretty obvious from your standpoint. ;)
[/quote]

ok was just wondering, since it seemed the wording was changed from when i first joined, and havent posted much since recent change.


i guess so eh? :P

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

Dust did cut a few words out to make it more concise. He had made a post several years ago that started off with "Starting now any negative criticism..." and that was added to the rule when we were having a lot of issues with Catholics dishing out negative criticism. He had intended it to be part of the rule, I believe, from the beginning, but it wasn't expressly stated. Adding it was just a formality to notify everyone that it was an editable offense. But, again, this was at least 5 years ago. Anyway, what dauntingknight quoted is the same rule, just slightly reworded. I could probably find the old wording somewhere, but it's essentially the same, he just removed like 2 words and some asterisks.

If people are that shocked by what it says right now then they must not have been paying very close attention to the guidelines for the last umpteen years. :|

Posted

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1285915380' post='2177217']
I would say that there is a distinction between disagreeing or constructive criticism and negatively criticizing. There is a certain amount of leeway given to non-Catholics because obviously they don't have the same respect for those offices as Catholics do. However name calling and outright hostility aren't generally tolerated. There have been times when non-Catholics posts have been edited because they crossed the line with their anti-Catholic rhetoric and name calling. I don't believe you have ever been warned for simply disagreeing so the answer to that should be pretty obvious from your standpoint. ;)
[/quote]
I see the same distinction, which is why I never had a problem with the rule until it the revision a month or so ago, which has apparently since been rescinded.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' timestamp='1285943283' post='2177273']
I see the same distinction, which is why I never had a problem with the rule until it the revision a month or so ago, which has apparently since been rescinded.
[/quote]

Yep. We're back to business as usual. :saint:

Posted

Saying you don't believe in papal infallibility as a protestant is a tad different from calling the Pope a word that is slang for excrement.

Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1285917490' post='2177224']
ok was just wondering, since it seemed the wording was changed from when i first joined, and havent posted much since recent change.


i guess so eh? :P
[/quote]

You can't be serious

Posted

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGy1S_JyB3k[/media]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...